Trains

Old May 28th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default Trains

Hungary's train services are well established and cheap, works out about £8 per every 100km (on average). Has anyone tried excursions (from Keszthely) such as the overnight train to Venice? Catching the Danube ferry from Budapest to Vienna and returning by train? Graz - Belgrade, any winter/ski resorts? Too many too mention... and the most important, train from Ferihegy - now called Liszt Ferenc airport. Train from the UK?
Any information to and from anywhere would be of interest.
Old May 28th 2011, 9:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trains

Considered the train from the UK before but it was quite expensive. National rail fares in Hungary are exceptionally good value AND the trains are always on time - which is brilliant when you have a connection to make.
We once travelled by train from Bulgaria to Hungary, the train itself was adequate, the guards at the Romanian border were scary and the toilets left a lot to be desired

The train to the airport is from Nyugati (about every 15-20 mins). Usually we get a taxi as from Deli or Kelenfold to Nyugati, 2 or 3 changes of transport are required.
Old May 28th 2011, 9:50 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty
Hungary's train services are well established and cheap, works out about £8 per every 100km (on average). Has anyone tried excursions (from Keszthely) such as the overnight train to Venice? Catching the Danube ferry from Budapest to Vienna and returning by train? Graz - Belgrade, any winter/ski resorts? Too many too mention... and the most important, train from Ferihegy - now called Liszt Ferenc airport. Train from the UK?
Any information to and from anywhere would be of interest.
There is a web site that will sell you a European weekly train pass, sorry I have lost the link. Try a google.

I tried the trains in Hungary......Fab
Old May 29th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Catching a train from Nyugati to the airport - did you get off at Vecses? Was the stop far from the terminal? Can you walk it?
Old May 30th 2011, 10:07 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, will chat with the other half this evening as he has taken the train before. If I remember correctly, he had to take the underground from the main station and then get the train to the airport, will confirm later
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:48 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi, finally found out for you (bad week, toothache and hospital visit!).

You get the tube from the main station, he thinks it was one change and then you get the train from Nyugati direct to the terminal (he can't remember whether it's 1 or 2) at Ferihegy (Franz Liszt) so no long walk involved.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to do something a little different I would recommend a trip on the Children's Railway in Budapest. You go on a lovely journey through the Buda hills- the railway (NOT the driver!) is staffed by kids. It is a lovely relic of Communist times. http://www.gyermekvasut.hu/english
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

br5968 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're making our second visit to Balaton this summer, flying into Zagreb and then getting the train up.

Just wondered if anyone knows if there's a collated timetable for the trains around the lake? I know I can check individual journies on the Malev or Bahn websites, but as we were hoping to do quite a bit of hopping around a booklet in PDF form would be great.... have tried searching online but can't find one - does such a thing exist?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

I asked about a timetable in Keszthely station, they had a book of a full timetable which covers the whole of Hungary. It cost about 3000 forint. It covers the trains to other countries too, hence my initial query if anyone had tried out any of the journeys. There was one thing which I remember, you can only buy an international ticket from the Budapest station.
When you do get round to train travelling, I'd be interested to hear how it went etc.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi br5968 and welcome to the BE site.
Should you have any problems or questions, feel free to contact myself or Mitzyboy and we will be more than happy to help. Useful advise on using the forum can be found here at the welcome inn

I think this is the link to the PDF - it is the timetable for the whole of Hungary though. Also, here they offer a discounted multi journey ticket which might be of some interest. Good luck