Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK vehicle registration in Hungary & tax calculator

UK vehicle registration in Hungary & tax calculator

Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough
Default UK vehicle registration in Hungary & tax calculator

Just thought I would let you all know how this works as we had no idea how much was involved when we started the process. It might help others or put them off completely.

We have an 8 year old transit and a 9 year old vauxhall astra. We love both the vehicles and we decided to keep them. Now the fun started.

The transit was fairly straight forward when we finally found a garage to do it. They were brilliant, and local, which was a bonus. The transit needed to be taken to Kaposvar for a Hungarian MOT. The garage checked it first then took the van to Kaposvar in the morning and we got it back in the afternoon with the MOT in place.

Next I had to call the ID/Vehicle licencing Office in Fonyod (we live in Balatonfenyves) to get an appointment to get the van papers sorted and get a licence plate. When I had the appointment, I called our insurance lady to arrange insurance for the van for the day we had to go to the Office. We just showed up, presented all the papers (original registration document, plates, Hungarian MOT, Hungarian insurance, Steve's registration card, passport and address card). We were given 3 post office cheques to pay (approximately 21000Fts) then went back and got the Hungarian Registration Document, licence plates and sticker for the windscreen. Done and dusted.
As it is a commercial vehicle, we didn't have to pay any registration fee (AKA import duty) at customs. Not the case with the car...

Car works the same way except for registration fee, which you have to pay. They work this out by looking at the age of the car and the condition of the engine (which you only get to know once the Hungarian MOT is done). We had to pay 240 000 Fts and the usual - MOT 40 000Fts, plates and documents 21 000Fts. Unfortunately after paying the post office cheques we were told they couldn't give us the plates there and then because the name vauxhall is not int heir computer base. They had to update their system but it was only the head office being able to do that. We were there on Wednesday afternoon and they said it would be a couple of days, so really hoping it will be done early next week.

By the way, apparently you cannot sell right hand drive vehicles over here. You can only bring them into the country for your own use and then sell them as spares. They only let people who OWNED the cars abroad keep them because of relocation.

Hope this helps

Ria
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Hungarian plate for your British vehicle

Don't you find the poor visibility a problem with using the right hand drive Transit?
I have a Vauxhall Combo van which I took with me to France, Germany and Austria. It was not too bad in France but in Germany they seem to go in for slip roads when doing right hand turns onto a main road. The only way I could see what was coming was to take them wide and do a much tighter turn up to the junction. I'm thinking of getting a long wheelbase Transit when I actually move abroad but I will probably look for a minibus so that I have side windows.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

forget the PM

Thanks for this Ria, I'm sure lots of users will find it very useful - much appreciated.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Steve says he gets by. In the future he might have a window fitted on the sliding door.

If you bring in a minibus, you will have a fair bit of import duty to pay, just something to think about.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do camper vans have a different classification?

Hi, I have a friend who wants to bring their camper van when they move here.

Does Hungary distinguish between a camper van and a domestic vehicle as the UK and Ireland do?

If so, does anyone have a link to information on the registration fees? Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2011, 6:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Default Re: Do camper vans have a different classification?

Has anybody came across info on this as I am also considering it depending on the cost
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think this will make them cheaper to register? If so - I want one too
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:53 am
I bite my thumb at thee

It was/is in the UK and Ireland. They have a similar classification for commercial vehicles here but nobody seems to know whether it's the same for campervans?
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 3:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Found the answer to my own question

No, motorhomes are classed the same as cars.

Registration tax can be calculated here
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Vehicle Registration Thread

I have seen a couple of emails form other sources relating to the registration of UK cars in Hungary. Once an expensive bureaucratic nightmare, now apprently cheaper and easier. Please tell me its true
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Car Registration...is it true?

For those of you who do not know but the cost of registering your car in Hungary has reduced by at least 50%.
This is taken from the Balaton Brits email posting that is being referred to with a local connection:

"We have now registered ours on Hungarian plates with help from Robbie at the old Skoda dealership garage opposite Interspar, Keszthely.

It was a painless experience as all we did was take the car to him, leave him with the paperwork required and the money.

He then changed the headlights and did the MOT and all the running around to have the registration done. He also organised the first 3 months insurance.

Once all documentation, plates etc were completed he then kindly brought the car back to us at home. It did take a little longer than it should have done due to a hold up for receiving the plates at the garage but as he dealt with all the inconvenience and running around we would strongly recommend him to any of you who are also contemplating importing your vehicles."
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this as I still want to get my small Vauxhall van re-registered. I wonder if the dealer in question speaks English?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Thanks for this as I still want to get my small Vauxhall van re-registered. I wonder if the dealer in question speaks English?
He does, another comment was as follows:
"I have to report similar excellent experience with this guy. He knows his stuff (I have several cars); works cost efficiently and delivers on time. I really appreciate being able to discuss with him in English. He is good and probably because he knows how to be modest."
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

steve270468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody
How much does it cost to register a car now, I know this propably still varies from car to car but what cars have you registered and how much did it cost.
cheers
Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:29 am
I bite my thumb at thee

There is a link which I posted, to a tax calculator, on another thread. This enables you to calculate the amount of tax you will have to pay. For anything over a 1.6l it is still expensive though more affordable.

Commercial vehicles are exempt from the tax and there is a thread on here telling you the process of registering them (by Ria I think).

I'll see if I can find the link and merge the two threads if appropriate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.