4131 NOC

Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Canada dreaming is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how can I apply to immigrate as a teacher?

Hi

I would be really grateful for any help anyone could give me!

I was planning to apply as a Skilled Worker under the 4131 code as I currently work as a teacher in a sixth form college. I had put off applying for about a year now due to personal circumstances and logged onto the CIC website and was gutted to see 4131 is no longer on the list of occupations that are in demand.

My question is, does anyone know of any other way I can immigrate to Canada? I used the self test tool and still appear to get 69 points but obviously my job isn't on the list anymore...... can anyone help?

Thanks - canada dreaming

Last edited by Canada dreaming; Jul 10th 2010 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:50 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4131 NOC

Originally Posted by Canada dreaming
Hi

I would be really grateful for any help anyone could give me!

I was planning to apply as a Skilled Worker under the 4131 code as I currently work as a teacher in a sixth form college. I had put off applying for about a year now due to personal circumstances and logged onto the CIC website and was gutted to see 4131 is no longer on the list of occupations that are in demand.

My question is, does anyone know of any other way I can immigrate to Canada? I used the self test tool and still appear to get 69 points but obviously my job isn't on the list anymore...... can anyone help?

Thanks - canada dreaming
You would need a job offer to be able to apply under the FSW route now.

Depending on where in Canada you wish to go - there could be other options open to you.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You would need a job offer to be able to apply under the FSW route now.

Depending on where in Canada you wish to go - there could be other options open to you.
Hi AmyDavid

Thanks for your reply - I have visited Vancouver before but apart from that would be open to going anywhere except Quebec as I can't speak French! What other routes are there?

Thanks

Last edited by Canada dreaming; Jul 10th 2010 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Hi AmyDavid

Thanks for your reply - I have visited Vancouver before but apart from that would be open to going anywhere except Quebec as I can't speak French! What other routes are there?

Thanks
Teaching jobs in Canadian universities are very hard to come by unless you have some connection. I suggest you enroll in a grad program in Ontario. They recently started a PNP program that grants PR to Ontario grad school grads (MAs & PhDs) who don't have a job offer. I guess that's the easiest way to get PR after the 6-26 change if your noc is 4131.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi cityhog

That is great! Thanks! I'll look up grad courses straight away, its good to know I haven't completely missed the boat to get to Canada If you have any other ideas please let me know - thanks for your help, canada dreaming
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your NOC code was removed - it's one of the ones that everybody thought would go, but even so, not good. Such a shame you weren't able to apply earlier.

There are loads of different visa options (over 50 to be precise!), SW is only one of them. Have a look at all of the province's PNP programs, or perhaps a study permit, etc.

Without knowing all of your circumstances (i.e. how old are you, do you have family in Canada, do you have a partner that would be going with you - and if so, what does s/he do, have you had any other jobs in the past 10 years, what is your net worth, etc, etc) it's hard for us to advise you which visa may suit. But there are plenty of immigration consultants that do free online visa assessments, so maybe try one of them to get an idea of your options?

Good luck.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Hi Christmasoopma

Thanks for your advice, wow 50 visa routes! Good to know even though I missed out on the previous list....

Well, I'm 30 years old, no family in canada, and would be going alone if I finally decide to go for it, eek - big decision to state the obvious! The only serious job I've had is teaching so I would have to go under the 4131 code, although I have read extensively here how difficult it is to find work out in Canada as a teacher.

I'm fairly nervous about making the decision and with my father passing away last year, feel worried about leaving the little family I have in the UK. I know that decision is mine alone!

Thanks - canada dreaming
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

If you can't find the teaching job in Canada (even after obtaining Canadian credentials) then the only 3 ways under current rules (short of marrying Canadian) I can see are -

- to come to Canada to study for 2 years, then get post-graduate work permit (1 to 3 years) and after 1 year of skilled work apply under CEC, providing that rules won't eliminate this option within next 3 to 4 years (which is kinda hard to predict).

- to come to Canada to study for 1 year, get 1 year post-grad work permit, find the job and ask employer to support your PR application with arranged employment as defined in rules (working in Canada on valid work permit and having employer written intention letter to hire you permanently once you become a PR).

- come to study a graduate program in BC and upon completion apply under BC's PNP for international graduates.

I think that above 3 options may be somehow expanded if you put a creative mind to it.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know when you turn 31, but look into Bunac as well - it's a one year open work permit for people aged 30 and under. Unfortunately, this year's quota for visas has already gone, but the program opens again in December so if you haven't yet turned 31, you could do that. Don't delay applying though as the visas go very quickly (by end of Jan this year).

It would be a great way to get you over there working, and hopefully find an employer prepared to try and keep you.

Good luck!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Yes, I forgot BUNAC - it will work without having to spend money on study in Canada, as long as you find employer willing to give you a hand with arranged employment for your PR application.

Keep your eye on BUNAC every day, don't wait till December. CIC quite often adds number of working holiday visas well after initial allocation is gone.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Crazy72 and Christmasoompa!

That gives me loads of options to look into and since I turn 31 in December, I'll keep looking at BUNAC to see if thats an option that suits, I had thought I was too old for that one

Thanks very much for all your help, I really appreciate it
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nice

Hi Christmasoopma

Thanks for your advice, wow 50 visa routes! Good to know even though I missed out on the previous list....

Well, I'm 30 years old, no family in canada, and would be going alone if I finally decide to go for it, eek - big decision to state the obvious! The only serious job I've had is teaching so I would have to go under the 4131 code, although I have read extensively here how difficult it is to find work out in Canada as a teacher.

I'm fairly nervous about making the decision and with my father passing away last year, feel worried about leaving the little family I have in the UK. I know that decision is mine alone!

Thanks - canada dreaming
Hey CD

My story is a little like yours .. single .. no kids .. want to relocate to Canada etc .. its a massive decision for me too .. I'm 45 .. elderly Mum still living here .. close family and friends all here .. worked in education for 23 years .. etc etc .. I applied for residency under the old system in 2007 .. just got my visa this month .. long wait .. but you know what .. its worth it .. and although there are many ties to the UK .. my gut feeling for my future is in Canada .. near Vancouver actually ! I expect I'll get work don't know in what industry .. but its exciting just thinking about it !

So just wanted to say .. good luck with the decisions you make ! And if you make it to Vancouver .. coffee and a doughnut on me !

Peng
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pengy

Good to hear there are people out there in a similar situation to me! Thanks for your message and good luck too If I make it to Vancouver it would be great to meet up!

Canada dreaming
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:39 pm

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

I am currently doing my masters at Queen's. I did not use this as a visa route - fortunately our PR came through just before my course started. There are some bursaries/funding you may wamt to know about (if you are considering this route) PM me if you are interested...
Good luck anyway!
Lorraine.