Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:23 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

Originally Posted by lauren3274
So whats your advice for going it alone, and how to get started?
If you are talking about jobs and working a season:

Research all the different resorts you might to work at. This was a very good thread on here about the different resorts:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...please-821740/

Although you don't have your visa yet. Whistler blackcomb is just about open now taking online applications for interviews in sept and oct, ready to start for the winter season in November - have a look at the person specifications of the jobs you might be interested in and what they are looking for in candidates.

Whistler Blackcomb - Jobs at Whistler Blackcomb

This might also help you in looking for work at a resort:

How to Find Work at a Canadian Ski Resort | Moving to Canada

Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

lauren3274 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
If you are talking about jobs and working a season:

Research all the different resorts you might to work at. This was a very good thread on here about the different resorts:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...please-821740/

Although you don't have your visa yet. Whistler blackcomb is just about open now taking online applications for interviews in sept and oct, ready to start for the winter season in November - have a look at the person specifications of the jobs you might be interested in and what they are looking for in candidates.

Whistler Blackcomb - Jobs at Whistler Blackcomb

This might also help you in looking for work at a resort:

How to Find Work at a Canadian Ski Resort | Moving to Canada

Thanks!! I'm looking to work winter 2015 so I guess I'll get my visa sorted this year then have to wait a year to apply for jobs ha!
Old Aug 6th 2014, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't bother with anyone like BUNAC. I have some friends who did it and some who didn't (I didn't) and there wasn't really any difference in who got jobs. I live in Whistler now and have managed to get jobs fine. If you come here with enough money to support yourself while you're searching you'll definitely find work if you just apply for everything!

The jobs actually working for Whistler Blackcomb have a lot of competition, but the pay isn't great and there are plenty of jobs that will pay more and offer a discounted pass, so don't limit yourself to just working for the mountain.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 8:27 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

I say don't do it.

Seriously, that 500 pounds could pay for your flight. I remember reading about people missing out on the first round of allocation because BUNAC didn't email them about work permits opening until they had all gone. Before 2011 you had to use BUNAC as that was the only way to get a youth work permit in Canada. They no longer offer any guarantee of getting a work permit and they charge more money than they used to (strange). I used them in 2011 in the first year you could apply without an organisation and I only did it because they had their own allocation.

I didn't take the group flight. I went to their partner office here in Vancouver (SWAP) a couple of times but only to use their computers (for a change of scenery really whilst job hunting - could have easily gone all year without going in but decided to use the facility I'd paid for). When I arrived my plane was delayed and I spent 3 hours in an immigration line so I missed their "welcome to Canada" meeting. They wanted me to then wait a week for the next one. That wasn't going to happen, especially when Service Canada was across the street. (That's another good one, you go to the office for a welcome meeting / to get your SIN, yet it takes a few weeks to get the number as it's mailed away in a group. Service Canada across the street will give you the SIN there and then).

I just had a quick look on their website to see what had changed, and they have made changes. But to me I don't think it's justified. I never wanted to work a ski season so I can't advise on that. Though I do know plenty of people on FB who found work in the resorts themselves once they got here.

At the end of the day it's up to you. If you can't be bothered to put the time in and properly research Canada and what it has to offer, then pay BUNAC. But be under no illusion that they will apply for the permit for you because they won't.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

paulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nice

Re BUNAC, no needed anymore, as others have said.

I was forced to used them years ago. They pushed their flights, their insurance etc. Weeks of fighting before they would release the work permit letter until they agreed my own arrangements were at least the same as theirs.

The landing help pretty much consists of an orientation info lecture, providing you with forms for SIN etc applications and offer flyer for whatever is their chosen "student account" bank of the month.

The only benefit I can see is they will act as a mailbox for you whilst you set up accom etc. and its a decent place to meet similar people.

If you are heading to Whistler, just get there before end of September each year, and have some saving to get you through the no/part time work until Ski season starts.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

lauren3274 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys thanks for all that info! I have been researching stuff and decided I'm going to NOT use them! I'll save that money for accomodation whilst trying to find a job! I'm not restricted to whistler - I might even give it a miss due to the competition etc. How much money would you recommend I take to support me whilst looking for a job ?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:59 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauren3274
Hey guys thanks for all that info! I have been researching stuff and decided I'm going to NOT use them! I'll save that money for accomodation whilst trying to find a job! I'm not restricted to whistler - I might even give it a miss due to the competition etc. How much money would you recommend I take to support me whilst looking for a job ?
You need at least $2,500 as part of the work permit conditions, which is shown on a bank statement no more then 7 days old, it doesn't have to be in $$ as the officers will convert it.

On top of that save as much as you can.