Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Nymeria is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

Hi everyone, I'm new here Nice to meet you all!

I hope this is the right place to post this, I need some advice. My friend and I have both applied for our IEC this year. We both got a place in the first round and on Monday I received my LOI letter (indescribably happy). My friend just has a few more documents to upload to her MyCIC account and she's going to submit her application this Saturday.

We've both been thinking about where we'd like to go. We know we definitely want to go out there this year at the start of the winter season and get jobs, but looking on-line I'm kind of overwhelmed by the choice of places (we all know how massive Canada is!) and I'm struggling to even make a short list of places.

That's where I'm hoping you knowledgeable and wise people will step in...

Where would you recommend is a good place to find work winter season?

I know a lot will also depend upon what we're looking to get from Canada and do alongside work so just a bit of information:
- We both come from a relatively big city (Liverpool) so we would like a place that has a city feel or that's within reasonable distance of a city (we definitely wouldn't say no to a small town though! But I think we'd go a little crazy if it was too isolated)
- We're both outdoor kind of girls. My friend loves cycling, I love running. We want to try skiing and snowboarding too. And I absolutely LOVE nature and wildlife. We want to experience the real Canada, if that makes sense?
- We're going to save up as much money as we can, more than the proof of funds required. We're aware and prepared to stay in hostels for the first couple of weeks if needs be but we eventually would like to have our own apartment.
- We are willing to do any type of work but of course we have our preferences (my friend would like something indoors, FOH, receptionist kind of stuff. I have my eye on the slopes and the outdoor kind of work) but we will take anything we can get!

I have been looking at Whistler and Banff up to now. Any more suggestions?

Also, what month would be best to go out for the winter and job hunting? We were thinking mid-October or will places have already hired by then?

If anybody can offer any help it would be much appreciated. A lot of questions I know, but we are so anxious and excited. We can barely wait to get out there!

Thanks in advance for any help given

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 15th 2014 at 8:43 pm. Reason: Amending visa name
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP Approved... Some Advice Please?

If you have a TWP, don't you have to go where the job is? Or did you get something else?

Assuming that you're not tied to a job, touristy spots sound they'd fit you, you mentioned Banff, but there are pockets nationwide. I have a friend who works in Blue Mountain for example, in Ontario, near Collingwood, Georgian Bay.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP Approved... Some Advice Please?

Sounds like you've actually got an IEC visa, not a TWP?

I'll amend your thread title so that people know you can go anywhere (rather than a TWP where you're going for a certain job).

Best of luck with it.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

Sounds more like IEC than TWP? Can you clarify?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

That's better
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Oops! Sorry everyone. Yes, I meant IEC! The excitement is getting too much for me I can barely think straight Thanks for the edit christmasoompa!

I will read up on those places you mentioned Dashie. Thanks for the potential places!

Any more suggestions anyone?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Fernie for winter ski resort jobs. A friends' son came out a couple of years ago and had an absolute blast, lots of social life as well. It's not a big place, but for the season I would think you would have fun there.

Lots of jobs at ski resorts on google!

Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Fernie for winter ski resort jobs. A friends' son came out a couple of years ago and had an absolute blast, lots of social life as well. It's not a big place, but for the season I would think you would have fun there.

Lots of jobs at ski resorts on google!

Thank you Siouxie! My friend and I looked into potential places last night and Fernie is definitely on our list! We have also narrowed it down to Whistler, Big White, Blue Mountain and Banff.

Just a couple more questions. When is the best time to head out for the winter season in terms of employment? And is it common for people on the IEC to move to a different place for a job once the winter season is over? I imagine some ski resorts would die down coming up to and during summer.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nymeria
Thank you Siouxie! My friend and I looked into potential places last night and Fernie is definitely on our list! We have also narrowed it down to Whistler, Big White, Blue Mountain and Banff.

Just a couple more questions. When is the best time to head out for the winter season in terms of employment? And is it common for people on the IEC to move to a different place for a job once the winter season is over? I imagine some ski resorts would die down coming up to and during summer.

Thanks for any help you can give.
You are very welcome.

They normally have job fairs or advertise on their websites in September/October but I know my sons friend had already got a placement when he came over in September 2012. I will ask him how he got it for you.

Some of the ski resorts have jobs throughout the summer as well, but it's more common for people to move elsewhere for jobs after the ski season ends.

It might be worth your while to get your alcohol server certificate - for BC 'serving it right' http://www.servingitright.com/ - for Ontario 'smartserve' https://www.smartserve.ca/ - so you are able to get bar tending jobs too. You can do both online.

Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

You are very welcome.

They normally have job fairs or advertise on their websites in September/October but I know my sons friend had already got a placement when he came over in September 2012. I will ask him how he got it for you.

Some of the ski resorts have jobs throughout the summer as well, but it's more common for people to move elsewhere for jobs after the ski season ends.

It might be worth your while to get your alcohol server certificate - for BC 'serving it right' http://www.servingitright.com/ - for Ontario 'smartserve' https://www.smartserve.ca/ - so you are able to get bar tending jobs too. You can do both online.

That would be so great if you could Siouxie, thanks Yeah I think we're going to move somewhere else after the ski season is over.

And thanks also for the link! I was checking that out the other day, it would be really useful to have before we go over so we're going to make sure we get them.

It's all so exciting. I can't wait to get out there
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:46 pm
Banned

That would be so great if you could Siouxie, thanks Yeah I think we're going to move somewhere else after the ski season is over.

And thanks also for the link! I was checking that out the other day, it would be really useful to have before we go over so we're going to make sure we get them.

You are very welcome

I have sent him a message on FB, so hopefully he will get back to me with some info.

I'll let you know if I hear anything back!

Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

Is it necessary to get this to do bar work?

And is it something they physically send you in the mail once completed? (I'm thinking in terms of international postage or waiting until landing in Canada to do it)
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRAY

And is it something they physically send you in the mail once completed? (I'm thinking in terms of international postage or waiting until landing in Canada to do it)
In Ontario and BC it is and I believe others have mandatory programmes or courses that have to be taken before you would be allowed to work in a bar.

About Smart Serve
Smart Serve is a dedicated advocate for responsible alcohol service. Anyone who serves or handles alcohol in a licensed establishment in Ontario must be certified by Smart Serve.

Serving It Right is British Columbia's mandatory self-study course that educates licensees, managers and servers about their legal responsibilities when serving alcohol, and provides effective techniques to prevent problems related to over-service. Serving It Right is administered by go2 - BC’s tourism industry human resource association.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 11:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CRAY

Yes, as FL said, it is a requirement to be employed to serve alcohol. Some Provinces recognise certification from elsewhere in Canada so you probably only need to do one. BC - once you have successfully completed the exam you will receive your SIR certificate number immediately and have the option of printing your certificate or ordering a wallet-sized card for an additional $5.
http://www.servingitright.com/faq.html

Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:51 pm
Banned

Hello there,

I had a reply and this is the advice given.
I got a job from the Fernie job fair, which they have every October before the ski season starts. If you google fernie job fair it should bring up the date of the 2014 one on the fernie website. The fernie website is a good start for info. If they are going to the jobs fair, tell them to treat it like an interview, i.e. have a resume, a shave and dress smartly. (No need for formal though). I got offered about four jobs, not just because I was a bit older and had done lots of interviews before, but because I didn't look like I had just woken up, which many did!! Basically, get there, stay in the raging elk hostel, talk to everyone.

If people are skilled, i.e. chefs, electricians, joiners they may have some success contacting people before they arrive. Search on google for relevent companies.
This is the details for the 2013 one to give you an idea: http://www.skifernie.com/the-mountai...IR-OCT2013.pdf

http://www.skifernie.com/the-mountain/employment.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.