Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Viewing properties

Viewing properties

Old Nov 25th 2019, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Viewing properties

I think we have found our house. It was the one pulled off Ingatlan. Roof needs updating and some work done to match our needs. More information later.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I think we have found our house. It was the one pulled off Ingatlan. Roof needs updating and some work done to match our needs. More information later.
Well done, fingers crossed for you!
Old Nov 26th 2019, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Sold our apartment within 2 weeks, lucky as Budapest market is showing signs of slowing. Found one but pulled out as sellers mucking about. Found a new one this morning - so well pleased.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Pulled out because of drainage and flood risk issues. Viewed another property today which is next door to another property I made enquiries about. Hopefully will make decision end of tomorrow. No updating or renovation required!
Old Nov 29th 2019, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pulled out because of drainage and flood risk issues. Viewed another property today which is next door to another property I made enquiries about. Hopefully will make decision end of tomorrow. No updating or renovation required!
With regards to the property I mentioned in earlier post regarding drainage and flood risk issues I have repeatedly asked for evidence from local searches, similar to UK, but the only evidence I have been given was verbal which I do not accept as being adequate. Luckily we have local contacts and they know the history of the area so until I receive official evidence I'm not pursuing this property.

Just wanted to add that two of the properties I viewed had exterior insulation added and if I pursue the one I like I hope the owner has documentation so I know exactly what has been fitted! I'm thinking fire safety ....

The other property I viewed is as mentioned above next door to a property I was tipped off about. Via sister-in-law her estate agent friend took me to the "other" property. Funny thing is earlier in the morning myself and a friend went for a walk around the area and he made enquiries with a neighbour about the property I had been tipped off about. It was this neighbour's property which I viewed and she had not mentioned to my friend her house was for sale or she was thinking about selling it. I am not sure if the estate agent made enquiries with this same neighbour about the next door property's owners and they must have got into a conversation about selling her house. I liked this property and felt I would be comfortable but would have preferred my wife to have seen it too but she was in the UK looking after our dog! Absolutely no work or improvements needed for this property but it's above my cash limit and I do want to retain some cash for my UK house for any contingencies which may arise between now and the UK house being sold.

I have asked my wife to ask her sister to ask the estate agent friend why I didn't view the other property. As this property is just around the corner where my friend lives he had been in there many times and also done a few carpentry jobs for the owners so he knew the layout of the property and mentioned he thought it would be a perfect fit for us.

In total I viewed three properties. There were supposed to be six to view but I decided to ignore some of them due to the location, i.e. for one of them nice and quiet in the autumn/winter but very busy in the spring/summer due to it's proximity to a lake! Another property I viewed was really nice but it was alot bigger than the 120 sq.m. as per Ingatlan website!!! Even worse was the really tiny kitchen with an inaccessible window which the current owners open using an extended man made handle!!! This was the most expensive property I viewed and it was a big let down to see that in the kitchen. My friend who came to view the property with me was surprised one of the owners used to work with his mother!

Anyway, the latest is that I have asked my wife if her sister could view the property I like and also I have asked my friend if he could take some photos and also measure the rooms. This property is five minutes walk to her parents and another three minutes to her sister's so as well as being just around the corner from our friends it seems to be the ideal location. The plot is small which I'm not bothered about because my UK property garden is not that big either although this Hungarian property has a bigger grassed area!

Last edited by FenTiger; Nov 29th 2019 at 10:09 am.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
One door is the entrance to the house, one door goes into the bathroom, one door goes to a sleeping room off to the left and the final door goes off to the right into another room that now houses the kitchen. Everyone one of those doors except the bathroom one is almost directly in the center of the wall.
Atleast you have multiple escape routes if you need to make a quick exit.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Sister-in-law viewed the property last week. She took 51 photos, which I was relieved about because I couldn't remember whether there was a larder or washing machine connection. Neither could I remember whether there was an outbuilding in garden. I certainly remember the wishing well and a bath for the current owners duck or was it a goose! The wife has fallen in love with it. The sister-in-law in law likes it too so we're waiting to hear from the owner if she is going ahead to sell. Probably know the answer in another week.
All this means speeding up reducing the junk in the UK garage and loft. Third bedroom decorating was completed last Friday and I've done zilch since. Partly due to trying to shake off an ongoing cold and now a hat-trick of ear infections on left side! I seemed to doing better in Hungary but back in UK going backwards a bit!
Old Dec 29th 2019, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

At this point in time we are still waiting to hear if the owner of a house we are interested in wants to sell. Unsure whether to go forward with this property because of unusual layout on ground floor but I've seen worse! I honestly think the ground floor would work for us. It's the wife who is unsure and her preference is a single storey property which has been difficult to find. The most frustrating thing is I didn't take photos when I viewed the property because it was not on my list when I was in Hungary last month but as mentioned above sister-in-law took 51 photos. Quite a few I would have preferred them to be in landscape mode but it seems Hungarians prefer portrait mode! As mentioned in an earlier post there was a single storey property but it was at the top of a hill, so despite being one of those chocolate box properties you might drool over it didn't appeal to my wife! Looks like it might be much later in 2020 when we move over. House in UK not yet on market due to wanting to get rid of as much junk as possible before the estate agent comes to take photos. PS - my wife has already boxed up some of her stuff! It's stuff I'd rather she got rid of as she hasn't had a peep at it for years! (Biting my lip!).
Old Dec 29th 2019, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

At this point in time we are still waiting to hear if the owner of a house we are interested in wants to sell. Unsure whether to go forward with this property because of unusual layout on ground floor but I've seen worse! I honestly think the ground floor would work for us. It's the wife who is unsure and her preference is a single storey property which has been difficult to find. The most frustrating thing is I didn't take photos when I viewed the property because it was not on my list when I was in Hungary last month but as mentioned above sister-in-law took 51 photos. Quite a few I would have preferred them to be in landscape mode but it seems Hungarians prefer portrait mode! As mentioned in an earlier post there was a single storey property but it was at the top of a hill, so despite being one of those chocolate box properties you might drool over it didn't appeal to my wife! Looks like it might be much later in 2020 when we move over. House in UK not yet on market due to wanting to get rid of as much junk as possible before the estate agent comes to take photos. PS - my wife has already boxed up some of her stuff! It's stuff I'd rather she got rid of as she hasn't had a peep at it for years! (Biting my lip!).
Have you discussed price at all?

Pity the UK doesn't have lomtalanítás (throw out day). We have just taken full advantage of the latest one, preparatory to moving - piled high on the pavement - all gone by 7 am the next morning, marvellous!
Old Dec 29th 2019, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Have you discussed price at all?

Pity the UK doesn't have lomtalanítás (throw out day). We have just taken full advantage of the latest one, preparatory to moving - piled high on the pavement - all gone by 7 am the next morning, marvellous!
We are aware how much she wants to sell for and she mentioned she wanted to discuss with her family first. I personally think the price is too high because there is another property, more bedrooms, 2 outbuildings, double garage, very large garden, for few thousand pounds more but in long term too much to look after. The one I'm interested in is a better fit but as much in comparison to the other one too expensive. The price difference is £6k between smaller house/plot compared to larger house/plot.

Our local council have started taking other items, small electrical appliances, batteries (not car batteries). It's no problem leaving larger appliances at front of property because gypsies drive around looking for this kind of stuff. They actually took an old dishwasher from near our front door one morning. Saved me phoning the council asking them to take it away. There would have been a small fee.

Last edited by FenTiger; Dec 29th 2019 at 8:31 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 8:27 am
Account Closed

We are aware how much she wants to sell for and she mentioned she wanted to discuss with her family first. I personally think the price is too high because there is another property, more bedrooms, 2 outbuildings, double garage, very large garden, for few thousand pounds more but in long term too much to look after. The one I'm interested in is a better fit but as much in comparison to the other one too expensive. The price difference is £6k between smaller house/plot compared to larger house/plot.
And after discussion with the family the price will go up!
Old Dec 30th 2019, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

And after discussion with the family the price will go up!
That would be a mistake because it's only 1.5 bedrooms, single garage, 500m2 plot. The other having 3 bedrooms, double garage, sun room, 2 outbuildings(one of them with two saunas and laundry) both with toilet/shower, 2,225m2 plot. As much as I'm tempted to go for the larger property in long term would be too big to look after but I do like a challenge. It would keep me fit and active. Unfortunately we are in the know, via family friend of someone who is in the rendorszeg, one side of the neighbours are a nuisance! With my UK history would be too stressful. It's superb though!!! Damn!

the smaller property's owner's husband died this year so am trying to be respectful and not take advantage of the widow's situation.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 9:37 am
Account Closed

the smaller property's owner's husband died this year so am trying to be respectful and not take advantage of the widow's situation.
Quite right too - but don't be toooooo naive. We very nearly got taken by a Widow who turned out to be a very canny operator. Only instinct saved the day.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Quite right too - but don't be toooooo naive. We very nearly got taken by a Widow who turned out to be a very canny operator. Only instinct saved the day.
I understand where you are coming from. It can also happen to someone selling, i.e. the buyers(one of them worked for Inland Revenue and they were cash buyers!) of my previous UK property did not transfer the funds until 3pm on the day we completed contracts! The funds for the purchase of my current UK property went through at 4:55pm! The removal guys were waiting outside my current property from 1pm had said if the funds don't go through before 5pm they were going home with all our house contents. Luckily the previous owner worked just around the corner so he was round here like a shot. We asked the removal guys to lump the heavy stuff upstairs and leave the rest in the lounge!

At the end of the day the less I pay the more in my pocket!
Old Dec 30th 2019, 10:31 am
Account Closed

I understand where you are coming from. It can also happen to someone selling, i.e. the buyers(one of them worked for Inland Revenue and they were cash buyers!) of my previous UK property did not transfer the funds until 3pm on the day we completed contracts! The funds for the purchase of my current UK property went through at 4:55pm! The removal guys were waiting outside my current property from 1pm had said if the funds don't go through before 5pm they were going home with all our house contents. Luckily the previous owner worked just around the corner so he was round here like a shot. We asked the removal guys to lump the heavy stuff upstairs and leave the rest in the lounge!

At the end of the day the less I pay the more in my pocket!
It's never easy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.