Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

A trip to Eger? Share the driving with your OH

A trip to Eger? Share the driving with your OH

Old Aug 26th 2018, 3:26 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default A trip to Eger? Share the driving with your OH

You drive there, OH drives back. Sounds fair to me.

Eger must be one of the best places to visit on a weekend. Lovely little town, plenty of historic bits - the town itself, the old castle, the minaret. Just over an hour of hard driving outside Bp so not too onerous. The restaurants are half Bp prices.

And we build up to a couple of hours in the - the Valley of the Beautiful Girls

For those not in the know, it's a locally famous (small) valley with loads of modest wine cellars, most owned by families not companies - they grow the grapes, make the wine, store it in this little valley of wine cellars and take pleasure in selling a few glasses of wine for peanuts to mostly Hungarian visitors. They want you to buy a few bottles to take away, so the generous glasses of wine are just 50p or so, for sampling purposes. Food is fatty bread with peppers/ onions etc, got to stay sober somehow. You try and get in quite a few cellars until you find one you really like, where you stay to do a vertical tasting of all they can offer. Life is great at that point, but your partner is starting to wear a slight frown.

After the first 2 hours, you realise why it is called the Valley of the Beautiful Girls as these big fat Hungarian 60 year old mommas start to look rather attractive, good job your wife/ girlfriend is there or you might be quite tempted!

She drives you home, you have a little snooze after all that work and wake up refreshed. Good day!
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A trip to Eger? Share the driving with your OH

Nice to see someone getting out of BP!
So many people visiting Hungary only get as far as Budapest and think they've seen Hungary. They haven't!
We work in Eger but rarely actually wander around town and even less frequently visit Szépasszonyvölgy, only when we have visitors. We really should do it more often. Maybe this week before we return to school after the summer holidays. The downside for us is public transport. Neither of us wants to drive when we visit 'The Valley' and return buses tend to finish quite early
December is also a lovely time to come here as there is a small Christmas market and the town looks so pretty when it's lit up.
Glad you enjoyed your visit and come back again soon
Old Aug 28th 2018, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've visited Eger a few times now, normally when visitors have arrived as I wanted to show them somewhere other than Budapest. I love the wine cellars and have always had to rush for the last train back to Budapest after time ran away from me.

Last time I was there with a friend, we made the mistake of climbing the minaret without even think about it. That staircase on the descent is a nightmare and I was (seriously) convinced I wasn't going to get down. I had wobbly legs for the rest of the day. Never again!

Last edited by rammy100; Aug 28th 2018 at 10:03 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

To try wine you could of course also go to Villany in the south east - but generally I'd say it's better to stay at least one night - then you really can enjoy your evening