Need an Immigration consultant

Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need an Immigration consultant

We have PR status but but we will have not met the rules on residency in Canada.
My partner will have only got about 530 days and me only 621 days residency in Canada. I have been told that we need to speak to an immigration consultant to see what our options are. I have got a list of this website but not sure which to use or what to look for when hiring someone, has anyone uses one or got recommendations and we are also looking at costs. Thanks 😀
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need an Immigration consultant

Tbh, your options are pretty limited, so you should be able to decide that yourself - you can either voluntarily relinquish your PR status, or you can try and enter Canada and see if the immi officer doesn't spot that you can't meet your residency obligation. If so, and you're let in without being reported, then you're ok as long as you don't leave again until you *have* met the residency obligation. That's a fairly big risk, but it depends on your risk tolerance I guess.

But if you do want to use a consultant to discuss your options further, then budget about £250 for a consultation (thousands if you hire them for something) as a rough guide, and just make sure they're ICCRC registered. You can search the forum for recommendations, not sure I can think of any that have been recently recommended as most people just don't use them, but there are certainly older threads with recommendations on.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 21st 2017 at 3:15 am.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinabootes
We have PR status but but we will have not met the rules on residency in Canada.
My partner will have only got about 530 days and me only 621 days residency in Canada. I have been told that we need to speak to an immigration consultant to see what our options are. I have got a list of this website but not sure which to use or what to look for when hiring someone, has anyone uses one or got recommendations and we are also looking at costs. Thanks 😀
The 1st question I would be asking is why you didn't meet the residency obligation? As for H & C grounds there has to be a very very good reason to retain PR status. A consultant can only give you your options if reported for failing to meet the residency obligation the IRB will ultimately decide if you retain PR status.
What reasons would you give to the IRB?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The 1st question I would be asking is why you didn't meet the residency obligation? As for H & C grounds there has to be a very very good reason to retain PR status. A consultant can only give you your options if reported for failing to meet the residency obligation the IRB will ultimately decide if you retain PR status.
What reasons would you give to the IRB?
According to previous posts, they haven't moved before because they couldn't sell their house. Definitely not grounds for H&C!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
According to previous posts, they haven't moved before because they couldn't sell their house. Definitely not grounds for H&C!
Nope and another question is have their PR cards expired as they would need one to travel if they want to risk it. No valid PR card the chances of getting a PRTD is minimal especially when IRCC discover they don't meet the residency obligation.
Only other option is flying into the US and hope CBSA at a land border don't notice they meet the residency obligation.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nope and another question is have their PR cards expired as they would need one to travel if they want to risk it. No valid PR card the chances of getting a PRTD is minimal especially when IRCC discover they don't meet the residency obligation.
Only other option is flying into the US and hope CBSA at a land border don't notice they meet the residency obligation.
Cards expiring in 2018 it would seem (again, going on previous posts). So they can try and enter Canada and hope that the IO doesn't spot they can't meet their residency obligation. But as we know, most border officers are pretty on the ball......right?

But if they want to try and maintain their current PR status, rather than relinquishing it and reapplying (if eligible), then that's the only option from what the OP's said.

Of course, the OP hasn't actually said that they want to move back to Canada, if they don't then it's much more simple!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Cards expiring in 2018 it would seem (again, going on previous posts). So they can try and enter Canada and hope that the IO doesn't spot they can't meet their residency obligation. But as we know, most border officers are pretty on the ball......right?

But if they want to try and maintain their current PR status, rather than relinquishing it and reapplying (if eligible), then that's the only option from what the OP's said.

Of course, the OP hasn't actually said that they want to move back to Canada, if they don't then it's much more simple!
Yes we want to move back, was looking at end of Feb and yes house sale, daughter finishing her nursing degree was a big factor as to why we had not do it yet. just trying to look at all options we may or may not have.
If we get a return flight they might not ask to many questions at IO and just don't use them. Just a though, but I know it's a big risk.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinabootes
jkenneyconsulting.com were helpful in an advisory capacity. Based in Vancouver
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
jkenneyconsulting.com were helpful in an advisory capacity. Based in Vancouver
Thanks will contact them tomorrow and see hat they say. 😀