Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Alberta (Family Stream) - any success?

Alberta (Family Stream) - any success?

Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:36 am
PR since Aug 2013

HoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to behold
Default Alberta (Family Stream) - any success?

Hi,

Has anyone on here applied for PR through Alberta's Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP formerly PNP), specifically the Family Stream?

It would be useful to know timelines from anyone who's either been through the process or going through it currently. It appears from research on here and other sites that it's about 12 to 18 months, but it would be good to hear from someone who has actually experienced it.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice
Default Re: Alberta (Family Stream) - any success?

Yes - we have. We sent off a package as a sponsor for my OH's sister and family. Our application went in July and was returned as they wanted more info on the qualification, and we hadnt copied the back of the PR cards, also we had one tax return that wasnt in the package but we sent it the day after we submitted and they didnt match it up.

Anyway, we re-applied early Oct and we havent heard a thing. Through some other online forums it looks like those who applied really early in the process July/early August are at the medicals stage. But for those who applied later it seems to be taking longer.

When was your application submitted? They are saying anything submitted before 09 should have something within 6 months - whether it be a file # or nomination, those who applied 09 are waiting 12-24 months for that to happen.

Our has been almost 5 1/2 months and i'm tempted to call - through the other forums some others are calling them around the 6 month mark and managing to get some answers.

It was stated that the reps on the calls are telling people that they are in the process of opening Sept applications.

It doesnt seem to be as fast as they initially explained, and because th dropped the 600 limit it means they are just bein flooded with applications so slowing everything down.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

nayaks has a brilliant futurenayaks has a brilliant futurenayaks has a brilliant futurenayaks has a brilliant futurenayaks has a brilliant futurenayaks has a brilliant future

Hi HoneyB,

We have recd AINP nomination last week and we had applied for it in Aug 08. We are currently on TWP for 2 years and have a SW appl Sep 2006 in which we are waiting for med requests. Our AINP is valid for 6 mnths and can apply for PR through AINP within that time in case we do not hear from CIC London re our original SW appl. I was told by AINP that PR through this can take 6 - 12 months but going by other PNP-PR most cases it is less than a year.

Good luck,
Anil
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:31 pm
PR since Aug 2013

HoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to behold

Thank you both for responding!

My husband and I haven't applied yet. We want to take one more trip to Calgary this coming winter (final recce and taste of a real winter!) and then apply at the beginning of 2010. I've downloaded all the forms from the website and I'm already getting our pack together even if I'm 9 months early! (When it gets closer I'll of course check that the forms/requirements haven't changed!)

Thanks again and as we get closer I may have more questions (if you don't mind?). Not very many people on the forum seem to be applying via this route. Or maybe they just don't talk about it? (Although, I suppose this specific route only opened up relatively recently...)

Anyway, thanks again and good luck to both.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

No problem, maybe it might be faster if you could apply for PR under skilled worker if you have one of the occupations on "the list" - those seem to be moving pretty fast these days. But that depends on what you do for a living.

The inlaws also have a PR visa going that has been in since Dec 06 and they just got request for documentation under that one, so it looks like PR and the AINP for them are really close together at this stage. I just wish we had the AINP forms corect in the first place and they would have had nomination by now.

It might be a good idea to just apply now......you dont have to pay to submit under AINP and if the recce trip doesnt work out then just pull out the application? That way you wont be playing the waiting game for quite as long.

Right now they are saying 12-24 months on AINP side and also another 12-18 on the CIC side, so it could still be a long wait for you.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:18 am
PR since Aug 2013

Hi,

Both our occupations are on "the list" and we qualify on the points system. Much as we'd love to be in Canada tomorrrow we have to wait anyway until my husband finishes an MSc so realistically we won't be ready to leave London for a couple of years anyway. (It's not needed to qualify, he's just doing it to further his career options). The winter recce isn't to help us decide. We're going to apply whether or not we like the -25c weather!

We're visiting the East Coast this summer (Toronto) as my company has its Canadian head quarters there and there may be the possibility to transfer. But both OH and I love Calgary and the Rockies and that's our preferred destination.

We came to Calgary in summer 2007 for Stampede week. Such fun! We also took in Banff, Lake Louise and over into BC. It's breathtaking. (Also went to Saskatoon for a couple of days to visit some friends but didn't like it as much.) But surely, you appreciate how gorgeous that part of the world is - that's why you're there!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think then - it would be best, when you feel able to - to apply under skilled worker, that way you dont have to rely on the family support - the financial aspect of it etc from them. And would also mean you did it all yourself - that part is a good feeling!

When we applied under SW (our application took just under 3 years to process and we've been here for 4), while the OH was undergoing his masters - at that time we just stated on the app that this was ongoing, and when he got the qualification it was right before we were accepted so it all worked out time wise.

Usually you get one year to leave the country after your medicals so if you applied at a time when you knew the OH qualification is almost at a close then you will have time to get through the whole process.

Its a hard decision, and i do believe the more time you have to sit on it the more you appreciate it when you get here. The rockies are lovely, and its nice in the mornings and nights to have that view on your way to and from work too, but choosing the right place to settle is difficult too - i guess its all in what you really want as the end result.....good luck on your adventure. And i do hope its not -25 on your recce trip - its getting warmer now
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

pripri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There!

I have applied via AINP, my Aunt lives in Calgary and I live in the West Mids!!

My timelines so far are as follows:

*August 09 - Application sent to AINP
*October 09 - Sponsor received refernce number & further docs requested
*December 09 - Sponsor received Confirmation of Acceptance/AINP pack
*December 09 - Received above in the UK
*February 12th 09 - Sent PR application to CIC London
*March 6th 09 - Received letter from CIC re AINP cert request
*March 6th 09 - Sent requested docs to CIC London

And now I am waiting for the next chapter as it were!!

Hope this helps!!