[Question]LMIA application

Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:03 am
Just Joined

5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default [Question]LMIA application

Hello all, does anyone know how could employer support their emploee for LMIA application? I tried to use the LMIA application document and got confused on how to choose the purpose of application. No.1 is 'permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national only after their immigration application is proceed and the permanent resident visa is issued).
This is what I thought the correct one however it doesn't allow employee to work before the LMIA... Could anyone help to explain? Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Question]LMIA application

Firstly the LMIA form should be filled in by your employer - you as an employee cannot fill this form (or submit it).

Secondly, there's 2 types of LMIA, one to support a PR application and one to get a temporary work permit.

The LMIA to support a PR application is free but cannot be used to get a temporary work permit. This is what it means by not being able to hire the foreign national until after the immigration application is complete - i.e. they have been granted PR.

The LMIA to get a temporary work permit costs $1000 but allows the employer to hire the employee before PR is granted. Under this one, you could get the LMIA, use it to get a TWP, head for Canada to start work and then submit your PR application while in Canada. The same LMIA granted to get a TWP can be used to support a PR application as well (so long as it has not expired).
Old Apr 12th 2015, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute5amsjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Firstly the LMIA form should be filled in by your employer - you as an employee cannot fill this form (or submit it).

Secondly, there's 2 types of LMIA, one to support a PR application and one to get a temporary work permit.

The LMIA to support a PR application is free but cannot be used to get a temporary work permit. This is what it means by not being able to hire the foreign national until after the immigration application is complete - i.e. they have been granted PR.

The LMIA to get a temporary work permit costs $1000 but allows the employer to hire the employee before PR is granted. Under this one, you could get the LMIA, use it to get a TWP, head for Canada to start work and then submit your PR application while in Canada. The same LMIA granted to get a TWP can be used to support a PR application as well (so long as it has not expired).
Thanks for your comment. I don't think I express myself clearly. My question is as an employee who is already working for this empolyer, which option should I use? I'm holding a work permit that means I don't need to apply for another one, however I do work for the employer now which is before the the PR granted. That's the tricky part.
And you are right, this is going to be filled in by my empolyer however I need to review and solve everything before hand it to them....
Old Apr 12th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

If you're already working in Canada then there must be an existing LMO and Work Permit in place?

What status have you currently got here?
Old Apr 12th 2015, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by withabix
If you're already working in Canada then there must be an existing LMO and Work Permit in place?

What status have you currently got here?
I'm an Intra-company transferree that doesn't rquired a LMIA at first place.