Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK vehicle registration in Hungary & tax calculator

UK vehicle registration in Hungary & tax calculator

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: UK vehicle registration in Hungary & tax calculator

Originally Posted by duztee
All the documentation was there and correct, the only problem is that nagykoros council's steam driven computer is not up to date, and the stoker they employ to feed it couldn't simple use the paperwork the Test Centre had supplied to update it herself. That is not her job.

Thanks Richard, chuck some petrol on me when you've finished rubbing the salt in
Just stating factual information that may help others avoid your unfortunate experience for a few quid
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardmc
Just stating factual information that may help others avoid your unfortunate experience for a few quid
Yes I totally agree!
Even with everything correct the Hungarian bureaucratic system can still give rise to problems, this is where a local garage with experience of the system can work around any problems.

The only advantage to doing it personally is that IF it all goes to plan then the whole process COULD be completed in 4 or 5 hours.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Well after another day and 4 visits to the local council office who have made dozens of calls to the Budapest office, it seems my car now has the status of Victor Navorski! (The Terminal staring Tom Hanks)

The Hungarian system has imported it so it is no longer English, but the same Hungarian system cannot register it, so it is stuck being neither one or the other.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The Saga continues.
But at least I now know the problem.

Every vehicle made is given a VIN number which is stamped into the chassis, this is always 17 digits and encodes all the details of maker, engine, type, seating and a host of other information.

What I didn't know until this week that actually only 16 digits give this information, digit number 9 in the centre is a product of a mathematical equation of the other 16 and is used to check if the VIN is genuine or fake.

Mine is flagging up as a fake! even though it is obviously original and genuine.
So I am now waiting for the office to receive an answer from Mazda in Japan.

So my apologies to the Hungarian system, it is obviously more thorough than the English one which did the initial registration without checking it.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well in the end it took 8 days to get a reply from Mazda in Japan.
but finally I can register the car and get my number plate, the cost to register it was a total of 21,085 ft
So added to the cost of testing and importing the all up cost was 65,075 forint. (around £185 depending on exchange rates.)
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, glad you got there in the end.

Another calculator:

This one includes motorbikes
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I understand that from July you can no longer re register a right hand drive car in Hungary. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

frank wiseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Got this message this morning from Balaton Brits
Bit of bad news.
One of our members took his car to the garage opposite Lidl in Keszthely to arrange for re-registration.
This garage has been popular over the past twelve months for carrying out this service.
It now appears, according to the garage, that a change in the law in July prohibits re-registration of any car with RIGHT HAND DRIVE i.e. British.
Any car done before this date is acceptable.
I have no reason to dispute the comments of the garage owner, but will make further enquiries.
Please contact me or Brian if you have any info. regarding this matter.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Phew, glad I got mine done in June
Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not funny. this needs to be confirmed with proper evidence and source!
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave1982
Not funny. this needs to be confirmed with proper evidence and source!
No I don't think it's funny either. I have asked around and as soon as I have any further information I will update you. If it is true it would be the most ridiculous law and I cannot see who it would benefit.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

It was being discussed mainly, I believe, due to the number of RHD cars being registered after the tax changes in January. This was one of the points being discussed along with various others vehicle related regulations. However, I thought it had been thrown out as it would effectively affect the "free flow of goods" but then again, this is Hungary!

Will see what I can find out as I dont see the garage making false claims about this. Unless he didn't like a particular Brit
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

No reason to suspect garage is only repeating what they have been told. However firstly Poland have brought in such a law apparently but this is against EU rules.
I have contacted solvit today and they will reply in 7 days. This has been under the freedom of movement of goods & services, the freedom of movement of individuals and the pre-existing (more honoured in the breach) laws of having to register in the new country if your car has been there for 180 consecutive days.

When the Spanish passed a law to make all foreign boat owners who were moored in Spanish waters to change to Spanish registration which was against the rules solvit had the law repealed in 10 days!!!

So all is not lost but it could have to go up the EU legal chain if the Hungarians are intransigent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.