Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

*Newbie!* ... can someone please tell me if I need a job offer to emigrate?

*Newbie!* ... can someone please tell me if I need a job offer to emigrate?

Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Sarahjane88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default *Newbie!* ... can someone please tell me if I need a job offer to emigrate?

Hi there,

This is my first post so please be kind

My name is Sarah-Jane, I'm a registered nurse with soon to be 12 months experience. I completed my training in Scotland. Me, my husband and our five year son would be hoping to move to Ontario, Canada in under 2 years. My husband's job is not recognised on the NOC so it will be my own merits that make us eligible to emigrate.

I have done a ton of research and seem to grasp the effort, time and money involved in emigrating to Canada - but I'm still a little confused in some areas. Today we had a meeting with a Canadian Immigration Consultant called Dennis Brazalot who seemed to know his stuff, however some of the information he gave me seemed to conflict with things I had read from the articles on this website and the CIC.

He has said that I didn't need a job offer to obtain my federal skilled worker permanent resident visa. He has scored us at 67 points for round 1 and approx 371-404 points for round two.

I was sure that according to the CIC website that we needed, at the very least, to have a job offer, a provincial nomination or have the highest points in order to get an invitation to apply. So I questioned him on this and he told me we would be charged a further £2600 by his company for arranging the Labour Market Impact Assessment and a temporary work visa. He also said that I would be expected to move over to Canada almost immediately at the employers request.

He advised us to apply for federal skilled worker with no job offer, prove we had £10,000 to support us, and once we had been granted the visa we would have time to job hunt before we relocated over there. (I hadn't been aware that once the visa was issued we actually have a good amount of time to get ourselves sorted). He also suggested we could have our invitation to apply by the end of the year.

He wanted £5000 approximately for his services and we just aren't financially viable to pay this on top of all the other fees and costs I am anticipating so we have decided to do this ourselves. (The thought is terrifying ).

So... can someone please give me advice on whether we should have a job offer or not?

AND

If I DO need a job offer for a successful visa application - is it normal for employers to give open job offers and wait the necessary time for an immigrant to get a visa (and in my case, registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario)?

Please help
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Newbie!* ... can someone please tell me if I need a job offer to emigrate?

do a search on this site for that particular company and then draw your own conclusions as to whether you should use them

WE have a great wiki that you can access from the blue ribbon on the top or via the "please read me" sticky threads here.

worth a look also

Also worth searching for posts about nursing in Canada.

In short I don't know the answers to your questions but I do know where you may be able to find the answers

Hope this helps
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Newbie!* ... can someone please tell me if I need a job offer to emigrate?

Welcome to BE
I suggest that you do a search on this frum for 'nursing in Canada', from what I've read it is a long and time consuming process, and is likely to take over a year.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have read about people haveing great difficulties getting nursing jobs there, and I suspect your lack of experience will also be a bit of a problem
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Sarahjane88
My husband's job is not recognised on the NOC so it will be my own merits that make us eligible to emigrate.
The NOC is thousands of jobs, and pretty much every single one out there. Are you sure your husband's job isn't on it?

Today we had a meeting with a Canadian Immigration Consultant called Dennis Brazalot who seemed to know his stuff, however some of the information he gave me seemed to conflict with things I had read from the articles on this website and the CIC.
I'd strongly suggest you do a forum search to see what's been said about him and his company in the past.

He has said that I didn't need a job offer to obtain my federal skilled worker permanent resident visa. He has scored us at 67 points for round 1 and approx 371-404 points for round two.

I was sure that according to the CIC website that we needed, at the very least, to have a job offer, a provincial nomination or have the highest points in order to get an invitation to apply. So I questioned him on this and he told me we would be charged a further £2600 by his company for arranging the Labour Market Impact Assessment and a temporary work visa. He also said that I would be expected to move over to Canada almost immediately at the employers request.
At the moment, you're right and he's wrong. With as CRS score of around 400 you'd be very unlikely to be picked from the pool, the lowest so far has been around 490 iirc? So you're quite a way off that and although you could submit an application, you'd be unlikely to get an ITA without a job offer or nomination. That may change in the future of course though, so perhaps the score will drop down as time goes on and CIC have less applicants to choose from.

And just FYI, it's illegal in Canada to charge the employee anything for helping them to find a job, so if he's proposing a fee of £2600 that's against the law. And if he's not proposing to help you job hunt and the fee is just for the LMIA (which the employer has to apply for anyway, you don't do it) or the TWP (which you'd just get at the airport when you arrive) then that's a complete rip off.

He advised us to apply for federal skilled worker with no job offer, prove we had £10,000 to support us
Odd, as it's not £10,000. Didn't he give you the exact figure? The rest of his suggestion would make sense though, you've got ages before you have to move once you've been granted PR. But that's if you get granted PR without a job offer in the first place.

He wanted £5000 approximately for his services and we just aren't financially viable to pay this on top of all the other fees and costs I am anticipating so we have decided to do this ourselves. (The thought is terrifying ).
Don't be terrified, it's really not as scary as you think! A quick look at the application pack on the CIC website will show you that the forms are pretty straightforward, and you'd have to gather all of the paperwork yourself anyway even if you did use a consultant. £5000 will be a fairly small amount in terms of the total for emigrating, but I personally don't think you'd need to pay that unless you have complicated circumstances (i.e. a criminal history or medical issues). And if you were going to spend thousands on hiring somebody to help you, I'd choose somebody else personally.

If I DO need a job offer for a successful visa application - is it normal for employers to give open job offers and wait the necessary time for an immigrant to get a visa (and in my case, registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario)?
My understanding is that you'll need to get licensed to work in Canada first, and that can take a year or two, so you wouldn't need to get a job offer yet anyway. But yes, once you've done that it's perfectly normal for an employer to wait for you if you have the skills they need.

I hope that helps a bit, do have a hunt around the forum (you'll find lots of useful info from nurses on how to get registered/licensed), and best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 25th 2015 at 4:50 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Zoe for your reply, I appreciate any advice anybody has to offer.

I have done a bit of research on this particular immigration company but like them all, I read both positive and negative reviews.

I have had great fun looking through the wiki articles on this site and the conclusion I'm drawing from them is I should obtain a job offer first. But it does seem unusual to get such a vote of confidence from an employer before I have even began my visa application. Perhaps this is the norm in Canada?

The pathway Dennis Brazalot does sound good - obtain visa, job hunt, and then move - but I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'll realistically be invited to apply without a job offer AND points in the 400 region.

Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone else, particularly Christmasoompa, for your honest replies. That has reassured me to trust my instincts.

I knew that registering with the CNO was another drawn out procedure and wasn't sure where that fitted in, but you have certainly nudged me in the right direction. So, it sounds like I need to get on the register first, then job hunt, obtain job offer, and then visa? Can you confirm that for me? I never found a basic clear step-by-step during my research lol!

Sorry, just to clarify the £10,000 was just a rounded up figure, he said for the three of us it would be in that region (he did give us an exact figure but I can't remember of the top of my head).

Once again, I truly appreciate your replies.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I knew that registering with the CNO was another drawn out procedure and wasn't sure where that fitted in, but you have certainly nudged me in the right direction. So, it sounds like I need to get on the register first, then job hunt, obtain job offer, and then visa? Can you confirm that for me? I never found a basic clear step-by-step during my research lol!
I think so, but do post on the main forum about your nursing registration, as I'm not 100% clear on that, but there are plenty of nurses around that will steer you in the right direction!

Sorry, just to clarify the £10,000 was just a rounded up figure, he said for the three of us it would be in that region (he did give us an exact figure but I can't remember of the top of my head).
$18,260. Although realistically you'd need to double that, the amount CIC require is ludicrously low for some reason!

Good luck.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 5:53 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got time to reply now (new baby/dog walking/kids from school) but will reply later if Caleo et Al doesn't respond. Worth digging out/searching for nursing threads or where nursing is mentioned and have a read...

Didn't want to read and run..
Old Mar 25th 2015, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Tirytory, have found one nursing thread already and seems other nurses are working toward their registration first. Seems to be the way to start this long journey