Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

BRUMYAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

HI TO EVERYONE, WE ARE NEW ON HERE !!! WE HAVE JOINED TO FIND OUT FIRST HAND SOME QUESTIONS WE HAVE ABOUT LIVING IN HUNGARY, WE HAVE HAD A FEW SORT STAY WEEKENDS IN HUNGARY, OUR LAST VIST WAS ONLY 2 WEEKS AGO WERE WE STAYED IN A B/B 20 MILES NORTH-EAST FROM BUDAPEST, WE WAS SO IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY THE COUNTRY AS COME ON IN THE LAST 5 YEARS. WE ARE CONSIDERING MOVING THERE. OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS I WILL BE POSTING MANY QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE, SO I WOULD BE MOST GREATFUL IF YOU ALL WOULD BE SO KIND & LET US KNOW FIRST HAND (GOOD & BAD) THINGS ABOUT THE COUNTRY
MANY THANKS DARREN
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

hi welcome to the forum

any questions you have just ask as we all like to help new people. it is a lovely country but if you read most of the hungarian forum it may help you with some questions already
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

THANKS FOR SUCH A WARM WELCOME !! I AM READING NEW TOPICS EVERY DAY. ONE THING I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS ARE WE BEST TO LOOK ON THE WEB FOR PROPERTY OR ARE WE BEST TO WAIT FOR OUR NEXT TRIP AND TRY TO FING SOMETHING OURSELF. AS IV BEEN TOLD THAT MANY AGENTS ON THE WEB TRY PUTTING THE PRICE UP WHEN YOU CONTACT THEM FROM THE UK, ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE MOST WELCOME
THANKS DARREN
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

hi

when we started looking i spent a year on the web looking at each area and prices. i personaly found the local hungarian sites a lot better the the german ones.
once we had decided on the area i emailed the estate agents and lines up 20 viewings for the two weeks we were over here.
18 of them were ruled out very quickly 19 and 20 we viewed twice and before we went home we had bought a house.
so yes do a lot of work on the web first.

hope this helps
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

HI THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, WHAT AREAS OFFER THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY, ALSO WHAT ARE THE BAD AREAS THAT WE SHOULD AVOID,
THANKS DARREN
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darren and welcome to BE and the Hungarian forum
If you haven't done so already, you might like to visit the Welcome Inn for lots of useful information on using the site.
If you need any assistance, there are always moderators and concierges about who are more than happy to help, I am the concierge for the Hungarian forum and you can contact me here

When you say "bad areas" do you have an idea in general of whereabouts in Hungary you intend moving to?
There are a number of expats in and around Lake Balaton area (not literally in the lake, except when it's 30+ but there are also expats in most areas of Hungary as far and wide as Kecskemet, Szeged, Budapest, Eger and in the North.

I think you need to research and if possible, visit the different regions before deciding where to buy. Do you know what you are looking? Near a lake; in the countryside; mountains; in a holiday resort; in a town; new build; renevation project etc
If you can give us a bit more detail, I am sure folks will be more than willing to offer suggestions

Good luck with whatever you do an I hope you find the forums useful.
Rural
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

SORRY FOR NOT COMING ACROSS VERY CLEAR, ME AND THE WIFE BREED & SHOW DOGS. SO WE ARE LOOKING FOR A HOUSE AT LEAST 2 BEDROOM WITH AT LEST 12.000 metre GARDEN, WE DON,T MIND DOING MINOR WORK ON A PROPERTY BUT NOT TO MUCH !!. WE DON,T WANT TO LIVE IN THE CITY AS IT IS NOT SUITABLE WITH THE DOGS. WHEN I SAID IN A RECENT MESSAGE ABOUT BAD AREAS, I MENT AREAS TO KEEP AWAY FROM AS WE HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THERE ARE SOME NOT SO NICE AREAS !! BUT THAT MAYBE JUST PEOPLE HAVING A DIFFRENCE OF CHOICE. WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO FIND THE BEST AREAS FOR VALUE FOR MONEY ON PROPERTY. THE LAKE AREA DOES LOOK VERY NICE AND WE WOULD LOVE TO GIVE THE DOGS ARUN ALONG THE MILES OF SANDY BEACH, BUT WE DON,T MIND FINDING OTHER GOOD AREAS, SO PLEASE DO RECOMMEND ANY GOOD PLACES ALSO PLEASE LET US KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY AREAS TO KEEP AWAY FROM. ANY INFORMATION IS GREATLY RECIVED.
MANY THANKS DARREN
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:54 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darren, absolutely no need to apologise, I sometimes have great difficulty making myself understood Especially if it's in Hungarian

There are a couple of expats already in the Balaton area, who breed and show dogs.

I do know that a British run dog kennels had to close recently due to, from what I have been told, complaints by the neighbours, so I am thinking an end of village property or a village in which the houses aren't too close together (which is usually the case in Hungary).

With regards to "bad" areas, this is a difficult one for me as Hungarian "bad areas" usually translates to areas with a high Roma population and as I am pro Roma; my opinion is, unapologetically, biased. Moreso, seeing as I have just secured a visit to our village by a Roma Initiative foundation which is funded by an American philanthropist and we are hoping that it will be the first step towards building a recreational for the Roma.

That said, unless you have a real interest in or affinity for the Roma, it is probably best to avoid villages which have an extremely high population as otherwise you may feel a bit intimidated by their culture.
However, all of the expats I know, some living in villages with high Roma populations, have never experienced any problems, if you show them respect, the majority will respect you. If you have the time, read through some of my blog for the past year, you might find it interesting.

The East and North of Hungary has a far higher concentration of Roma and from what I have been told, it is more impoverished than the West. However, there are supposed to be quite stunning areas around Eger though I personally have not been before. Then you have the flatter areas of the South or the "Southern Plains" which we avoided due to the high ragweed pollen levels and of course, it's flat so not our cup of tea.
Around Pecs is nice, though of course further from the airport and some of the villages can feel a bit isolated, if you have time to look at my blog, there is a link on the right handside to an eco blog which is written by a couple who live near Pecs.

In the Balaton region, if you don't mind being 15-20 minutes drive from the lake (which doesn't have long stretches of sandy beach, the sandy parts are usually classes as "strands" and off limit to dogs, though it does have miles of lakeside paths and grassy banks) you can pick up village properties for as little as 12,000 euro (requiring some modernisation etc) up to 40-50,000 euro (ready to move into). However, if you meant that you need 12,000 sqm of land (about 3 acres) you will have to buy in a rural village as the typical Hungarian property has between 1-3,000 sqm of land. I know of a couple that have adjacent fields for sale which would bring the land close to this size. Apart from this, the only properties I have have seen with that amount of land, tend to be in the South and are usually Tanyas (farmhouses) and thus have more land.

I hope this helps a bit and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

hi

rural is quite right about the beaches or strands and most you have to pay to use and bathe in the lake. and no dogs allowed. other bits of the lake dont give big runs for dogs and dogs are banned from 1st may till the end of september, but you can walk dogs on a leash.

you would do better as rural said to get a trpical hungarian property which has more land and give your dogs a run in the country. but one word of warning.

during the shooting season dont take the dogs out as you never know what they might shoot. also in big farming areas they do put poison down for foxes in the late summer but our council do warn us so people keep their pets in for a few weeks.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:10 am
Account Closed

THANKS ALOT FOR THIS INFORMATION. THIS IS ONE THING THAT NO ONE AS TOLD US ABOUT, IS THERE A SET TIME OF YEAR THE SHOOTING TAKES PLACE ALSO HOW LONG DOES IT LAST FOR ?? DOES IT ONLY TAKE PLACE IN SET AREAS OR IS IT ACROSS THE WHOLE OF HUNGARY?? ANY MORE INFORMATION ON THIS MOST WELCOME. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD AND WHAT IVE SEEN ON HERE I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR US TO BUY A PROPERTY JUST OUTSIDE A VALLAGE WERE WE WOULD BE WITHIN A SORT DISTANCE OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE BUT ALSO HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE FOR OUR DOGS, THIS WAY WE WOULD NOT BE UPSETTING ANYONE WITH THE DOGS. ME AND THE WIFE THEN CAN HAVE A SORT WALK OR DRIVE INTO THE VILLAGE TO SEE LOCALS FOR FRIENDSHIP AND A COFFEE. ME AND THE WIFE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SPEEK HUGARIAN SO WE MUST KEEP WELL INTOUCH WITH THE LOCALS. AS WE ARE MOVING INTO THERE COUNTRY SO WE WOULD MAKE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO BE PART OF THERE OF THERE WAY OF LIFE. EVERYDAY I AM CLICKING ONTO NEW THREADS ON HERE AND LEARNING SO MUCH THAT WE DID NOT KNOW.
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP
DARREN
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:39 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Darren, I would say in a village rather than an isolated property, it is difficult enough to integrate (especially with the language) and if you are "out of the village" you are likely to struggle. End of village or end of street properties would likely suffice as they tend to have more land. Of course, if you are going for the Tanya option, you will find many of these, due to their original use, are not set within villages.
In the more rural villages, most houses have dogs, so as long as they are not too noisy, most villagers wont mind.

How much land is it that you are looking for?
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:53 am
Account Closed

I SAID IN ONE OF MY NOTES THAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR 12.000 meters, THIS IS A MISTAKE AS WE ARE LOOKING TO GET A GARDEN SIZE OF min 1.200 meter, IM SO SORRY FOR THE CONFUSSION.
THANKS DARREN
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

hi

most village houses have more than 1.200 sqm of land and most older ones have several out buildings.

going back to the sooting, yes they do have a season but i dont have any info on when it is. all i know is when we drove past three deer that had been shot i had to look the way and then get my tissues out. i am sure it was late autumn.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Darren, as Hotpot said and as I mentioned before, most village houses have large plots, usually in excess of 2,000 sqm so you won't have any problems there.

Naturally, you will have to find somewhere that doesn't have neighbours directly adjacent or you may have problems. What type of dogs do you breed?

With regards to shooting, you should of course be aware of it but I think the problem is more with stray dogs, so long as your dogs aren't left to run free, I wouldn't worry. If a hunter sees a dog, they won't shoot on sight, they will check to see whether there is an owner nearby.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

HI EVERYONE THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND ADDVICE ON THIS MATTER. IT IS MOST HELPFULL. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THE HUNTING SEASON e.g HOW LONG IT LASTS e.t.c THE DOG I SHOW ARE DOGUE DE BORDEAUX (french mastiff) THESE ARE BIG STRONG DOGS 60-85k.g, HOW EASY IS IT TO GET SKY SPORTS IN HUNGARY ?? AS I LOVE WATCHING MY FOOTBALL
THANKS DARREN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.