Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Arrested released with no further action

Arrested released with no further action

Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:42 am
Just Joined

expatsource is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrested released with no further action

Hi,

I was arrested for common assault 8 years ago and released hours later with no further action. Due to an argument with my mother when I was 17.

Now you have to give details if this during the ETA. Do you think I will inadmissible to Canada as a result?

I previously went 4 years ago with no problem.

Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2015, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrested released with no further action

Originally Posted by expatsource
Hi,

I was arrested for common assault 8 years ago and released hours later with no further action. Due to an argument with my mother when I was 17.

Now you have to give details if this during the ETA. Do you think I will inadmissible to Canada as a result?

I previously went 4 years ago with no problem.

Thanks
If you have no convictions then you will be OK. If asked about arrests, charges or convictions you must disclose it but you won't be found inadmissible. As far as Im aware there is no question like that when applying for eTA.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 11th 2020 at 4:59 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. Yes just an arrest and released with no further action.

The question on the ETA which will be required after March 15, 2016 as I'm british is :

Have you ever committed, been arrested for,been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

In accordance to:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/eta/english.pdf page 8

So I guess when I do go to Canada in the future after March 15, 2016 I will need to answer yes and disclose it what happened as no further action was taken.

Last edited by expatsource; Dec 28th 2015 at 3:41 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that eTAs are passport specific and last a maximum of 5 years or for the validity of the passport you used to apply whichever is the sooner.

I'd also bear in mind that while most eTAs will be approved straightaway, if you think there's any complexity, apply well in advance of your trip, as if your application is referred to a human for review, inevitably it's going to take longer.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 28th 2015 at 4:07 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

How long should I apply for it? Are we talking months before?
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't leave it until just before the trip (for anyone unless they forgot). But you will have to decide.

S
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future

The additional help contradicts the question a little:

Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

Select yes if you have ever committed, been charged with or convicted of a crime in any country.

Please provide as many details as possible. Failure to include additional and sufficient details may result in slower processing.

I was arrested in June 2007 for theft from my employer, but after questioning no further action was taken. I guess the answer to the question is yes, but then the additional info makes me think no.

If I put yes and then add an explanation will that automatically decline the eTA or will it just be referred for someone to make a decision on manually?
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdsUK
The additional help contradicts the question a little:

Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

Select yes if you have ever committed, been charged with or convicted of a crime in any country.

Please provide as many details as possible. Failure to include additional and sufficient details may result in slower processing.

I was arrested in June 2007 for theft from my employer, but after questioning no further action was taken. I guess the answer to the question is yes, but then the additional info makes me think no.

If I put yes and then add an explanation will that automatically decline the eTA or will it just be referred for someone to make a decision on manually?
I would answer Yes.
In the explanation I would put I was arrested on suspicion of theft. I was interviewed but not charged or convicted of theft.
Old May 1st 2016, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future

That's what I did in the end. It went to be reviewed and now they have requested a Police Certificate, which i've applied for, so hopefully that will be sufficient for approval .
Old May 1st 2016, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hope it turns out well for you.

Please post back to let us know the outcome.

S
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 11:33 am
Just Joined

That's what I did in the end. It went to be reviewed and now they have requested a Police Certificate, which i've applied for, so hopefully that will be sufficient for approval .
What was the result? Did you get the ETA?
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatsource
What was the result? Did you get the ETA?
OP hasn't been on the site since May, it's unlikely you'll get an answer.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 12th 2020 at 2:28 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
OP hasn't been on the site since May, it's unlikely you'll get an answer.
Yea of little faith! ;-)

Apologies I should have reported back.

Yes, police certificate uploaded and submitted. Took another 72 hours, but was approved no issue, with no issues on arrival in Toronto either.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yea of little faith! ;-)

Apologies I should have reported back.

Yes, police certificate uploaded and submitted. Took another 72 hours, but was approved no issue, with no issues on arrival in Toronto either.
I'm delighted to be proven wrong!!!

Thanks for the update .
Old Dec 5th 2016, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm delighted to be proven wrong!!!

Thanks for the update .

Thanks for the update. Hope to go to Canada soon!