Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Spouse Open Work Permit - references??

Applying for Spouse Open Work Permit - references??

Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice
Default Applying for Spouse Open Work Permit - references??

When applying for an Open Work Permit for myself when OH applies for his TWP, do I need to include a work reference from my employer? They ask for job references and certificates on the application form but wasn't sure if this only applied to the TWP application or whether they want them from both of us?

Have looked on CIC website but can't find anything about it..

What did others out there do?

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: Applying for Spouse Open Work Permit - references??

Yes - My wife recently got her Spouse open work permit and she did include work references in her original application (and also a copy of her degree certificate). She was advised to do so by our immigration lawyer.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

I recently received my Spousal Open Work Permit having applied through Vegreville. (We're already in BC with my spouse on a 12 month TWP.)

I wasn't required to provide references and received my permit in the post about 2 months after applying. (In fact, we are now applying for "fast-track" PR through London and I'm still not required to provide references although they do want my degree certificate.)

Perhaps it differs depending on what office you are applying to. Eg if we were applying for PR through Buffalo, not London, then I would need the references.

The whole thing is a flippin' minefield. Perhaps the immigration lawyer has said to do it as a "belt and braces" mindset but it's a terrible faff and if you can find out for sure that you don't need to provide references then it'll save you such a lot of hassle.

Do you know, I would ring CIC if I were you. I've found them pretty helpful.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice

I think you are right - I will drop CIC an e-mail and see what they come back with. Does seem that either way might be acceptable and it IS hassle getting references!!! Anything that reduces the stress-level at the moment is greatly welcomed...

Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
I recently received my Spousal Open Work Permit having applied through Vegreville. (We're already in BC with my spouse on a 12 month TWP.)

I wasn't required to provide references and received my permit in the post about 2 months after applying. (In fact, we are now applying for "fast-track" PR through London and I'm still not required to provide references although they do want my degree certificate.)

Perhaps it differs depending on what office you are applying to. Eg if we were applying for PR through Buffalo, not London, then I would need the references.

The whole thing is a flippin' minefield. Perhaps the immigration lawyer has said to do it as a "belt and braces" mindset but it's a terrible faff and if you can find out for sure that you don't need to provide references then it'll save you such a lot of hassle.

Do you know, I would ring CIC if I were you. I've found them pretty helpful.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

TheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We recently moved over on my OHs TWP and me with an open work permit. When we applied I think I only included the form with previous employer information on it and my CV. I did not even include proof of degree etc. as it is not asked for if you are the accompanying spouse. I guess it is up to you there is no harm including more information than is needed it stops them coming back and asking for more information which delays the process.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

I did e-mail CHC in London last week to ask them to - and had a reply today!!!!

They say all that is normally needed is the application form completed, the $150 fee and an updated CV/Resume which should be sufficient. Nothing else usually needed but if it is they will write to me anyway.

Straight-forward then hopefully....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jen246 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Its my first post on here so you'll have to bear with me!!!

My OH has been offered a position as a plumber in Calgary, we are waiting for the LMO to come back then need to send off all the forms for WP. I will want to work if possible while out there but i cant seem to find out much info on what forms i need to fill in? Is there a special Spousal Open Work Permit form or do i just add my details to his Work permit form??? So many forms

Hopefully we'll be heading out Feb/Mar well excited!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Jen
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

From what I understand, you need to fill out a seperate Work Permit Application for yourself and write 'Spousal Work Permit Application' across the top and in job details section.

Last edited by jugapper; Nov 5th 2008 at 6:59 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jugapper
When applying for an Open Work Permit for myself when OH applies for his TWP, do I need to include a work reference from my employer? They ask for job references and certificates on the application form but wasn't sure if this only applied to the TWP application or whether they want them from both of us?

Have looked on CIC website but can't find anything about it..

What did others out there do?

Thanks
i didnt put in a CV or references, just SOWP on the form.