Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

120 day letter PR documents: letters of employment

120 day letter PR documents: letters of employment

Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

drabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant future
Default 120 day letter PR documents: letters of employment

Hi,
I'm trying to gather proof of employment from my previous employers and I'm not quite sure what I need.

Currently I have, letters (with company stamps and signatures) specifying:
Period of employment, positions held, responsibilities and salary.

Is this sufficient?
And do they need to be notarized?

Thank you,
Alan
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Re: 120 day letter PR documents: letters of employment

Hi Alan

I am also putting together docs for 120 day letter. I am sending letter of reference (with info as you stated) for each employer and my employment contract (if available- I haven't got a contract for one of my employers but do have a copy of the job description)

I am going to get my certified by our local solicitor. There is much debate and confusion about certifying and notarising (they are sometimes used interchangable) but people seem to have send certified copies and been ok.

I am going by the Appendix A checklist as below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37023.pdf

Hope this helps

Lucy
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by drabux
Hi,
I'm trying to gather proof of employment from my previous employers and I'm not quite sure what I need.

Currently I have, letters (with company stamps and signatures) specifying:
Period of employment, positions held, responsibilities and salary.

Is this sufficient?
And do they need to be notarized?

Thank you,
Alan
Read the Appendix A Guidance for London, on CIC's website (which Lucycrow provided a link to), and follow the instructions exactly. They are pretty clear.

If there is anything you cannot provide, send as much as you can with a covering letter to explain the shortfall. Some employer's can be pretty unhelpful when it comes to supplying anything other than the standard "he worked here between these dates" reference.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

drabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant future

Thank you both for your replies. Mark, you've hit the nail on the head. One employer is being very unhelpful - Sussex University - all sorts of excuses, 'lost' files, computer problems, lost letter, staff illness etc have conspired to produce a very large delay in their response and a very thin letter.

Having worked there I was very familiar with the bureaucratic incompetence of the institution but this time, they have surpassed themselves. I don't have time now to ask for them to complete my request in full for a second time and will have to make do with the one paragraph letter I finally got

I hope that because I left Sussex eight years ago, it will be looked on kindly.

Alan

PS And my treatment by them as an ex-employee doesn't compare to the way students were treated by the administration Glad I got that out of system
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

I have been pretty lucky (saying that I am still waiting for 1 employer to get back to me!) as I am in close contact with my previous employers but my problem is getting stamps. I just think that is not something companies have these days!

Good to everyone also trying to get the right info from past employers!

Lucy