Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

becoming the sole Canadian employee?

becoming the sole Canadian employee?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:12 pm
Fabulous Member

CasaSemanas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default becoming the sole Canadian employee?

My partner is a telecommuter. We are US citizens awaiting PR status. Ideally he would continue his job, only as a Canadian employee rather than as a US employee. The company currently has no employees in Canada, although they do in the UK, Indian and the US. The company was headquartered in the US, but were recently absorbed by a larger UK company.

HR has said that it would be very expensive for the company to employ a single person in Canada. Does anyone know what is involved and what fees are involved? They have offered to employ him on a contractual basis, but he would prefer to remain an actual employee.

From a previous post I got this response, but there is no mention of fees. It doesn't SOUND like it would be an expensive process:

"They could get a Canadian Employer's number from the CRA. You could look after your own payroll or we (or a 100 others) could do it for you. You would make deductions for EI (Employment Insurance), CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and Income tax. The company can join the local Chamber of Commerce or the Vancouver Board of Trade to buy you a Canadian Group benefits plan.

You, we, or the company would then file a Canadian T-4 slip for you by Feb 28th, 2005 for the 2004 tax year."

Thanks for any info or web sites to look at.

Last edited by CasaSemanas; Mar 18th 2005 at 10:35 pm.