Advice: BC PNP vs FSW

Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice
Default Advice: BC PNP vs FSW

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice on whether to go for PR via BC PNP or FSW. I'm fairly convinced that it should be BC PNP but I'd be interested to listen to alternate views.

Some brief background: I came over in late Nov on a 1 year working holiday visa and started work as a software developer in Vancouver in early February. My employer and I have been working on the paperwork for BC PNP and it's just about done - it will probably all be finished by early next week.

I've been seeing ~some~ posts here showing that the FSW timeline at the moment is 6-12 months. This makes me consider going the FSW route (and by this I mean both list of 38 and AEO). This has the advantage of being cheaper (by $550) but is more risky in terms of timeline. Under BC PNP, it's quite likely I'll be approved in 4-8 weeks and could get a work permit any time after that with no problems.

Under the FSW route, I might reach the end of my current work permit before PR arrives and then I'll need to get a work permit. There's also political risk that work permits will become more and more restricted if this recession gets worse.

BC PNP is more expensive but probably more reliable.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: BC PNP vs FSW

Hi

Originally Posted by ESarge
Hi all,
I'm looking for advice on whether to go for PR via BC PNP or FSW. I'm fairly convinced that it should be BC PNP but I'd be interested to listen to alternate views.

Some brief background: I came over in late Nov on a 1 year working holiday visa and started work as a software developer in Vancouver in early February. My employer and I have been working on the paperwork for BC PNP and it's just about done - it will probably all be finished by early next week.

I've been seeing ~some~ posts here showing that the FSW timeline at the moment is 6-12 months. This makes me consider going the FSW route (and by this I mean both list of 38 and AEO). This has the advantage of being cheaper (by $550) but is more risky in terms of timeline. Under BC PNP, it's quite likely I'll be approved in 4-8 weeks and could get a work permit any time after that with no problems.

Under the FSW route, I might reach the end of my current work permit before PR arrives and then I'll need to get a work permit. There's also political risk that work permits will become more and more restricted if this recession gets worse.

BC PNP is more expensive but probably more reliable.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
1. As software developers aren't on the "list" you couldn't apply under FSW1, so the only route would be FSW2 with an AEO. CIC is saying they will process FSW1s in 6-12 months, no guarantee on FSW2/3.
2. It is still your choice.