Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

At the boarder- your comments and/or advise

At the boarder- your comments and/or advise

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At the boarder- your comments and/or advise

I would really appreciate your comment and or advise on the following.

My husband lives in States and I live in Canada. We already submitted the application for the sponsorship, AOR received from Buffalo last month.

I called the immigration to ask them can my husband come and stay in Canada as visitor until he receives his PR and was told YES, no problem and we do not have to worry about changing the application from outside Canada to inland. Just to make sure after 6 months to renew the visitor visa.

So, my husband is coming.

My concern is how much stuff can my husband bring to Canada? Will they ask him about importing the car, did anybody go thru this?
Did anybody have any problems?
I understand the part to show the immigration the proof that the paper work is in process, but what about items to declair or items to follow? Per example, if my husband want to bring his computer with him, is that a problem?

Thank you all in advance. Please please please comment!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: At the boarder- your comments and/or advise

Anybody?
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point

try searching for my previous posts. I (the USC) came to Canada in exactly the same situation a few months ago. I wrote a fairly long report of my experience. should be dated mid-late december
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replay. I found your past post.
I have a question regarding car importing. What if my husband does not want to import the car, as he is planning to drive back to States at least 2 times before he lands. Can he refuse to import the car?
Thanks.

Jassy
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:25 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jassy
Thank you for your replay. I found your past post.
I have a question regarding car importing. What if my husband does not want to import the car, as he is planning to drive back to States at least 2 times before he lands. Can he refuse to import the car?
Thanks.

Jassy
He can't import it tax and duty free until he is "Landed"

PMM
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could he do a temporary import like I did when I came on a student visa--or does that require a student or employment authorization?

P.S. You might want to check and make sure your husband's car is not on this list, as *mine* is, grrrrr. If it is, he will never be able to import it. Transport Canada told me that within 30 days of landing, I will have to deport my car back to the USA! Luckily it has almost no resale value and my friend in Seattle will get a free car.

http://riv.ca/english/html/us_vehicl...ssibility.html

Last edited by guest210; Mar 25th 2005 at 11:25 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

My husband's car is on the list and is ok to be imported to Canada, it is just that we do not want to import it now. He pays really cheap insurance in States and he already paid for next 6 months. We think that its the best to keep States plates until he lands.
Our concern came up because I read from few people that they had to import it whether they wanted to or not.
Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens next weekend.
Thanks.

Jassy
Old Mar 26th 2005, 1:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jassy
My husband's car is on the list and is ok to be imported to Canada, it is just that we do not want to import it now. He pays really cheap insurance in States and he already paid for next 6 months. We think that its the best to keep States plates until he lands.
Our concern came up because I read from few people that they had to import it whether they wanted to or not.
Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens next weekend.
Thanks.

Jassy
Remember he is not coming as an Immigrant, he is coming as a visitor. It is quite possible that Canada Customs may ask for a bond to ensure that his goods are removed from Canada at the end of his visit or is landed. You should ensure how long the validity of the car insurance is in Canada from his US insurer. Note you cannot drive the car in Canada.

PMM