Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Rehabilitation of spent conviction - our success story

Rehabilitation of spent conviction - our success story

Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Location: In a house.... In the UK.... It's enough for some,but not for me!
BuddyNHolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rehabilitation of spent conviction - our success story

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum a while ago as myself and my mum were hoping to visit and possibly eventually move to Canada in the future.

My initial concern was how long the rehabilitation process would take as my mother was convicted of 6 counts of "making dishonest representation to obtain benefit" in Jan 2002, and was sentenced to a total of six months imprisonment suspended for 12 months.

I was convinced we would have to apply for rehabilitation as there was more than one conviction and the sentence. However after trawling through this forum for weeks i came across the information regarding the rehabilitation of offender’s act 1974 and examining my mum’s conviction i thought this might apply to her.

I didn't want to just rely on this so also with a lot of research in to Canada law where i discovered a similar crime in Canada would be a summary offence which despite being more than one offence, the offender would be "deemed rehabilitated" after five years of the sentence imposed, which as it has now been 8 years would be true.

I sent ScottyB's template which i modified (thanks ScottyB it was a great starting point ) along with the British law broken, the Canadian law i suspected would apply, A letter from a solicitor confirming the conviction as "spent" (which cost £23.50inc vat) the acpo and the application for rehabilitation (for information only) by special deliver on 17th March 2010.

We have just received a reply this morning (20th April 2010) to say that her application for rehabilitation has been approved, it mentions the Burgon case of 1991 and states that she ceased to be admissible to Canada after the expiry of the statutory British waiting period.

I have my mums permission to post this information to hopefully help others as this site and it's contributors have effectively achieved this rehabilitation for us in just a few weeks, rather than the months of work and waiting it could have taken so Thank You and good luck to you all
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

The Hampsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rehabilitation of spent conviction - our success story

Thanx for that info, I was sentenced with a conditional discharge about 16 years ago and was convicted of assault when I was 16, I'm now 41 but was still concerned about it all coming back an biting me in the neck.
Thanx for that BuddynHolly
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Location: In a house.... In the UK.... It's enough for some,but not for me!
BuddyNHolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Hampsons
Thanx for that info, I was sentenced with a conditional discharge about 16 years ago and was convicted of assault when I was 16, I'm now 41 but was still concerned about it all coming back an biting me in the neck.
Thanx for that BuddynHolly
No problem!
Thankfully the British Justice System recognises mistakes and those who are rehabilitated :-)
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuddyNHolly
No problem!
Thankfully the British Justice System recognises mistakes and those who are rehabilitated :-)
All 6 of them!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
All 6 of them!
<snigger>

To the OP, congrats on your result
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Really chuffed for you both!!!

Glad my post helped in some way, good luck with the rest of the process and your new life in Canada if and when you apply

Regards

ScottyB