Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Approved... Some Advice Please?

Best of luck on your adventure, Nymeria
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yes, as FL said, it is a requirement to be employed to serve alcohol. Some Provinces recognise certification from elsewhere in Canada so you probably only need to do one. BC - once you have successfully completed the exam you will receive your SIR certificate number immediately and have the option of printing your certificate or ordering a wallet-sized card for an additional $5.
http://www.servingitright.com/faq.html

Cheers Siouxie, most helpful
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Nymeria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello there,

I had a reply and this is the advice given.
I got a job from the Fernie job fair, which they have every October before the ski season starts. If you google fernie job fair it should bring up the date of the 2014 one on the fernie website. The fernie website is a good start for info. If they are going to the jobs fair, tell them to treat it like an interview, i.e. have a resume, a shave and dress smartly. (No need for formal though). I got offered about four jobs, not just because I was a bit older and had done lots of interviews before, but because I didn't look like I had just woken up, which many did!! Basically, get there, stay in the raging elk hostel, talk to everyone.

If people are skilled, i.e. chefs, electricians, joiners they may have some success contacting people before they arrive. Search on google for relevent companies.
This is the details for the 2013 one to give you an idea: http://www.skifernie.com/the-mountai...IR-OCT2013.pdf

http://www.skifernie.com/the-mountain/employment.aspx

Thanks so much Siouxie! That's so helpful. So I'm right in thinking that 7th - 14th October is probably the best place to get to Canada? Obviously it will depend on each individual place and the time they're hiring but it sounds like the winter season starts end of October/beginning of November?

We need to pick a destination so we can start making proper plans. There are lots of places that appeal to us, they all sound great! Any knowledge of how easy or tough it is to get jobs in Whistler? That is one of the places that's really appealing to us at the moment. I know it's a popular tourist resort so lots of jobs possibly but also lots of competition.

Really appreciate all of the help so far Siouxie

Originally Posted by floatsy
Best of luck on your adventure, Nymeria
Thanks so much floatsy! We've both been talking about doing this for years and are now so excited it's finally happening.

My friend also got her IEC application approved so we both have a spot
Old Jan 25th 2014, 11:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nymeria
Thanks so much Siouxie! That's so helpful. So I'm right in thinking that 7th - 14th October is probably the best place to get to Canada? Obviously it will depend on each individual place and the time they're hiring but it sounds like the winter season starts end of October/beginning of November?

We need to pick a destination so we can start making proper plans. There are lots of places that appeal to us, they all sound great! Any knowledge of how easy or tough it is to get jobs in Whistler? That is one of the places that's really appealing to us at the moment. I know it's a popular tourist resort so lots of jobs possibly but also lots of competition.

Really appreciate all of the help so far Siouxie

Thanks so much floatsy! We've both been talking about doing this for years and are now so excited it's finally happening.

My friend also got her IEC application approved so we both have a spot
You are most welcome.

According to the Whistler ski resort website, there were 1,300 applicants this year - and you will also be competing against returnee's. Their job fair is in September so I suppose theoretically you could go there first and if you weren't successful, move on to Fernie or one of the other ski resorts. You will need a police certificate so would suggest getting 2 copies of your ACRO so you can bring one with you.

Probably one of the first things to do is to use a google search and find out when each resort is having their job fair or recruitment drive, then make sure you are available in Canada for the ones that interest you.

Hope you have fun!

Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light

WOW !!!!

I think everysingle question I have had in my head for the last 2 weeks has been answered here, Thanks Becki for linking me to this , and thanks Nymeria for the questions and Siouxie for the answers.
Nymeria these are the exact locations I was interested in.
I was thinking of going through Bunac, I phoned them today and they said they would only be taking people out around November. And the only choices are Blue Mountain and Whistler.
£530 for a full placement job. But I don't think they allow you to do barwork.

The only different question I have is
Bunac say they offer you and you gain access to there exclusive employers and benefits such as,
Subsidised onsite accommodation
◾ Discounted ski pass
◾ Employee meals

But is it actually Bunac or if you are employed on a Ski Resort do you gain Subsidised onsite accommodation etc anyway ?

Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2222
WOW !!!!

I think everysingle question I have had in my head for the last 2 weeks has been answered here, Thanks Becki for linking me to this , and thanks Nymeria for the questions and Siouxie for the answers.
I was thinking of going through Bunac, I phoned them today and they said they would only be taking people out around November. And the only choices are Blue Mountain and Whistler.

Bunac say they offer you and you gain access to there exclusive employers and benefits such as,
◾ Discounted ski pass
◾ Employee meals

But is it actually Bunac or if you are employed on a Ski Resort do you gain Subsidised onsite accommodation etc anyway ?

Thanks

Chris
You are very welcome.

Whistler give all their employees a season pass, provided they are in good standing, plus lots of other perks like discounted restaurants - they also have on-site housing.
"... As long as you remain an employee in good standing with Whistler Blackcomb you will have a season pass to access the mountains... "
Fernie give a list of perks including free ski pass, discounts etc.

Blue Mountain is the same.

I believe discounted staff accommodation, lift passes and food are pretty much standard with most of the ski resorts. Blue Mountain and Whistler employment opportunities are not 'exclusive' to Bunac - they both have job fairs every year.

If you look at the google link in my post above, there are links to most of the ski resorts in Canada - have a look at the employment pages and see what is on offer.

Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much Souxie

This page is saved and in my favourites, thanks for all the links on this page.
Exactly what I have been trying to find on the internet on one thread.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2222
WOW !!!!

◾ Discounted ski pass
◾ Employee meals

Thanks

Chris
Glad you found it useful!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Glad you found it useful!
Useful is an understatement Becki,Its a Goldmine. Great Thread thanks for the link

Last edited by Chris2222; Jan 30th 2014 at 12:00 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:36 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just been re-reading this very useful thread

I looked at the links for fernie and whistler.

although both ask for a copy of your criminal background check. Fernie want one dated within the last 3 months or 30 days if you are working within childcare. Whistler are happy to see the police check used for the work permit as long as it's within 18 months.

Not sure how it would work for fernie then..?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

As not all jobs come with accommodation I would also consider looking into accommodation options. Accommodation in the ski resorts such can be very expensive and not easy to find.

some links for Banff Recruitment Information

Gap Year Canada - Welcome
Old Jul 8th 2014, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nymeria
Thank you Siouxie! My friend and I looked into potential places last night and Fernie is definitely on our list! We have also narrowed it down to Whistler, Big White, Blue Mountain and Banff.

Just a couple more questions. When is the best time to head out for the winter season in terms of employment? And is it common for people on the IEC to move to a different place for a job once the winter season is over? I imagine some ski resorts would die down coming up to and during summer.

Thanks for any help you can give.
IMO, you'd go a bit stir crazy in Big White. It's very small, and not a great deal going on there. I love Big White, its a brilliant ski area, but more than like 3 days and I've had enough, so spending a whole season there might be a bit boring.

Vancouver sounds like a good fit for you, especially if you love the outdoors. You'd be in a city, so plenty going on, but also only 30 mins (tops) from 3 local mountains. So you could always consider living in Vancouver and working at one of the local mountains, Grouse, Seymour or Cypress.

I've heard a lot of things, both good and bad, about doing a season in Whistler. I think it's for a 'certain' crowd. I don't want to say too much and potentially influence your decision, but maybe someone who's lived/worked there could shed some light. It's obviously one of the more popular destinations for temporary workers, so I think you'd spend the majority of your time with Australians and English people... so it depends what you're after.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ookie123
As not all jobs come with accommodation I would also consider looking into accommodation options. Accommodation in the ski resorts such can be very expensive and not easy to find.

some links for Banff Recruitment Information

Gap Year Canada - Welcome
Thank you for posting those, but do note the date on the thread - it's from January! So the OP may well be in Canada already.

If you're searching for threads, please do check that they're recent before posting on them, thx.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Just been re-reading this very useful thread

I looked at the links for fernie and whistler.

although both ask for a copy of your criminal background check. Fernie want one dated within the last 3 months or 30 days if you are working within childcare. Whistler are happy to see the police check used for the work permit as long as it's within 18 months.

Not sure how it would work for fernie then..?
Fernie Alpine Resort only needs background checks if you are Canadian they presume if you have a IEC you would have already been cleared by the Canadian Government.

I would only go to Fernie if you are a good skier to be honest the hill isn't beginner friendly and the town has a lot of problems and there are just better ski towns to work in.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 4:00 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely stay west - forget the eastern ski hills - they're just that; hills!

Fernie, Sun Peaks, Whistler (natch), Revelstoke.

(Did a bunch of winter seasons myself, including around Europe, so I know what I'm talking about)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.