Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC requesting CV & Qualification Details

IEC requesting CV & Qualification Details

Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough
Smile IEC requesting CV & Qualification Details

Hi all

Have sent off my ACRO police check next step is completing the application kit.

In it they ask to send a copy of my CV. Also in the last few pages details of work experience & qualifications.

I am 30 years old so my qualificiations firstly:

(1) do I need to go as far back as high school and detail my GCSE's?
(2) in my CV, I do not detail exams I failed (only french btw) should i now amend my CV to show this
(3) I did 5 A'Levels all passed but I did these over 3 years in 2 different colleges but on my CV I have listed them all under 1 college just to save space and keep my CV in a 2page format

Now with work experience:

I have worked since I was 16 through out my education and think I have ever only been out of a job for a few weeks at a time.

(1) My previous employer who I had the majority of my IT experience with made me redundent and shortly after went into administration, would this be an issue as I can only give the address where I worked?
(2) Many of my jobs from 16 untill after graduation at uni were temporary jobs through agencies and I have no way of even recalling addresses
(3) Again on my CV I never include these, on my CV my work experience shows from after college and I also dont show barwork that I did now and then (as not relevent to my IT field)

Can someone tell me how much information I should give, given that with work experience I honestly cant recall all my jobs.

On the kit i quote
'This document provides required background information not captured elsewhere that the Youth
Mobility Unit at the Embassy of Canada in France needs to verify your habitual residence in the UK
for three years prior to submitting an application to the IEC.'

Does this mean I dont have to worry too much about jobs i did 10 years ago or even 5 years ago when i was doing agency work on weekends?

Thanks so far for the advice I have had so far, (you know who you are)
few more hurdles to get over
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: IEC requesting CV & Qualification Details

anyone with any advice please?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

No one will have any additional advice since no one has been through the process and only access to the same information. I think you are worrying too much. Just provide the details they ask as far as possible. attach a note to say that some early agency work was not included or that the dates are approximate etc if you wish. If you are not sure whether you are eligible e.g. residency issues then it's probably best to provide as much detail as possible. Otherwise its only a working holiday visa (not PR)
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chanceUK
No one will have any additional advice since no one has been through the process and only access to the same information. I think you are worrying too much. Just provide the details they ask as far as possible. attach a note to say that some early agency work was not included or that the dates are approximate etc if you wish. If you are not sure whether you are eligible e.g. residency issues then it's probably best to provide as much detail as possible. Otherwise its only a working holiday visa (not PR)
Thanks i admit i do worry but only because i am intending on extending my holiday visa and applying for FSW after a year. also leaving a good job here in UK i want to be sure i will get a chance in canada to suceed.

I think your idea is good enough in that I will try complete what i can, and attach a note about earlier work experience.
Would prospective employers in canada have access to this same information at all?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyN
Thanks i admit i do worry but only because i am intending on extending my holiday visa and applying for FSW after a year. also leaving a good job here in UK i want to be sure i will get a chance in canada to suceed.

I think your idea is good enough in that I will try complete what i can, and attach a note about earlier work experience.
Would prospective employers in canada have access to this same information at all?
prospective employers will only see what you show them.

Only the canadian immigration service is going to see your visa application
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I just included an updated copy of a one page version which I created last year since Bunac told me that the CIC wouldn't accept a resume any longer than 1 page in legnth.

It is just there to provide a backup on your employment history to the official immigration form included in the application pack.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I just included an updated copy of a one page version which I created last year since Bunac told me that the CIC wouldn't accept a resume any longer than 1 page in legnth.
Thanks im going to work on my CV over the weekend to just cut it down to one page

Did you include GCSE high school education?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Just how many I have at A-C grade and not the actual specifics of them which is usually what I provide on my CV anyway since I've found that once you have passed around the age of 21 and have any further kind of education, GCSE results become pretty much redundant unless you are applying for further academia.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Just how many I have at A-C grade and not the actual specifics of them which is usually what I provide on my CV anyway since I've found that once you have passed around the age of 21 and have any further kind of education, GCSE results become pretty much redundant unless you are applying for further academia.
What about on the IEC application, should i go into such detail on education?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by BobbyN
What about on the IEC application, should i go into such detail on education?
If it helps, I didn't, neither on my application last year or the one that I just submitted last week.

There isn't enough space on the form to do that anyway.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

I submitted a 2 page CV detailing some work experience I'd had (unpaid internships) and my last 4 jobs. Then on the actual application I entered all my jobs since leaving school with just the year dates like "2002-2003" cause I have NO idea of the months since it was such a long time ago.

I'm only 24 though haven't had a great deal of jobs...think it was around about 7 or 8 part-time jobs whilst at school and uni etc.

As I'm Scottish I just said 7 standard grades at 3 or above I think that works out at a B or C including English and Maths and then all my qualifications from college and uni.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

kiis102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need to put the grade you got for the subjects on the App form somewhere? I put in the subjects I tool and the qualification (such as GCSE, A-Level). Not put any grades :S ?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The Canadians shouldn't really care about your GCSE grades since their school system works more like the US model so I think based upon the UK benchmark, getting 5 GCSE's at C or above would basically mean that you 'graduated' from high school in Britain.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kiis102
Do you need to put the grade you got for the subjects on the App form somewhere? I put in the subjects I tool and the qualification (such as GCSE, A-Level). Not put any grades :S ?
I just have that on my CV already so just kept it in.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

hi all

with the jobs and educaiton is it okay to just put month/year as days is just a guess really as i never put that on my cv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.