Vines...

Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:48 am
Just Joined

joolesmck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vines...

Hi everyone - well I finally took the plunge and bought a little winehouse. Purely as a bolthole/holiday home. (In Koroshegy - a few Kilometers from the Lake Balaton) So so happy with it...beautiful. Inherited of course is a clutch of vines! - And while it is lovely to think of owning a "vineyard" (1500sqm) - It will be sad to see them unused. ( I can prune and 'potter' while there) Is there a co-op or something that would be interested in using the grapes, working the vines? - not for any financial gain for me - but to see they don't go to waste?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vines...

I am not in your area - but you are unlikely to find a 'co-op' to use the grapes. The co-ops that reformed after the change of system are typically large farming enterprises. Some of the large commercial wine cellars rent vineyards and buy in harvested grapes at a kg. price based on quality and sugar content but 1500sqm would be too small to be economical for them. If you have some well tended vineyards around yours I would suggest you seek out the owners to see if they want to take over your vineyard for a few bottles of wine a year, or if there are any other vineyards locally with absentee landlords that have tended vineyards it would be worth finding out who maintains their plots.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Peter - I thought as much - Next stop- The University that is YOUTUBE!! ha ha bought the segateurs already!
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joolesmck
Hi Peter - I thought as much - Next stop- The University that is YOUTUBE!! ha ha bought the segateurs already!
OK by sounds of Just Starting Out my Vines are too Old Know as over years the Yield is Dropping and I believe they are over 30 years Old, November after cut Back and every other year placing Cow Manure around them dig Trench through soil to cover over Manure that gives drainage Channel allowing sum standing water into Vines all so, Spring again Pruning Tying Back ect, Spraying through there growing Time and Yes Crop Dusting to get rid of Nasty Bugs But the many others one Frost in early Spring Killing of any Flowering Buds that's Bad, but I had problems when say July when Fruiting Vines ,Baggers Stelling Lower Grapes probably one other reason to get Rid of as you are aware that Badgers carry TB so be safe to remove, my friend whom Had over 2,500 Vines as Given Up because of Bagger Problems.
So one place to look at www.Agroinform.hu use google type in suppliers of Grape Vines in Hungary it's there and all so Sale of new Vines around say 250hf db digger47
Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joolesmck
The biggest problem for the absentee landlord with vines is the spraying. At various times through the summer vines will need spraying (Bordeaux mixture or equivalent) to prevent mildew. Without this spraying at the right time there will be no crop! The when to spray is down to local climate conditions and a week late can mean the loss of the whole crop. This is why it would be important to have someone local to 'share farm' the vines.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The biggest problem for the absentee landlord with vines is the spraying. At various times through the summer vines will need spraying (Bordeaux mixture or equivalent) to prevent mildew. Without this spraying at the right time there will be no crop! The when to spray is down to local climate conditions and a week late can mean the loss of the whole crop. This is why it would be important to have someone local to 'share farm' the vines.
Peter yes Crop share care my Friend normally do's a lot for myself but now as giving up growing Vines to do more for himself and as now taken work on as Tram driver in B/Pest he as little time to hand so this year I will be doing more, with his years of experience and guidance Keeping Them Dam Bugs Away, But I am Tea Total, but I enjoy the working and Friendship is better than a Glass of Wine digger47
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:52 am
Just Joined

This is exactly what I was thinking - a 'share' system with other local growers: It's a start! Thank you so much everyone.