Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

lauren3274 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

Hello!

I've been looking for some advice so i thought i'd come here!
I'm graduating from uni July 2015, and would love to go to Canada and work a ski season for 6 months and then stay in Canada and work for the other 6 months
I have found some 'third party' organisations that offer 'work and play Canada' options! However the cost for helping with getting me a Visa, and finding me a job is about £500 - however this does include things such as subsided accommodation, discounted flights and travel insurance.
I found an organisation called BUNAC who look really good - has anyone tried them before? (Work Canada | Work in Canada | Working Holiday Canada)
BUT then i was thinking i could do it all myself and save £500 - what do you guys think?
Also in regards to getting an IEC working holiday Visa - does anyone know when they are released for 2015? the fee is CAD150, so would that work out around £80 GBP?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:43 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 months in Canada + ski season BUNAC?

Hi

Originally Posted by lauren3274
Hello!

I've been looking for some advice so i thought i'd come here!
I'm graduating from uni July 2015, and would love to go to Canada and work a ski season for 6 months and then stay in Canada and work for the other 6 months
I have found some 'third party' organisations that offer 'work and play Canada' options! However the cost for helping with getting me a Visa, and finding me a job is about £500 - however this does include things such as subsided accommodation, discounted flights and travel insurance.
I found an organisation called BUNAC who look really good - has anyone tried them before? (Work Canada | Work in Canada | Working Holiday Canada)
BUT then i was thinking i could do it all myself and save £500 - what do you guys think?
Also in regards to getting an IEC working holiday Visa - does anyone know when they are released for 2015? the fee is CAD150, so would that work out around £80 GBP?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
1. Don't bother with the outside organizations unless you need hand holding.
2. Release probably Dec/15 you have to keep your eye open as they go within days.
3. All the information you need is here: Travel and Work in Canada | Temporary Work Visa For Work Holidays in Canada for Students and Youth | International Experience Canada
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply!
I wouldn't say I need my hand holding - but BUNAC offer things such as accom with other people on the same program etc. I also know the competition is fierce to get a job at somewhere like Whistler Blackcomb - but they gurantee you a job

Tough decisions!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:21 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Don't bother with the outside organizations unless you need hand holding.
2. Release probably Dec/15 you have to keep your eye open as they go within days.
Within minutes more like...

The 5,300 visas for the UK were released in 3 batches on dates in December and January. The first round went within 20 minutes and 2nd and third even less.

I would ask others that have used BUNAC and the full placement package before what they thought of the service before paying them out all that money.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Within minutes more like...

The 5,300 visas for the UK were released in 3 batches on dates in December and January. The first round went within 20 minutes and 2nd and third even less.

I would ask others that have used BUNAC and the full placement package before what they thought of the service before paying them out all that money.

Wow thats so fast!! I think I'd rather shell out some money for someone else to help me deal with it! As i know that there will be no specific date the visa's will be released and i dont want to miss it!
I wonder how i would find people who have used BUNAC's services? Apart from the ones on the website (which they have selected for obvious reasons haha).

Thanks for your reply!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how i would find people who have used BUNAC's services?
A quick search of the forum should give you threads from people that have used Bunac. Failing that, the Facebook page or a quick Tweet should also give you lots of results.

HTH.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:49 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats so fast!! I think I'd rather shell out some money for someone else to help me deal with it!
Yeah but £500...plus your visa cost (approx £85) and then your flight and insurance as I didn't think BUNAC paid for the insurance and also your police check at at least £45

BUNAC will not apply for the visa on your behalf you have to do it yourself so you are still going have to be on the ball and be ready on the date and time the visas are released

Plus if you get a job in one of the resorts. You usually arrive there a month before the season starts so you need as much money saved as possible for living costs
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Yeah but £500...plus your visa cost (approx £85) and then your flight and insurance as I didn't think BUNAC paid for the insurance and also your police check at at least £45

BUNAC will not apply for the visa on your behalf you have to do it yourself so you are still going have to be on the ball and be ready on the date and time the visas are released

Plus if you get a job in one of the resorts. You usually arrive there a month before the season starts so you need as much money saved as possible for living costs
Yeah im aware of those things - however i will arrive and start work within a couple of days - so there wont be a long period where im not earning money.

Im thinking of working at Whistler Blackcomb - it looks amazing!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:04 pm
Bex in the city

Wow thats so fast!! I think I'd rather shell out some money for someone else to help me deal with it!

Yeah im aware of those things
Well then I don't understand how BUNAC will help you get the visa if you already know they can't?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Well then I don't understand how BUNAC will help you get the visa if you already know they can't?
They basically help with all of the prep - and i think they act on behalf of you in the 2nd step of the application.
Obviously they do something toherwise they wouldnt exist?
Im just trying to get some advice on the company really!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They basically help with all of the prep - and i think they act on behalf of you in the 2nd step of the application.
Im just trying to get some advice on the company really!
They exist because you used to not be able to get your IEC visa directly, and had to go through them as they were an agent of the Canadian government. But now you can do it yourself, I don't see any need to use them for the visa process tbh - they certainly don't help you with 'all the prep', you have to do that yourself.

If you want to use them for employment purposes, that's different though, but the visa application is down to you.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They exist because you used to not be able to get your IEC visa directly, and had to go through them as they were an agent of the Canadian government. But now you can do it yourself, I don't see any need to use them for the visa process tbh - they certainly don't help you with 'all the prep', you have to do that yourself.

If you want to use them for employment purposes, that's different though, but the visa application is down to you.

Oh okay! Yeah im just worried about missing the visa's being released!
But i think im kind of seeking help on the job hunting front - i want to have that all sorted before i go! and also have some support whilst im there. I am an idependent person but travelling to a different country and trying to get a job in a competitive market seems a bit daunting for me!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:29 pm
Bex in the city

....They exist by taking a large amount of money from worried travellers in return for a service/package that people can do by themselves with a bit of research and forward planning (from what I have read so far on the company in regards to their Canadian services)

I am sure there are a few people out there who have had success with BUNAC but generally the advice I was given was don't bother touching them with a barge pole
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

....They exist by taking a large amount of money from worried travellers in return for a service/package that people can do by themselves with a bit of research and forward planning (from what I have read so far on the company in regards to their Canadian services)

I am sure there are a few people out there who have had success with BUNAC but generally the advice I was given was don't bother touching them with a barge pole

So whats your advice for going it alone, and how to get started?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah im aware of those things - however i will arrive and start work within a couple of days - so there wont be a long period where im not earning money.
So long as you have a job arranged. If not, you won't know until you actually get a job.

One of my kids has been trying for weeks to get a job, although she is being a bit fussy who she works for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.