British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   UK in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/uk-hungary-919975/)

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 6th 2018 8:45 am

UK in Hungary

Anybody heard anything about Brexit from the embassy?

jetsam1 Dec 6th 2018 8:12 pm

Re: UK in Hungary

Heard nothing...............

My wife and family are telling me I will fine to stay with being an Ostermelo and having two Hungarian children................... I don`t trust the politicians at all though. On any side. Has there been no information from the Hungarian government yet?

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Dec 6th 2018 8:51 pm

All existing residents in both countries are going to be just fine, no need to worry.

If you have Hungarian spouse, you're sorted :)

Neither UK nor Hungary has the faintest intention of changing the status quo with people already there, so to speak.

New arrivals could be different.

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 7th 2018 8:32 am

Jetsam - no.

Pilis - I am sure you are right.

Latest post from the Embassy, the little one still owes me for a bar bill!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...71ff3c20f6.jpg

cathyg Dec 13th 2018 3:33 pm

Town Hall meeting about Brexit announced for 9 January at 1730 at the Marriott Budapest. Ambassador and rep from the Hungarian government will be present to answer questions....

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 13th 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by cathyg (Post 12608484)
Town Hall meeting about Brexit announced for 9 January at 1730 at the Marriott Budapest. Ambassador and rep from the Hungarian government will be present to answer questions....

Thanks for that.

Peter_in_Hungary Dec 13th 2018 4:42 pm

Is there an assumption that there will be new news at that time - given that the meaningful vote on the current 'on offer deal' has just been kicked down the road, probably to the end of January.

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Dec 13th 2018 4:49 pm

There's nothing new that they can tell you. It's not as if they're privy to secret information on Brexit & how it will affect UK nationals in Hungary. Everything is in the public domain.

Just a way to field a few concerns from worried UK nationals & show they care :) Otherwise known as a complete waste of time unless you enjoy the meet-up.

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 13th 2018 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella (Post 12608543)
There's nothing new that they can tell you. It's not as if they're privy to secret information on Brexit & how it will affect UK nationals in Hungary. Everything is in the public domain.

Just a way to field a few concerns from worried UK nationals & show they care :) Otherwise known as a complete waste of time unless you enjoy the meet-up.

You're probably right but we'll go anyway, just in case!

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Dec 13th 2018 5:15 pm

My main worries if the UK doesn't conclude a Brexit deal:
- more difficult to live permanently in Hungary when I retire. With any luck, being married to a Hungarian helps a lot here
- UK state pension will be frozen at the level it is when I leave the UK (or start my pension/ or am currently paid at point of Brexit). This isn't scare-mongering. That's exactly what happens with expats in most of the world barring EU/EEA and a handful of places where UK has bilateral agreements in place. It's an extremely easy way for the DWP to save money & they are merciless
- short-term, visa requirements for holidays could be a PITA (unlikely, tbh)
- reciprocal health insurance (EHIC) stops

You won't get any reassurance from the Embassy team on these points as they don't know either.

FenTiger Dec 14th 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella (Post 12608563)
My main worries if the UK doesn't conclude a Brexit deal:
- more difficult to live permanently in Hungary when I retire. With any luck, being married to a Hungarian helps a lot here
- UK state pension will be frozen at the level it is when I leave the UK (or start my pension/ or am currently paid at point of Brexit). This isn't scare-mongering. That's exactly what happens with expats in most of the world barring EU/EEA and a handful of places where UK has bilateral agreements in place. It's an extremely easy way for the DWP to save money & they are merciless
- short-term, visa requirements for holidays could be a PITA (unlikely, tbh)
- reciprocal health insurance (EHIC) stops

You won't get any reassurance from the Embassy team on these points as they don't know either.

This is exactly the same boat I am in!

wolfi Dec 14th 2018 6:40 pm

This doesn't look good:

Theresa May Personally Insisted That The Words “Ending Of Free Movement Of People” Be Added To The First Page Of Her Brexit Deal

Brussels viewed the prime minister's unusual and personal intervention on a cosmetic detail of presentation as a clear sign of what drives and defines her Brexit.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonard...st-page-brexit

jetsam1 Dec 14th 2018 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by wolfi (Post 12609120)

She has previous. Rees-Mogg etc are running away from the ATAD and she just hates everyone who isn`t a millionaire from the Home Counties.

I expect the worst. As how can you then be disappointed?

There will be meaningless platitudes and next March we could have a lot of problems. I am quite prepared to never have the UK pension (am 36) so I don`t care about that particularly, but I am sure the Home Office will find many ways to make my life "fun".

wolfi Dec 14th 2018 7:34 pm

I still don't get it:
From that article I linked to:

But EU sources have noted that the prime minister’s enthusiasm for putting an end to free movement has not always been matched by an equal dose of frankness when it comes to clearly spelling out to voters and MPs that the right to freely work, live, and retire anywhere in the 28-country bloc to is a two-way street that will see Britons lose those very same rights after Brexit.
Wtf has she been thinking?
Of course these rules are a "two way street"!
Now I really understand why my sister who's married to an Englishman and her children immediately renewed their German passports ...

PS:
Wasn't it Farage (or some other right wing politician) who also got German passport for his children after Brexit was announced?

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 14th 2018 7:42 pm

As we have seen repeatedly, even on this (expatriate) forum, the Brits in the UK don't give a stuff about British rights in the EU. Their world starts & stops at Dover.

ETA: Meanwhile the number of non EU migrants to the UK will continue to climb (43% rise to 248,000 in the year ended June 2018) but that's obviously OK.