Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Toilets without cisterns

Toilets without cisterns

Old Mar 17th 2019, 10:42 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toilets without cisterns

Hello! I'm a long time lurker who hasn't posted in ages. I don't live in Hungary yet, but are planning a move to Zala County this year. Wifey has an Irish passport so hoping that will make things easier regarding Brexit. But I have a question about toilets. We have noticed that a lot of rural houses have toilets without cisterns, just a lever. I have tried to find info online about this system but to no avail, so hoping someone here can help. Firstly, how do these systems work? Surely there must be some kind of pump to supply enough water pressure to flush the loo? Can a modern toilet (without buying a cistern) be fitted to this system or should it be entirely replaced with a new cistern? I have some plumbing experience so hoping I can do the work myself if possible. Can a cistern simply be installed without any major changes or will the water pressure be too high? Any help will,,,er,,,help. Thanks.



Az auto nem kint van, hanem bent.
MarkyP is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 10:53 am
  #2  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Sorry, forgot to mention something else. Light switches. Been looking on various Hungarian websites that sell light switches and they seem to be sold in parts and not complete. There is the switch itself & the frame that covers the screws are bought separately. Is that right?
MarkyP is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:34 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,248
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by MarkyP View Post
Hello! I'm a long time lurker who hasn't posted in ages. I don't live in Hungary yet, but are planning a move to Zala County this year. Wifey has an Irish passport so hoping that will make things easier regarding Brexit. But I have a question about toilets. We have noticed that a lot of rural houses have toilets without cisterns, just a lever. I have tried to find info online about this system but to no avail, so hoping someone here can help. Firstly, how do these systems work? Surely there must be some kind of pump to supply enough water pressure to flush the loo? Can a modern toilet (without buying a cistern) be fitted to this system or should it be entirely replaced with a new cistern? I have some plumbing experience so hoping I can do the work myself if possible. Can a cistern simply be installed without any major changes or will the water pressure be too high? Any help will,,,er,,,help. Thanks.
There are 2 methods of flushing without cisterns, one is just a tap that you turn on and then turn off when you think enough water has flowed and the 2nd is a push tap that delivers a fixed (ish) amount of water then shuts off. Both work from standard mains pressure which is usually enough although sometimes, depending upon the drain flow, there may not be enough flow given to carry the product down the pipe an so blockage can slowly accumulate. (more of an issue with the first type because as soon as the product disappears the tendency is to turn the tap off as all water is metered)

The toilet bowl connections are the same so there will be no problem using either a tap or cistern with any bowl type or to using either a high or low mounted cistern - either of which IMO will give better function than either of the tap varieties.


Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:36 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,248
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by MarkyP View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention something else. Light switches. Been looking on various Hungarian websites that sell light switches and they seem to be sold in parts and not complete. There is the switch itself & the frame that covers the screws are bought separately. Is that right?
Yes !!
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:40 am
  #5  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 4,107
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Not wishing to go off topic but do I detect somebody is tinkering with Duolingo?
Expatrick is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:25 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
There are 2 methods of flushing without cisterns, one is just a tap that you turn on and then turn off when you think enough water has flowed and the 2nd is a push tap that delivers a fixed (ish) amount of water then shuts off. Both work from standard mains pressure which is usually enough although sometimes, depending upon the drain flow, there may not be enough flow given to carry the product down the pipe an so blockage can slowly accumulate. (more of an issue with the first type because as soon as the product disappears the tendency is to turn the tap off as all water is metered)

The toilet bowl connections are the same so there will be no problem using either a tap or cistern with any bowl type or to using either a high or low mounted cistern - either of which IMO will give better function than either of the tap varieties.
Thanks,
MarkyP is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:28 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Not wishing to go off topic but do I detect somebody is tinkering with Duolingo?
Oh, you noticed? It's really good, but so far haven't learned much that would be really useful. And I'm a bit worried about those kindergarten teachers that fly all over Hungary.
MarkyP is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:29 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
Yes !!
Thought so. Thanks. Not a lot of choice is there? I would like some really funky ones but most are just boring. Have found some different coloured frames that are quite nice though.
MarkyP is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:30 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by ILIVEIN View Post
VICTORIA PLUMBING COMPACT TOILET
THE CISTERN IS IN A FRAME IN WALL
Well, that's what I thought at first, but these ones I've looked at don't have a false wall to hide the cistern.
MarkyP is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:38 pm
  #10  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 4,107
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by MarkyP View Post
Oh, you noticed? It's really good, but so far haven't learned much that would be really useful. And I'm a bit worried about those kindergarten teachers that fly all over Hungary.
To avoid being told off again(!) I'll start a new thread.
Expatrick is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:15 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
jameswm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

I bought some light switches from Praktiker recently; they were complete units.
jameswm is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2019, 7:00 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Originally Posted by jameswm View Post
I bought some light switches from Praktiker recently; they were complete units.
I've seen a few complete ones online from Praktiker & Obi, but the one's I've taken a shine too are the Legrand Celaine range that have different coloured frames & round chrome switches. These come in as many different pieces as possible. Mounting frame, mechanism, buttons & frame, all bought separately. Not badly priced as long as I stick to a plastic frame, rather than glass, metal or wood. They don't have these in any of the big DIY stores, only found them (online as I'm not Hungary yet) in smaller independent stores. It's daft, haven't even bought a house yet and already doing it up in my head.
MarkyP is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.