American credit cards in Canada?

Old Jun 13th 2001, 7:39 pm
Mikhail Gladchenko

I am about to relocate to Canada from US. Here in US I have two credit cards from
local American banks. I would like to use cards at least first time after landing in
Canada. I understand that it does not make any entries in Canadian credit history.
But the question now is the following. These banks send balance statements on my
current address in US. Could the send this correspondence to Canada on new address?
Maybe it depends on the bank (Washington Mutual and Citibank in my case)? If I
request banks’ clerks to send this information to Canada, would not be the chance for
them to cancel my credit card. What is the best way to manage all this staff?

Old Jun 13th 2001, 8:23 pm
Vladimir Menkov

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I suppose it depends on the bank, but I did not have problems changing the billing
address to one in Canada for several credit card issuing banks. (USAA, Credit Union
Card Center, and even First USA).

Regarding opening a c/c account in Canada: it seems that it is easy to open one with
American Express Canada if you already have one with Am.Ex. in the USA. MBNA claims
that they have a similar policy too, but I did not have a chance to try. I don't know
if it holds for CitiBank.

--vladimir (Vancouver, BC)

Old Jun 13th 2001, 8:55 pm
Greg_Del_Pilar

Mikhail:

Some neighboring cities (e.g., Vancouver) are so close to the US (e.g., Seattle, WA),
that some local Mail Boxes, Etc.(MBE) branches offer a "US Mail Service" for about
CDN$70.00 per month. With this service, they give you a P.O. box address in the US to
which you can have your credit card bills (and other envelope mails) redirected, and
they take care of picking it up for you everyday and moving them to your local MBE
mailbox. With this service, you get your mail almost as fast as if you're still in
the US (compared to about ten days delay if you're receiving it through your Canadian
address). The added benefit I see in this is, in the case of credit cards, all you
need to do is fill-up the "change of address" form at the back of your monthly
statements, and your credit card company will not complain at all because the new
address will still be within the US.

I hope this helped.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 14th 2001, 5:08 pm
x user

>
    >
    >

Quite interesting. But are you sure the bank will pass through their system the PO
BOX address? I would expect that if you call them and try to change address to PO BOX
they will not let you to. Do you know any one who did it ?

Regards.

Old Jun 14th 2001, 6:30 pm
Luterin

>
    >

Would probably depend on the bank. My banks send my correspondence to the
Canadian Address.

>
    >
    >
    >

I doubt they would cancel your card... especially CitiBank.

As far as Canadian credit history, you might try the following (may or may not work):
- Talk to CitiBank in Canada for Credit Card.
- Go to Sears, Zellers, Canadian Tire and apply for their Department Store Card. When
asked for credit check, give them your U.S. credit card. At Zellers, they just
swiped my US credit card, and my Zellers card was approved on the spot.

Good Luck. -Lute

Old Jun 14th 2001, 7:48 pm
Luterin

>
    >

Would probably depend on the bank. My banks send my correspondence to the
Canadian Address.

>
    >
    >
    >

I doubt they would cancel your card... especially CitiBank.

As far as Canadian credit history, you might try the following (may or may not work):
- Talk to CitiBank in Canada for Credit Card.
- Go to Sears, Zellers, Canadian Tire and apply for their Department Store Card. When
asked for credit check, give them your U.S. credit card. At Zellers, they just
swiped my US credit card, and my Zellers card was approved on the spot.

Good Luck. -Lute

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 15th 2001, 5:40 am
Justin Heyes-Jones

My experience has been as follows ;

Foreign credit card issuers are very happy when you move to another country because
they can charge conversion fees on all your purchases. I have an English credit card
and bank account, both of whom send my correspondence direct to my Canadian address
and they don't have a problem with it.

Getting a credit card in Canada is easier if you have an account with an american
bank and you are trying to get credit with their Canadian subsidaries. Especially
MBNA and American Express. Failing that it seems you may have to wait a few months to
get a Sears or Zellers card, something magical has to happen behind the scenes that
takes time, but store cards are the best way to start.

Also, although it's obviously not something that's easy to change, the more you earn
the easier it is to get credit. Some banks seem to have a 'magic number' above which
they will give you a credit card and credit line the day you arrive.

Old Jun 15th 2001, 8:03 am
Greg_Del_Pilar

Hi!

>
    >
    >

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ADVISE. I'm merely speculating that this would work, and I
know that it has worked for some people. In fact, I think you're right --- the banks
are not likely to accept a P.O. Box address if you call them personally. However, if
you're talking about banks that issued the credit cards, then you don't really need
to call them. The payment coupon that comes with a credit card's monthly statement
always has a place where you're told to update any change of address and phone
numbers. When the dataentry operator receives it, they just key it in (I think). I
also think that as long as they receive your payments in time, then they will not
complain that they're sending the monthly statements to a P.O. Box address. With so
many people moving around across different states in the US every year, I believe
that credit card companies no longer get surprised when the new mailing address is a
P.O. Box, for as long as it is still within the US.

Hope this helps.

Old Jun 15th 2001, 2:28 pm
Gennady Gleizer

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There is surely a way to transfer your US credit history to Canada. Try
russian-speaking newsgroup fido7.russian.z1. This problem had been discussed there a
couple of time in the last year, you'll surely get appropriate links.

GG

Old Jun 20th 2001, 10:25 pm
kaja

From my point of view you shouldn't have any problems with CityBank while relocating
to Canada . This bank has a lot of locations in Europe , so I guess it should be also
in Canada . I would call the main location and ask what I can do . Good luck to you !

Old Jun 24th 2001, 11:39 pm
Ali Bahar

citibank has offices in Canada.

>
    >
    >
    >

--
We build our computers like we build our cities: little by little, on
top of ruins.