Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Care in the community

Care in the community

Old Aug 31st 2018, 6:03 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default Care in the community

So our village pop is 3000-4000 and we use about one quadrant of it. Of course we might go everywhere - there are some nice walks - but we really know well 'our' quadrant.

There are 3 people on the local roads with obvious mental issues. None of them work.

1 is a guy who has senile dementia. He used to do gardening work 20 years ago, then he got a bit worse and started rooting through the bins looking for empty tinnies to get 5 Ft back, now he is reduced to wandering around all day doing nothing - he recognises us and gives the old thumbs up/ wave. He's about 70 I guess. Pretty harmless but we lock the doors.

2 is a guy who is about 55-60 and is a hoarder. Whenever we have 'throwing out rubbish/ unwanted odds & sods day' (it's once a year), he'll be the one going around looking for something useless like a stool. The gypsies go round getting the valuable stuff such as metal things. He'll go around looking for a cushion or a glass jug etc. He lives in a derelict half built house on a much used road we go past, he has acquired over the years a few trucks etc and lots of rubbish that sort of spills out from his garden. He'll come out and berate you if you go faster than 10 kmph as you might squash one of his cats. Perfectly friendly - it's severe autism (believe me, I know all about autism).

3 is a woman about 40 who won't look you in the eye and will scuttle away if you are walking towards her - it's another case of severe autism. I have noticed her going into people's houses, I suspect they might give her money for services rendered though you would not figure she's a pro or anything, it could be completely innocent. Indeed, she's a bit dirty/ mucky/ plain and you'd have to be hard-pressed to think of her in that way. You certainly wouldn't get any pillow talk.

No idea where they get the money to survive, can anybody enlighten me?
Old Aug 31st 2018, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Care in the community

If they are registered disabled then they will get a pension. In addition all villages have a social worker whose job it is to give such assistance as is needed to the disabled. This help ranges from doing the shopping and house work to hair washing and emptying the 'night bucket' if the dwelling has no inside loo. Basically anything non-medical to enable the person to live in their own home. Meals on wheels are generally available either from a local commercial enterprise or from the local school who frequently do a carry out service. In our village the social worker collects these meals from the school daily for the couple of disabled asking for them.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If they are registered disabled then they will get a pension. In addition all villages have a social worker whose job it is to give such assistance as is needed to the disabled. This help ranges from doing the shopping and house work to hair washing and emptying the 'night bucket' if the dwelling has no inside loo. Basically anything non-medical to enable the person to live in their own home. Meals on wheels are generally available either from a local commercial enterprise or from the local school who frequently do a carry out service. In our village the social worker collects these meals from the school daily for the couple of disabled asking for them.
It's much the same in the village where I live.

I'm not disabled in any way nor am I Hungarian but as an OAP I qualify to have a home help and "meals on wheels" if I wished to - which I don't. The only time I ask for help is sometimes in winter when there's snow on the ground I'll ask our minibus driver to do my shopping for me, or if I have a hospital appointment I'll ask him to take me.

I'm not sure how much a disability pension is now but if I remember correctly 7/8 years ago it was around 50 000 HUF a month
Old Sep 1st 2018, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I'm not sure how much a disability pension is now but if I remember correctly 7/8 years ago it was around 50 000 HUF a month
It depends upon the %age of disability