Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

Old Feb 1st 2018, 8:42 pm
Mud
Just Joined

Mud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies and which are the best of them in terms of acting honourably? Please provide URLs.

Is Selogerhongrie any good? My Chrome browser states that it is dangerous, although before this warning occurred I had viewed it for a few months.

Are all the best estate agencies that deal in Hungarian property actually Hungarian or are there some that are part of a worldwide group that are good?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which are the 20 biggest Hungarian estate agencies?

I have heard too many stories about estate agents to have a good opinion of any of them. You have to remember that Hungary does not have the consumer protection laws or the trades description regulations that the UK enjoys and the Hungarian legal system is very unfriendly when it comes to making any claims (for anything!)

Estate agents work first for themselves, secondly for the seller and the buyer is the cash cow so it is very much a case of buyer beware, not only for the agent but for the property as well.

Also when you buy a property do not expect the solicitor (or anyone else) to do the searches that are needed before a property is purchased. Searches are down to the purchaser to either do or find someone to do for them. The most solicitors do is to ensure that the title as defined in Land Office is correct and the property is not mortgaged. Loans against the property should be covered off by a statement in the contract from the seller to the effect that the property has no encumbrances. If a motorway is planned for the bottom of the garden then no one is going to find out on behalf of the buyer as part of the routine work, that's down to the buyer to ascertain.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought through OTP ingatlanpont in Budapest, no problems at all. We also dealt with another small Agent, can't remember the name, seemed ok just didn't manage to find us the right property. Having said that I think all estate agents are nefarious, wherever they are!
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought my apartment in 2014 from Home & People. Never had a problem with them and they were/are a big enough company to advertise on buses, etc. I did have my HU GF at my side though, and that can make a big difference in terms of how you are treated. So as always, I would suggest you take a Hungarian along with you when dealing with estate agents and viewing properties. Helpers may be a good place to start if you know no Hungarians. There fees are reasonable.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
Bought my apartment in 2014 from Home & People. Never had a problem with them and they were/are a big enough company to advertise on buses, etc. I did have my HU GF at my side though, and that can make a big difference in terms of how you are treated. So as always, I would suggest you take a Hungarian along with you when dealing with estate agents and viewing properties. Helpers may be a good place to start if you know no Hungarians. There fees are reasonable.
Second that re Helpers. They found us a super apartment, only reason we didn't buy was because it was way up in the Buda hills & a bit far out for us.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Crooks. And my sister-in-law is an estate agent!!!!

Some of the prices in Pest Megye even are mental for what you get even compared to a few years ago. Budapest is just silly. It's just not reasonable value for money any more when you compare the actual properties to the price being asked.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:40 pm
Mud
Just Joined

In the event of it being impossible to create a list of totally honourable Hungarian estate agencies could there be a list created of the least dishonourable beginning with the least dishonourable one of all?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mud
In the event of it being impossible to create a list of totally honourable Hungarian estate agencies could there be a list created of the least dishonourable beginning with the least dishonourable one of all?
I think your best approach is to go in with your eyes open and your wallet shut !!

Estate agents will typically tell you what you want to hear !! (rather than what you should be told!)

Decide what you want and where you want it then drive around looking for 'elado' signs. Use the internet to compare prices and ask locally (take a Hungarian with you) so that you know what to expect before you even go near an estate agent.

Consider getting a structural survey before signing contracts. The construction methods here are very different to that of the UK and some of the older properties, especially those built of adobe bricks, can look very good when freshly decorated but if they are not done with due consideration to the construction type they can cost a fortune down the line.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I think your best approach is to go in with your eyes open and your wallet shut !!

Estate agents will typically tell you what you want to hear !! (rather than what you should be told!)

Decide what you want and where you want it then drive around looking for 'elado' signs. Use the internet to compare prices and ask locally (take a Hungarian with you) so that you know what to expect before you even go near an estate agent.

Consider getting a structural survey before signing contracts. The construction methods here are very different to that of the UK and some of the older properties, especially those built of adobe bricks, can look very good when freshly decorated but if they are not done with due consideration to the construction type they can cost a fortune down the line.

Having a Hungarian there is the best advice. Indeed I just sent my wife in alone and the difference can amazing!
Old Feb 5th 2018, 2:32 pm
Mud
Just Joined

If I like a house such that I will buy it if the furniture is included in the price can I get that clause put into the sale contract or is this so rarely done that folk are not familiar with the practice, the contract is completely standard and cannot be altered? Has anyone got a contract altered to include anything extra in the negotiated price. If so, has it worked with no problems? What is the remedy for non compliance with this part of the contract?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mud
If I like a house such that I will buy it if the furniture is included in the price can I get that clause put into the sale contract or is this so rarely done that folk are not familiar with the practice, the contract is completely standard and cannot be altered? Has anyone got a contract altered to include anything extra in the negotiated price. If so, has it worked with no problems? What is the remedy for non compliance with this part of the contract?
We negotiated with the seller to leave various items, with the selling price reflecting this & our lawyer inserted the necessary clause & specification within the contract. I can't really comment on non compliance generally except to say that on completion / handover day we checked everything out - before transferring the money.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this to be based on price and word of mouth depending on the circumstances/agreement/contract.

In other words: You would want to put furniture into a contract because if you have paid its value price of 1 million huf (around 3,000 gbp) for example in the sale price (so the furniture will be yours) and then someone does not honour that agreement......

On the other hand: I had my front door replaced whereby the owner charged me for the front door in the sale price but then told me, lawyer and witnesses he would fit the door himself (he was a builder); which he honoured.

I was also promised by verbal contract a clean out of old furniture (i.e. bath, bed, cupboards, etc) and rubbish, which the owner half-did (he cut corners to save money). I even did some of the work myself (thinking: If you need a job doing properly, do it yourself). No fuss was made about the cutting of corners, and I would buy another property off the same owner again, but I would not ask him to help with any clean up/rubbish disposal.

The cutting of corners was things like putting big rubbish into the domestic dustbins around the housing estates and them saying "we are busy this week", meaning "but we will be available when you are in the UK"

As always, you learn by experience and therefore have to put certain Hungarian ways down to experience too. You also have to be in Hungary, if possible, to watch over any property sale, renovation projects, etc. Or get a trustworthy Hungarian to be your project manager, eyes and ears.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mud
A lot of the time, if the furniture is 30 -40 years old and the house is unoccupied (i.e. it was the parents or something) then the seller will usually be happy to leave the stuff because it will be impossible to sell and it will cost them to have it cleared. On the other hand if you declare an interest in some items then you will be amazed at how expensive it is !!

There are rules about what should be left e.g. plugs and light switches should be left and electric wires must not be left bare. In older houses there are not often fitted kitchens so don't expect much left there (and that includes the sink). It is best to get listed either in the contract of separately what will be left/taken but if it is not followed forget about claiming because the legal system is too cumbersome to cope and what goes for a small claims court isn't worth a light.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Szeged
I found this to be based on price and word of mouth depending on the circumstances/agreement/contract.

In other words: You would want to put furniture into a contract because if you have paid its value price of 1 million huf (around 3,000 gbp) for example in the sale price (so the furniture will be yours) and then someone does not honour that agreement......

On the other hand: I had my front door replaced whereby the owner charged me for the front door in the sale price but then told me, lawyer and witnesses he would fit the door himself (he was a builder); which he honoured.

I was also promised by verbal contract a clean out of old furniture (i.e. bath, bed, cupboards, etc) and rubbish, which the owner half-did (he cut corners to save money). I even did some of the work myself (thinking: If you need a job doing properly, do it yourself). No fuss was made about the cutting of corners, and I would buy another property off the same owner again, but I would not ask him to help with any clean up/rubbish disposal.

The cutting of corners was things like putting big rubbish into the domestic dustbins around the housing estates and them saying "we are busy this week", meaning "but we will be available when you are in the UK"

As always, you learn by experience and therefore have to put certain Hungarian ways down to experience too. You also have to be in Hungary, if possible, to watch over any property sale, renovation projects, etc. Or get a trustworthy Hungarian to be your project manager, eyes and ears.
You never, ever, anywhere, do anything by "verbal contract".
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You never, ever, anywhere, do anything by "verbal contract".
absolutely right there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.