Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Touring Hungary - Campsites

Touring Hungary - Campsites

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

suenmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Touring Hungary

Can anybody tell me what the weather is like in September around the Tapolca area? We are thinking of coming over in our motorhome to view property and area. If anyone has any info or web sites of camp sites in that area we would be grateful. While I am asking questions there is no end I’m afraid.
We are trying to find out the cost of things like rates, water and gas charges, phone and broadband charges, so that we can ascertain budget costs. I am sure these topics have been asked before, but have searched the website with no success.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Touring Hungary

Hello,

Hopefully the weather should still be nice for you, but you may have to reply on other forum members who have been here longer for a more accurate opinion. So far we have found the cost of living in Hungary to be cheaper than the UK, but not for everything. Alcohol and cigarettes (not that we smoke) are very cheap in comparison, whereas some products like white goods are the same or in some cases more expensive. Likewise it would appear that anything imported is expensive. Branded clothes are also the same price as elsewhere in the world i.e. brands like Nike etc which makes me wonder how the average Hungarian can afford them (wages here are very low). Council tax is low but I would say that utilities such as gas and electric are comparable. Internet we get here http://www.t-home.hu/english which is suprisingly reliable and they are quick to instal - but check before you buy a property that your area is covered. From personal experience there is an agent I would not go near with a bargepole if you are looking to buy - feel free to pm me. Others on this forum have much more experience than I have of living here (June 2011) however, living in Hungary is a steep learning curve.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:08 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi suenmike and welcome to the forum.
September should still be warmish but probably a bit wet. You might struggle with campsites as many are seasonal and close the first week in September - though I think this one is open till October - http://www.caravancamping.hu/
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

suenmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank -you for the prompt replies
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any other camp sites around Balaton? Dog friendly would be a bonus but not essential?
Thanks,
Paul
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

derbycold is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure about camp sites but there plenty of plces to wild camp by the lake,we came over in our motorhome 2 years ago,had a great time then moved down to croatia then venice and over to lake garda. very nice holiday
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I'll start a new thread rather than continue to hijack this one
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Touring Hungary - Campsites

Hi, following on from the touring Hungary thread.....does anyone have any info on other campsites around the lake. Ones that are pet friendly would be a bonus but not essential.
Also, I'm completely ignorant about that area of Hungary. I've lived here for 3 years but not yet had the chance to explore so which is the "better" side?
I like hills/mountains, nice scenery, enough people to be busy but not crowded, not really into places that are too touristy.
Thanks,
Paul
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:08 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem, the two topics are very similar.

Campsites are something the Balaton area has in abundance. Basically pick a village then Google the name and campsite. There is a site, Balaton Tourist or similar, they have details of the larger sites though there are also many smaller ones both on the Balaton and in Spa resorts, as well as in many scenic villages. The lakeside ones tend to be very busy - especially during the school holidays. There are small tucked away sites, such as the one in our village which is in the hills, 15 minutes from Zalakaros spa, 25 from the lake. Many of these are not well advertised and so, are difficult to find. There are a few near Heviz as well.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Aug 7th 2011 at 6:17 am.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Default Re: Touring Hungary - Campsites

Just thought, there is one in Zalaszanto, don't know when it closes. Scenery is lovely out that way and there is a Buda monument in the "Park of Peace" - it's about 20 minutes from the lake.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Smile Re: Touring Hungary - Campsites

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Hi, following on from the touring Hungary thread.....does anyone have any info on other campsites around the lake. Ones that are pet friendly would be a bonus but not essential.
Also, I'm completely ignorant about that area of Hungary. I've lived here for 3 years but not yet had the chance to explore so which is the "better" side?
I like hills/mountains, nice scenery, enough people to be busy but not crowded, not really into places that are too touristy.
Thanks,
Paul
The campsite in Hevis just opposite the entrance to the hot spa and swimming area, is very good and open all year round, we stayed there in December in our motorhome. The shower block was heated and clean. There was steam coming off the little canals that linked into the thermal swimming, with water lilies in full bloom. Hevis has bars and restaurants open all year, just five mins walk from the campsite through lovely parkland and gardens, there are also good cycle paths from the site.