Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Willows Suitable for Basket Making!

Willows Suitable for Basket Making!

Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default Willows Suitable for Basket Making!

Do we have anyone near our end of Hungary that would be intrested in growing willows that have been carefully choosen for basketmaking?Over the last two to three years I have been collecting varieties from all over europe in the form of cuttings which I then grew on in pots while we hunted for the right property where we could establish them so that I would have the best materials for my baskets.Now we have the right place Sods Law has kicked in and I am unwell,so even after planting what we can manage we shall have a couple of hundred well root plants to spare,so if anyone might be intrested drop us a p.m for full details!All good wishes from N.E Slovenia .Mike.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:32 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Willows Suitable for Basket Making!

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
Do we have anyone near our end of Hungary that would be intrested in growing willows that have been carefully choosen for basketmaking?Over the last two to three years I have been collecting varieties from all over europe in the form of cuttings which I then grew on in pots while we hunted for the right property where we could establish them so that I would have the best materials for my baskets.Now we have the right place Sods Law has kicked in and I am unwell,so even after planting what we can manage we shall have a couple of hundred well root plants to spare,so if anyone might be intrested drop us a p.m for full details!All good wishes from N.E Slovenia .Mike.
No..... if only you had posted this a couple of weeks ago!!! I have an acre and a half which the farmer uses but I wanted to stop that because of the spraying - this would have been ideal
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I might be interested. Do they need a particular soil type, mine is mostly sand?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I might be interested. Do they need a particular soil type, mine is mostly sand?
As much as I would like to find a home for these willows i am afraid a sandy soil would not be the best.I know most people think you need wet land and while its true you need a soil with good moisture retention it need not be swampy,if the land will grow good grass it will grow willow!But sandy soil really is best for carrots.Best wishes,Mike.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

The dandelions also seem to like it here, I took this today:

Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:06 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I would like to find a home for these willows i am afraid a sandy soil would not be the best.I know most people think you need wet land and while its true you need a soil with good moisture retention it need not be swampy,if the land will grow good grass it will grow willow!But sandy soil really is best for carrots.Best wishes,Mike.
My field is perfect, clay soil, at the bottom of an incline so never too dry. Hopefully you will find somebody to plant them but if you have any left around August, let me know.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The dandelions also seem to like it here, I took this today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...ps0d3a7af9.jpg
Looks similar to mine at the moment and I don't have the excuse of being away
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Looks similar to mine at the moment and I don't have the excuse of being away
We appear to be taken over by dandelions too. Perhaps we can make an infusion
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Polgardi
We appear to be taken over by dandelions too. Perhaps we can make an infusion
Mixed with blue iris rhizome, burdock and red clover, it is good for cleansing the liver, lymph system and the blood. The blue flag tastes quite bitter as a tea and I ended up making a tincture instead.
One of my friends in Kent used to make dandelion wine. Me, I feed them to the rabbits
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Mixed with blue iris rhizome, burdock and red clover, it is good for cleansing the liver:
I could do with a good liver cleanse
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I could do with a good liver cleanse
I take Milk Thistle daily and yet I could still do with a cleanse - I blame the cheese and the palinka! Need to tell friends to stop giving me both
Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:18 am
Just Joined

simplysafe is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you want willow when the Slovenes have the higher ground on basket making, chairs, tablets and everything else.

I have a huge willow bush on my land and the Slovenes keep it well cut. And I don't mind the berries they pick either disappearing into their willow baskets.

Can't begin to think of your reasoning behind growing willow in a pot. Hope you don't mind me say so.

Oh by the way, I have just come into this forum and so do excuse my ignorance on previous posts.

I had no idea you had covered all subjects expats. C new to this sort of thing so hope you will make me feel welcome, and so a very belated hi.

Carole
Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi, reading through a couple of your posts, I just have to ask whether this is for real or a wind up?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Wowwa. Just saying. Why would you think this was a wind up? How is it in Hungary. Free of the egyptian tolar, rates as follows.

Same as Slovenia before a euro.

SSay
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Yeah, to confirm. I got a willow bush, huge, which is marvelous for Slovenians who need their baskets for weaving.

How could my previous posts possibly be construed as a wind up. You all bored or something . You may apologise as and when Hungarian whatever your name is. P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.