Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

American Fiancee wanting to gt married in Canada to Cadadian

American Fiancee wanting to gt married in Canada to Cadadian

Old Jun 19th 2001, 1:11 am
Gordon D. Foster

I am from Ottawa, and lookijng to marry my American Fiancee, who presently is on SSDI
(Disability) in the US. She suffers from depression and PTSD, and I am suffering
depression as well, on welfare, but recently landed a job, and hope to be working
soon. I was wondering what we need to do to get my fiancee her landed status, I hear
it is easier if one is married first as there is no financial test to pass (Was also
wondering if filing for bankruptcy would affect this?). I would like some
information, as info lines with CIC have been inconsistent. What if any pitfalls
might there be, and what can be done??? If anyone out there has been through this,
and could give me their experiences it would be appreciated.

Thanks Gordon Foster

Old Jun 20th 2001, 5:27 am
Royann

If you sponsor her as a fiancee, you will have to meet the financial requirements.
But, if you sponsor her as a spouse, you won't. It is easier and quicker to sponsor
her as a spouse from within Canada. I'm not sure if bankruptcy would affect your
application, but being on welfare would, so it would be best if you were working
before mailing in your application.

Please join us at this message board for those applying as a fiancee or spouse:
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/canadianimmigration

good luck, Royann

Old Jun 20th 2001, 12:43 pm
G & C Boudreau

I am a US citizen married to a Canadian. He had to sign a 10 year support agreement,
and also in that time I cannot apply for welfare. You have to be able to show that
you will be able to support your wife, for that 10 year period. With her being on
disability that may create a problem also. Best to seek the advice of an attorney.

>
    >
    >
    >
get
    >
as
    >
    >
    >
be,
    >