Program and category?

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 6:29 am
Just Joined

GillG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Program and category?

Hi everyone, I am living in Canada and have recently married my partner. I'm applying for permanent residency (and will also apply for permission to work at the same time). This is just a trivial question, but I'm scared about getting anything wrong on the forms! On form IMM 0008, how do I answer *Program under which you are applying and *Category under which you are applying? Usually where there is an asterisk there is information below on how to answer, but not here on the form - and apparently no guidance how to fill in this form. Thank you.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Program and category?

If filling out the IMM 008 online there is a drop down menu

Use this link for instructions
Complete IMM 0008 and IMM 5669

Quick answer is Q1 Family and Q2 Spouse

All other docs can be found here
Applying as a member of the Family Class
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 10:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillG
Hi everyone, I am living in Canada and have recently married my partner. I'm applying for permanent residency (and will also apply for permission to work at the same time). This is just a trivial question, but I'm scared about getting anything wrong on the forms! On form IMM 0008, how do I answer *Program under which you are applying and *Category under which you are applying? Usually where there is an asterisk there is information below on how to answer, but not here on the form - and apparently no guidance how to fill in this form. Thank you.
Helloo and welcome to BE!

We've a couple of really helpful posts in our Wiki - they will walk you through the forms and also answer any questions (generally) that you might have (although you are also welcome to post any questions here too!).

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much, I will now go through these carefully.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much, these are really helpful. I've also sent off for my marriage certificate on the basis of 'immigration' as I think the advised three month wait before you do so is a bit impractical for those who want to start working and contributing to the economy a.s.a.p. My question is, does anyone here know how long it takes for the certificate to arrive (approximately) and, more importantly, can I send off my application to stay/work/reside before I get it? Many thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

In what province are you residing/did you get married?

I'm not sure what you mean by "advised 3 months wait before you do so"? Advised by whom?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, these are really helpful. I've also sent off for my marriage certificate on the basis of 'immigration' as I think the advised three month wait before you do so is a bit impractical for those who want to start working and contributing to the economy a.s.a.p. My question is, does anyone here know how long it takes for the certificate to arrive (approximately) and, more importantly, can I send off my application to stay/work/reside before I get it? Many thanks!
You could send off your application for spousal PR prior to obtaining the wedding certificate, by including a copy of the one issued when you got married with a note that you have applied for the official certificate and will forward it when it arrives. However, if by chance you get a 'jobsworth' visa officer, they could return your application as incomplete. I applied 'inland' and sent in the copy from the marriage initally; that appeared to be ok, but there's no guarantee. If you don't want to wait and are prepared for a chance that it could be returned, then go for it!

Depending on the Province, some take longer to process the registration than others which is why they suggest waiting before applying for a copy. For example, in Ontario they state it takes around 10 weeks from the date of marriage until it's officially registered. https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForm...sId=0#section2

Do bear in mind that the ability to apply for an open work permit for 'Inland' applicants (at the time of application for PR) is a pilot program with no guarantee that it will continue after December. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2015-12-11.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...um=1163&top=17

If you don't get your application in soon and they discontinue it, you may possibly have to wait until 1st stage approval before receiving a work permit (16 months), though I'd guess that they will continue with the pilot project for now..

Is working the only reason you are applying 'Inland' ? 'Outland' is so much quicker!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 29th 2016 at 10:23 am.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for that advice! I'm going to try and get all the paperwork in during December to try and ensure the open job permit may be extended/continued.

With regard to Outland v Inland, there are a few mostly personal issues for wanting to be here, one is my husband's brother is really ill and it's made us evaluate the need to be together as much as possible - given my husband is 71 as well! Also, we spent two years going backwards and forwards costing many £000s as we missed each other so much and we waited until all my kids were at University, so want our main home to be based in Canada. I really don't see the UK as 'home' any more.

I also gave up my job (well, took VR so the money could help pay to settle in Canada) at the end of June to ensure my kids would be independent at Uni as well.

I do have one more question, if I may? I have made absolutely sure that my computer has the very latest Adobe Reader updates, yet for form IMM 1344 I am STILL getting the message that it is not up to date enough! I've restarted my computer etc etc - all the usual stuff - but still nothing! Does anyone have any advice on this?

Many thanks
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
In what province are you residing/did you get married?

I'm not sure what you mean by "advised 3 months wait before you do so"? Advised by whom?
Hi, I'm in Ontario, and got married here on 18 November 2016. Our wedding officiant advised us that you should usually wait 2-3 months before sending off for the final Certificate, although I now see on the forms (and from advice from Souxie) that it's possible to send off the Certificate from the Ceremony, unless we get a 'jobsworth' type processing our application.

I'm going to continue filling in all the other forms/police clearance/medical etc and hope that it arrives by then, but if not, I think we will take a chance.

Many thanks for your reply
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I do have one more question, if I may? I have made absolutely sure that my computer has the very latest Adobe Reader updates, yet for form IMM 1344 I am STILL getting the message that it is not up to date enough! I've restarted my computer etc etc - all the usual stuff - but still nothing! Does anyone have any advice on this?

Many thanks

Same problem asked and answered here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...e-help-882926/

Hope that helps - I had the same problem and the 'fix' is very easy.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to Outland v Inland, there are a few mostly personal issues for wanting to be here, one is my husband's brother is really ill and it's made us evaluate the need to be together as much as possible - given my husband is 71 as well! Also, we spent two years going backwards and forwards costing many £000s as we missed each other so much and we waited until all my kids were at University, so want our main home to be based in Canada. I really don't see the UK as 'home' any more.
Just to clarify - you don't need to be in the UK to apply 'outland', you can do so from Canada.

HTH.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Oh no, now I'm really confused Would that require a whole new set of forms? And, I have 3 grown up children (fully independent) living in the UK but at University - I know I need to complete the Additional Family form, but what about the IMM 008DEP if they're not actually dependent (which they're not)?

Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Same problem asked and answered here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...e-help-882926/

Hope that helps - I had the same problem and the 'fix' is very easy.
Thanks so much for your help but even that didn't work! I've accosted my husband's PC and, strangely, though it is much older than mine, most forms seem to open now