Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

To apply or not apply...this is my dilemma

To apply or not apply...this is my dilemma

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:25 am
Just Joined

marjow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To apply or not apply...this is my dilemma

Hi, I am new to this forum but so far from what i have read on previous posts/threads, a lot are still waiting and some have been blessed to move on to greener pastures.

Since I got married, my parents kept insisting that we establish our family and settle in Canada. I've made some research and have asked numerous people regarding life in the maple. Some have positive feedbacks others seem to point out that migrating to Canada is not only a waste of money but of time as well. Well, my husband and i have weighed its pros and cons but i guess in our book, pros outweigh the other. So after 2 years of being married we decided to immigrate to Canada.

My problem in this decision is my education. Although my husband would stand as the principal applicant, would my being a college dropout, pose as a threat to our chances?

My husband has acquired a degree on Business Management and Management Information Systems. He has a total of 6 years work experience...all in the same field. I am 25 and he's turning 29 this year.
No arranged employment nor a job offer. My husband hasn't taken the IELTS exam yet. I have a brother in Canada who acquired his citizenship a year ago. We have money saved up for the fees and settlement funds. Still I feel restless with my dilemma.

I was in my 4th year in college when i decided to drop out. I guess it was the wrong time to realize that i wasn't happy with what i was doing. Anyway, I've learned from the CIC website that under adaptablity factor(skilled worker) - a spouse's education can amount to 5 points. I don't know what to do. I guess we will gain 0 points considering my educational background.

I do plan to go back to school again, hopefully in Canada...well, if we ever get there.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:32 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To apply or not apply...this is my dilemma

Originally Posted by marjow
Hi, I am new to this forum but so far from what i have read on previous posts/threads, a lot are still waiting and some have been blessed to move on to greener pastures.

Since I got married, my parents kept insisting that we establish our family and settle in Canada. I've made some research and have asked numerous people regarding life in the maple. Some have positive feedbacks others seem to point out that migrating to Canada is not only a waste of money but of time as well. Well, my husband and i have weighed its pros and cons but i guess in our book, pros outweigh the other. So after 2 years of being married we decided to immigrate to Canada.

My problem in this decision is my education. Although my husband would stand as the principal applicant, would my being a college dropout, pose as a threat to our chances?

My husband has acquired a degree on Business Management and Management Information Systems. He has a total of 6 years work experience...all in the same field. I am 25 and he's turning 29 this year.
No arranged employment nor a job offer. My husband hasn't taken the IELTS exam yet. I have a brother in Canada who acquired his citizenship a year ago. We have money saved up for the fees and settlement funds. Still I feel restless with my dilemma.

I was in my 4th year in college when i decided to drop out. I guess it was the wrong time to realize that i wasn't happy with what i was doing. Anyway, I've learned from the CIC website that under adaptablity factor(skilled worker) - a spouse's education can amount to 5 points. I don't know what to do. I guess we will gain 0 points considering my educational background.

I do plan to go back to school again, hopefully in Canada...well, if we ever get there.
There are any number of websites where you could take a free selfassessment of your and yor husband's qualifications. The CICs website has one at www.cic.gc.ca That would be a good place sto start. You may not add any points for your education but you have a brother in Canada and that is also worth 5 points.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks. What if i acquire a one year diploma in web development, would it amount to anything? I'm currently studying web development but only for 6 months - i only get a certificate for that. But the school can allow students to continue after 6 months - for a 1 year diploma. Sort of like an advanced study. What do you think?

Last edited by marjow; Mar 21st 2005 at 5:43 am.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

Thanks. What if i acquire a one year diploma in web development, would it amount to anything? I'm currently studying web development but only for 6 months - i only get a certificate for that. But the school can allow students to continue after 6 months - for a 1 year diploma. Sort of like an advanced study. What do you think?

There is a strong possibility that your husband already has the required points to qualify. I believe the pass mark is still 67.

If this is the case, perhaps you should seriously consider applying now. Who knows what can happen in one years time - CIC may decide to raise the pass mark and you would have missed your opportunity to qualify. Hence, please check carefully to see if he has already qualified.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

I tried the self assessment tool on the CIC website...and the result is 60 (I only selected "basic proficiency" under language proficiency since my husband hasn't taken the IELTS test yet)

I do still am left hanging with my question earlier. Is a one year diploma in web development be credited under the adaptability factor?

We are planning on applying this year. My husband will be registering for the IELTS exam after Holy week.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:57 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the self assessment tool on the CIC website...and the result is 60 (I only selected "basic proficiency" under language proficiency since my husband hasn't taken the IELTS test yet)

I do still am left hanging with my question earlier. Is a one year diploma in web development be credited under the adaptability factor?

We are planning on applying this year. My husband will be registering for the IELTS exam after Holy week.
If your husband has a very good command of English then you should have given him the top level for language. That indicates that he may not in your opinion speak English well. The IELTS will settle that question. To get the full 16 points he will need to achieve a level 7 score in all 4 skill areas.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Well Mr Humphries, I do think that my husband has a good command of the english language

I did try the test again with "moderate proficiency" selected: result = 66
and with "high proficiency" = 67

I selected "basic proficiency" just to know our possible lowest score. I will let you know of my husbands test results as soon as we recieve it and I'll go over the self assessment test again. Anyway, he still need to register for the IELTS test so I guess we would have to wait. Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Inah is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: To apply or not apply...this is my dilemma

Well Mr Humphries, I do think that my husband has a good command of the english language

I did try the test again with "moderate proficiency" selected: result = 66
and with "high proficiency" = 67

I selected "basic proficiency" just to know our possible lowest score. I will let you know of my husbands test results as soon as we recieve it and I'll go over the self assessment test again. Anyway, he still need to register for the IELTS test so I guess we would have to wait. Thanks
Hi, Marjow.

Based on our experience, the assessment of someone with a Bachelor's degree, at least 4 years experience, within the 21-49 age range and high proficiency in IELTS would total to 67 points. Hence, a person who's single may also get 67 as long as he meets the aforementioned qualifications. In your case, your brother gives you 5 points bonus therefore you're working at 72 maximum pending your one year web course (am not sure how this may add points for you, like if it will be considered as a trade certificate).

I suggest that you pray for a lot of guidance from above to help your husband successfully achieve a minimum band of 7 for each category. I can honestly say prayers are powerful. I truly believe that whatever success we reap, we must always remember that it is His gift to us and we must praise Him for it.

For some (local) tips, you may visit
http://lbautista.proboards31.com/ind...?board=general

Marjow, take one step at a time. Put your worries aside and focus your energies into ensuring your husband fares well in the IELTS. After you get the results, then you will know what your next move must be.

Good luck and God bless.