Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Application for LMIA-exempt work permit and open work permit for husband

Application for LMIA-exempt work permit and open work permit for husband

Old Jan 11th 2017, 11:11 am
Just Joined

N McCleary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Application for LMIA-exempt work permit and open work permit for husband

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
We too plan to live in Ottawa and had a similar conundrum as regards flights.

In the end, we decided that the extra cost for the direct Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Ottawa (as compared to low-cost airlines with transfers e.g. Air Trasat or Westjet) was worth the extra cost, with the bonus of a few hours less elapsed time and immigration at Ottawa - the jet lag is bad enough as it is.

We managed to get our AC flights LHR to YOW return for £GBP650 each.

Our trip is scheduled for April this year.

Hi Hurlabrick, great to hear from you. Totally agree re. flights: we recently came to the realisation that being processed at Toronto could result in us missing our connecting flight to Ottawa, so I think we will go for the direct flight also. Hopeful that we can head out in early March, fingers crossed!

N
Old Jan 11th 2017, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for LMIA-exempt work permit and open work permit for husband

Originally Posted by N McCleary
Hi Hurlabrick, great to hear from you. Totally agree re. flights: we recently came to the realisation that being processed at Toronto could result in us missing our connecting flight to Ottawa, so I think we will go for the direct flight also. Hopeful that we can head out in early March, fingers crossed!

N

PRECISELY our thinking as well!

It is all a bit stressful anyway, now on top of the jet lag of a direct flight, throw in a connecting flight, anxiety over whether you have allowed long enough between flights for immigration etc., extra elapsed time, hoping your baggage makes it as well......

PS - we discovered that there is only economy or business class on the direct Air Canada LHR to YOW flight - no premium economy (due to the aircraft type and config used on that route). There are however a few seats with much better leg room etc. so try to book these if available (you can see which these are through 'Seat Guru'). We managed to for our mid-April flight.

PPS - Ottawa is a lovely 'little' airport, much nicer than Toronto or Montreal IMHO as a passenger!

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Jan 11th 2017 at 11:33 am.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

PPS - Ottawa is a lovely 'little' airport, much nicer than Toronto or Montreal IMHO as a passenger!
I completely agree with that. Flying to or from YOW is a pleasure compared to YYZ, which is not.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

PRECISELY our thinking as well!

It is all a bit stressful anyway, now on top of the jet lag of a direct flight, throw in a connecting flight, anxiety over whether you have allowed long enough between flights for immigration etc., extra elapsed time, hoping your baggage makes it as well......

PS - we discovered that there is only economy or business class on the direct Air Canada LHR to YOW flight - no premium economy (due to the aircraft type and config used on that route). There are however a few seats with much better leg room etc. so try to book these if available (you can see which these are through 'Seat Guru'). We managed to for our mid-April flight.

Thanks or the 'Seat Guru' tip, will look into it.

Good to know that Ottawa is a nice airport to fly in to, that should get our trip off to a good start!

Good luck with your travel plans!
Old Jan 11th 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I completely agree with that. Flying to or from YOW is a pleasure compared to YYZ, which is not.

Thanks Novocastrian, that's really good to know!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

baehunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Application for LMIA-exempt work permit and open work permit for husband

I just wanted to say thank you for the top discussion of LMIA - my girlfirend and I have both recieved post-doc offers from institutions in Toronto and are getting thoroughly confused with the CIC document requirements... Did the HR department at your new institution come back to you about application at POE N McCleary?

Thanks,

Ben
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baehunt
I just wanted to say thank you for the top discussion of LMIA - my girlfirend and I have both recieved post-doc offers from institutions in Toronto and are getting thoroughly confused with the CIC document requirements... Did the HR department at your new institution come back to you about application at POE N McCleary?

Thanks,
Which institutions?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

baehunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about that Novocastrian... I was still below the three message limit to access private messages (and apologies that I cannot now delete)! I hope you don't mind but we would prefer not to publicly say at the moment... But we are very excited about moving to Toronto!!! Just starting to realise the amount of work involved though!