Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Where do you stand if the UK left the EU?

Where do you stand if the UK left the EU?

Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:38 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do you stand if the UK left the EU?

Having had several emails voicing concerns about property ownership in Hungary should the UK leave the UK, I thought it best to add my reply here.

Not being particularly political nor fully conversant in the myriad of European legislation, this is only my personal opinion.

Even if the UK leaves the EU they will remain members of the EC and to the best of my knowledge, EC members along with EEA members have the same rights regards property purchases in Hungary as EU members do.
Now were Hungary to leave, which is extremely unlikely due to the financial mess they are in, that would of course have different consequences.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do you if the UK left the EU?

Hungary didn't join the EU until 2004, but foreign non-residents were able to buy property there long before that (as I did, in 2002). So foreign ownership of property isn't dependent upon EU membership.

Were either the UK or Hungary to leave the EU, it would make life more complicated for British residents: the fact that both countries are in the EU keeps the bureaucracy in check. Those of you who live there will probably say that it's bad enough as it is, but it could be even worse!

Incidentally, the ease with which foreigners were able to buy Hungarian property was what attracted me to Hungary. It certainly wouldn't have been my first choice otherwise, at that time.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you if the UK left the EU?

Thanks for that Watchpost, as I mentioned, politics isn't one of my strong points so bare with me:-)

If the UK leaves the EU and with the EC being absorbed by the EU, they therefore can not simply "downgrade" their involvement with the EU. Or, could they join the EEA? If neither, then would that mean UK buyers would be subjected to the same conditions as non EU foreigners?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do you stand if the UK left the EU?

In the event that the UK did leave the EU, I can't imagine it not remaining in the EEA.

I don't know whether EEA membership would make any difference though.

If UK buyers were subject to the same conditions as other non-EU foreigners, would that be a disaster? Those would presumably be the conditions under which I bought, before Hungary entered the EU. You had to obtain a permit, but it was just a formality, at least in my area.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:10 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Believe that used to be called Certificate of Legal residing, which would be just some paperwork, list is not exhaustive;

1. a work permit,
2. a contract of employment,
3. a document certifying occupancy in Hungary, and
4. a certificate on how the person will make a living until he receives his first salary (bank account statement, employer’s certificate that he will pay an advance to the person, etc.)
or,
5. a certificate on the character of the gainful activity (the articles of association),
6. the resolution on the court registration of the enterprise,
7. a document certifying occupancy in Hungary,
8. a certificate on the acquisition of the qualification necessary for filling the position,
9. a declaration, certificate on the (expected) yearly income,
10. a certificate of the amount of money at the person’s disposal in Hungary,
11. the simplified balance sheet of the previous year (for a firm already operating),
12. a certificate that the firm has no public debt (for a firm already operating),
13. if the firm has Hungarian employees: their employment contracts,
14. in case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Watchpost
In the event that the UK did leave the EU, I can't imagine it not remaining in the EEA.

I don't know whether EEA membership would make any difference though.

If UK buyers were subject to the same conditions as other non-EU foreigners, would that be a disaster? Those would presumably be the conditions under which I bought, before Hungary entered the EU. You had to obtain a permit, but it was just a formality, at least in my area.
Hi again Watchpost, currently, EEA members enjoy the same quick and easy process when buying property as buyers from the EU.

As you say, wouldn't be too much of a problem if they bought as a non EU buyer, simply a matter of requesting permission to purchase and providing proof of identity (which I presume is what you did?)

Hopefully this will put some peoples minds at rest and reassure them that they won't suddenly find themselves unable to buy or visit their holiday home :-)

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Dec 14th 2011 at 9:58 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

How would UK state pensions be affected? My understanding is that because we are in the EU we would receive inflationary increases but if we left I believe they would be frozen as happens when UK residents move to non-EU countries. I don't know what the impact would be still being part of the EC. I'm not due to retire for another 8 years but who knows what may happen then.

With regards to property my wife is a Hungarian national and still has her Hungarian passport so I don't think we would have a problem with ownership of property.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you check with the Dept. of Work & Pensions about what UK pensioners recieve when living in Hungary. I met a couple from Blackpool in town the other day and they were saying that we will get a lower pension here than we would in UK.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:24 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

The UK pension paid to people who have earned it in the UK, is payable at the same rate wherever one lives within the EU.

If you are outside the EU the pension sticks at the same level as on the date of retirement and never increases.

If you are in any EU country the UK pension increases each year exactly as it does within the UK. Over say 20 years of retirement this is a huge benefit.