Best route for us into Canada

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:36 am
Just Joined

jamesroxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best route for us into Canada

Hi All,

A little bit of background first; Me and my Wife are 30 with a son of three years old. We both have catering backgrounds with her having a college qualification in Restaurant Management. Over the past 10 years I have had one year working as a chef, two as a café/restaurant manager one as a Bar Manager and two most recently as an Office Manager in the Civil Service. She has had 3 years working as a café/restaurant manager but has taken some years off recently to raise our child.

I am a British citizen with no relatives in Canada and she is a German national with a sister living in Canada for six months whose husband was contracted and employed from Britain to Vancouver for a skills shortage job. The job he has been doing is not on the NOC list and as such they have not gone down any sort of route to PR but that is their ambition. The husband has a brother who was granted Canadian citizenship over ten years ago and lives in British Columbia

We have savings to make a transition and have around £15,000 saved. Ideally my partner would also like to study which in turn gives us another option.

What would seasoned posters believe is our fastest and easiest route into Canada? We have visited a few times and are quite smitten. I read recently that the NOC listed entry for which we best fit has reached its cap for the period until 31st June 2011 which seems to close that entry off. We are primarily wanting to move to BC and wondering whether their PNP system would allow us entry based on our NOC code despite the overall cap being reached.

Do we apply for the FSW after 31st June assuming that the NOC code is reinstated?

Do we apply for BC PNP based on the current NOC code listing under which we qualify?

Do we apply for her university course, pay the fees and have spousal working permit allowing me to travel with and gain employment which can be made permanent allowing PR?

Help gratefully received.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best route for us into Canada

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by jamesroxy
What would seasoned posters believe is our fastest and easiest route into Canada? We have visited a few times and are quite smitten. I read recently that the NOC listed entry for which we best fit has reached its cap for the period until 31st June 2011 which seems to close that entry off.
The cap has been reached, but even if it hadn't there's no way you'd be able to apply before 1st July anyway. By the time you've got your IELTS result (there is usually a wait of a few weeks for an exam place and then another 2 week wait for results), gathered all of your paperwork, filled in the forms etc, you're probably looking at around 6-8 weeks before you'd be sending it all off.

Skilled Worker would definitely be your quickest easiest route from what you've said, so best thing to do is just keep your fingers crossed that your occupation stays on the list and apply as soon as you can after 1st July. Assuming that you meet the criteria (i.e. can prove you do the duties under that NOC code, have enough points, enough funds, pass the medical etc) that's what I'd recommend.

We are primarily wanting to move to BC and wondering whether their PNP system would allow us entry based on our NOC code despite the overall cap being reached.
You'd need a job offer to apply for the BC PNP though, whereas you wouldn't need one for Skilled Worker as your job is on 'the list'. So it would be much more hassle than a Skilled Worker application as you'd need to find an employer prepared to sponsor you.

Do we apply for her university course, pay the fees and have spousal working permit allowing me to travel with and gain employment which can be made permanent allowing PR?
You could do a study permit, but unless your occupation is removed from 'the list', I can't see any reason why you'd need to. I also think that the £15,000 you've got is unlikely to be enough for a study permit (international tuition fees can be tens of thousands of dollars a year, and you'd have to show $10,000 per year living costs as well). It will depend on the international fees for the course your wife is interested in though, but a study permit wouldn't be as secure a route as a Skilled Worker application, which with a child may not be ideal.

You'll also need to think about whether the £15,000 is enough to do a Skilled Worker application. Do you have any equity in your house that you would be taking with you to add to that? For a family of 3, you need to show funds of at least $17,011 (approx £ 11,000) in your bank account both when you apply and also when you arrive in Canada.

You'll need to add on to this your moving costs - for your application it'll be around £3,000 (visa fees, medical costs, police certs etc - this is assuming you don't use an immigration consultant, if you do then double it), plus flights, shipping, etc, you'll probably need around £10-12,000 to move, but this cannot include the £11,000 you'll need to show when you arrive in Canada. Just something to consider anyway, if you don't have equity as well to add to your savings, then you may need to save a bit more.

HTH, and best of luck.