UK in Hungary

Old Dec 16th 2018, 11:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK in Hungary

Pilis, all I can find is -

Applicants aged 60 or over, those of diminished capacity, and persons holding a Hungarian language diploma (from a Hungarian institution) may be exempted the constitutional studies requirement.
Doesn't really help.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 11:50 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Pilis, all I can find is -

Doesn't really help.
Thanks - I'll be over 60 so it helps a lot
Old Dec 16th 2018, 5:07 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
Depends what you mean by retire

I'm 55. Could draw my company pension if I wanted but deferring it. I guess real retirement will be marked by me moving to Hungary and that's pencilled in for 2023. Ie I'll be over 60, I think that means I won't have a language requirement on any eventual citizenship application? 3 years permanent residence then a fairly simple process with a Hungarian wife? (I'm hoping!)
Not much help at the moment but I remember reading somewhere that over 60 are exempt from the language test for citizenship. Or at least 2 or 3 years back that was the case. If no one finds the answer before Mid January, I will ask the question when I go to the Foreigners Office in Kaposvar.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

An American friend of ours (formerly married to a Hungarian but divorced since several years) was made a citizen and got a Hungarian passport after going to a special language school in Bp for 3 months and getting a paper from them re her knowledge of the language. But she also had to show a Hungrian address.
We accompanied her to the citizenship ceremony with the Mayor of Hévíz, she was around 55 at that time ...
Old Dec 16th 2018, 5:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfi
An American friend of ours (formerly married to a Hungarian but divorced since several years) was made a citizen and got a Hungarian passport after going to a special language school in Bp for 3 months and getting a paper from them re her knowledge of the language. But she also had to show a Hungrian address.
We accompanied her to the citizenship ceremony with the Mayor of Hévíz, she was around 55 at that time ...
Interesting. My Hungarian is pretty good (for a Brit! ) & I studied other languages at University as my double honours subjects (French & Italian), no particular worries on that score. If I had to get fairly fluent at Hungarian to help get citizenship, I'd put the work in.

Biggest gripe is: no Rosetta stone language course in Hungarian.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. My Hungarian is pretty good (for a Brit! ) & I studied other languages at University as my double honours subjects (French & Italian), no particular worries on that score. If I had to get fairly fluent at Hungarian to help get citizenship, I'd put the work in.

Biggest gripe is: no Rosetta stone language course in Hungarian.
Obviously a language person - as an engineer and machine person I struggle, and you really don't want to (can't) read my posts unless I have spell check on!
Old Dec 28th 2018, 10:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Townhall meeting
In our network’s continuous effort to reach as many British nationals in Hungary as possible, we are announcing further events. This is your opportunity to ask the questions that concern you.

The meetings are free and open to all interested British nationals. Please make sure you register if you would like to attend.

Upcoming events in Hungary

Budapest: 9 January 2019, please register here via eventbrite
Old Dec 28th 2018, 5:37 pm
Banned

He'll only be updating you if you can't be bothered to keep up with Brexit news in the public domain

If it all ends up as a bar crawl, nae problemo.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

He'll only be updating you if you can't be bothered to keep up with Brexit news in the public domain

If it all ends up as a bar crawl, nae problemo.
Absolutely, except this time I'll be keeping tight hold of my wallet!
Old Dec 28th 2018, 8:42 pm
Banned

Let me know how it turns out - back in the UK by then. Sounds like one o' the mayn i' kilts owes you a few drinks
Old Dec 29th 2018, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Except that I have sent him (the ambassador) a specific question about pensions - the public domain says that pensions will be paid but there is nothing about whether we get the Canada deal or the USA deal i.e. no increases or annual increases and payments as if we were living in the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Peter - one of the Govt's recnt statements commits to pension rises only up to 2020, then subject to review - & I think we know what that means.

Pilis - yes & yes!
Old Dec 29th 2018, 1:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Except that I have sent him (the ambassador) a specific question about pensions - the public domain says that pensions will be paid but there is nothing about whether we get the Canada deal or the USA deal i.e. no increases or annual increases and payments as if we were living in the UK.
He can't give you a definitive answer, very simply put. It hasn't been decided yet what will happen on pensions/ annual increases in the event of no deal.

Unfortunately for you/ me/ us, the worldwide UK default is no increases until a bilateral deal gets arranged.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately for you/ me/ us, the worldwide UK default is no increases until a bilateral deal gets arranged.
Except that a bilateral deal is not needed to pay increases any more than a bilateral deal is needed to pay the pension in the first place - quotes from
BRIEFING PAPER (House of Commons)
Number CBP-01457, 7 August 2018
The policy of not awarding increases in some countries overseas has been followed by successive governments and continued with the introduction of the new State Pension in April 2016. Essentially, the reason is cost..............

And
A DSS Memorandum to the Social Security Committee in 1996 explained the role of reciprocal social security agreements:
16. Reciprocal social security agreements are not entered into solely with a view to paying annual uprating increases to UK pensioners living abroad. They are not strictly necessary for that purpose as uprating can be achieved through UK domestic legislation…

So the bottom line is that increases to the state pensions of expats is denied purely on the grounds of cost and the fact that expats will have contributed all the time they were working in the UK apparently counts for nothing.........after all they have no votes so why should any government care about them !!

Mrs May has repeatedly said that the rights of EU citizens in the EU and the rights of Brits living in the EU are paramount. We will see what that means.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Peter_in_Hungary …. (The quote button doesn't work for some reason !! )

"Mrs May has repeatedly said that the rights of EU citizens in the EU and the rights of Brits living in the EU are paramount. We will see what that means."

Just been reading this and EU expats posting on social media are not happy, understandably.
It doesn't apply to those who have long term residency though.
Out of interest, does a residency card in Hungary have an expiry date as there is no expiry date shown on mine ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46701886
​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.