Another ex-con....ashamed

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Danuk80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another ex-con....ashamed

Sorry for a double post:

I have looked at the various links and so fourth and now my head hurts.

Can someone help?

I have x1 criminal conviction (charged in a magistrate court) for ABH, I think this was in 2002. All I got was a fine which I paid.

I also have police cautions for common assault, one in 1996, and one in 1998.

Ashamed? you bet I am.

I want to move my family (x3 kids, x1 wife and a dog) to Canada, I am an IT worker and my wife is a carer. Although I have taken the online assessment of eligabilty I seem to not meet the criteria for a visa, so I am thinking of going down the working holiday route to weigh our options and build a stronger chance of approval.

I contacted the court where I was tried, they couldn't find me on the system, I thought this to be in my favour until I was told that their system is that of the paper filing type....handy. So I was given the Police HQ number, they put me through to the data protection automated message where you leave your name and address and then they post details of your record.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers,

Dan
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:00 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another ex-con....ashamed

Hi Dan

You will need to apply to be rehabilitated, I would suggest having a word with an immigration consultant as your case may not be straight forward, unless you feel that you could do it yourself.

Good Luck with it anyway.

Danny
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I didn't specify my need for help!!

what I need to know is regarding the rehab and so fourth, do I quality etc...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Opps, sorry Danny, didn't see your reply, many thanks.

So would you assume that I wouldn't qualify for rehab? such a weird system!
I assumed my conviction being lesser than a prison sentence and just a fine and record wouldn't hinder us to much, but blimey, now I'm panicking!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:03 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Try here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/visit/f...lity.asp#note4
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:06 pm
mclauchlan35

It's over 5 years since your last offence so you should be able to apply. Others have been through it so best try searching some previous threads or look through the wiki at the top of the page.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Much appreciate your help Danny.

All the best,

Dan
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Danny, one more thing....

I was arrested without charge in 2005, no caution or anything. Would that constitute to being involved in criminal activity since being charged in 2002 as stated in 1st post?

Cheers,

Dan.

P.S: I sound like a right ASBO-git.....honestly, I'm not.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:25 pm
mclauchlan35

Hi Dan

Probably best get your police report and have a look, it cost a tenner and will give you piece of mind although if you wern't charged then I don't think it will matter.

I'm not an expert and I am only going from what I have read on the boards, Andrew Miller or PMM would be better placed to advise you

I'm sure your not, sometime you lose the rag and it can be wrong place wrong time. You just have to learn from it and the fact that your ashamed means that you know that your probably acting like an arse at the time.

You live and learn

Danny

Last edited by mclauchlan35; Sep 23rd 2008 at 4:26 pm. Reason: bloomin spelling
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

My wife goes for alternative words to "a*se" when I tell her that I am the soul reason that our dream could snowball....its so sweat when she unleashes her own brand of justice to me.

Honestly though, I am ashamed. I remember having to apply for a Visa to go to America just to marry her in Las Vegas (tacky? yep!)..... why she stays with me.....God only knows!!

Again, many thanks Danny, much appreciate all of your help.

All the best,

Dan
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:40 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dan

Not something Ive been through but i definately agree with Danny - get a copy of your record ( police cert) - you will need this anyway even if you apply for a temp work permit. ( I think!) Hopefully you can apply for rehabilitation and a new life in Canada will give you chance to put all that behind you and start new

Good luck and i hope it allworks out for you
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Danuk80
Sorry for a double post:

I have looked at the various links and so fourth and now my head hurts.

Can someone help?

I have x1 criminal conviction (charged in a magistrate court) for ABH, I think this was in 2002. All I got was a fine which I paid.

I also have police cautions for common assault, one in 1996, and one in 1998.

Ashamed? you bet I am.

I want to move my family (x3 kids, x1 wife and a dog) to Canada, I am an IT worker and my wife is a carer. Although I have taken the online assessment of eligabilty I seem to not meet the criteria for a visa, so I am thinking of going down the working holiday route to weigh our options and build a stronger chance of approval.

I contacted the court where I was tried, they couldn't find me on the system, I thought this to be in my favour until I was told that their system is that of the paper filing type....handy. So I was given the Police HQ number, they put me through to the data protection automated message where you leave your name and address and then they post details of your record.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers,

Dan
You cannot do working holiday at the moment as u dont qualify. You can go down the TWP route which is faster, if u go the skills route u looking at 5 yrs or more and as i hear they not even accepting those types of application anymore for now....

If your offenses or convictions are more than 5 yrs ago, then i guess u are fine n ok to apply.

I think you need to start reading the wiki on here as u will find more answers.

Also u can secure a Job through a positive LMO and move yr family on a temp work visa and then take the PR from there.

I am sure most of the answer here have been helpful so far and hold on more will come, good luck,,,
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Dan (Danuk80), your questions about criminal rehabilitation seem to have been answered in the thread entitled Criminal Record ??

But I just want to address another point you raised. Since you're married and have children, you are not eligible for a working holiday visa.

What you may have intended to say was a temporary work permit (TWP). That is something you may be able to get.

First you'd need to get the criminal rehabilitation thing sorted out.

Then, if you or your wife got an offer of a job that no Canadian resident wanted, the prospective employer could get a labour market opinion (LMO) and you could get a TWP.

It really helps to be aware of where the labour shortages are.

I strongly suggest that you read the Canada section of the British Expats Wiki, especially the four articles to which there are links at the top of that screen.
x
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you all. I will update you as the progress continues....if any!!!