Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Toilets without cisterns

Toilets without cisterns

Old Mar 17th 2019, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toilets without cisterns

Hello! I'm a long time lurker who hasn't posted in ages. I don't live in Hungary yet, but are planning a move to Zala County this year. Wifey has an Irish passport so hoping that will make things easier regarding Brexit. But I have a question about toilets. We have noticed that a lot of rural houses have toilets without cisterns, just a lever. I have tried to find info online about this system but to no avail, so hoping someone here can help. Firstly, how do these systems work? Surely there must be some kind of pump to supply enough water pressure to flush the loo? Can a modern toilet (without buying a cistern) be fitted to this system or should it be entirely replaced with a new cistern? I have some plumbing experience so hoping I can do the work myself if possible. Can a cistern simply be installed without any major changes or will the water pressure be too high? Any help will,,,er,,,help. Thanks.

Az auto nem kint van, hanem bent.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Toilets without cisterns

Sorry, forgot to mention something else. Light switches. Been looking on various Hungarian websites that sell light switches and they seem to be sold in parts and not complete. There is the switch itself & the frame that covers the screws are bought separately. Is that right?
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkyP
Hello! I'm a long time lurker who hasn't posted in ages. I don't live in Hungary yet, but are planning a move to Zala County this year. Wifey has an Irish passport so hoping that will make things easier regarding Brexit. But I have a question about toilets. We have noticed that a lot of rural houses have toilets without cisterns, just a lever. I have tried to find info online about this system but to no avail, so hoping someone here can help. Firstly, how do these systems work? Surely there must be some kind of pump to supply enough water pressure to flush the loo? Can a modern toilet (without buying a cistern) be fitted to this system or should it be entirely replaced with a new cistern? I have some plumbing experience so hoping I can do the work myself if possible. Can a cistern simply be installed without any major changes or will the water pressure be too high? Any help will,,,er,,,help. Thanks.
There are 2 methods of flushing without cisterns, one is just a tap that you turn on and then turn off when you think enough water has flowed and the 2nd is a push tap that delivers a fixed (ish) amount of water then shuts off. Both work from standard mains pressure which is usually enough although sometimes, depending upon the drain flow, there may not be enough flow given to carry the product down the pipe an so blockage can slowly accumulate. (more of an issue with the first type because as soon as the product disappears the tendency is to turn the tap off as all water is metered)

The toilet bowl connections are the same so there will be no problem using either a tap or cistern with any bowl type or to using either a high or low mounted cistern - either of which IMO will give better function than either of the tap varieties.

Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot to mention something else. Light switches. Been looking on various Hungarian websites that sell light switches and they seem to be sold in parts and not complete. There is the switch itself & the frame that covers the screws are bought separately. Is that right?
Yes !!
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to go off topic but do I detect somebody is tinkering with Duolingo?
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
There are 2 methods of flushing without cisterns, one is just a tap that you turn on and then turn off when you think enough water has flowed and the 2nd is a push tap that delivers a fixed (ish) amount of water then shuts off. Both work from standard mains pressure which is usually enough although sometimes, depending upon the drain flow, there may not be enough flow given to carry the product down the pipe an so blockage can slowly accumulate. (more of an issue with the first type because as soon as the product disappears the tendency is to turn the tap off as all water is metered)

The toilet bowl connections are the same so there will be no problem using either a tap or cistern with any bowl type or to using either a high or low mounted cistern - either of which IMO will give better function than either of the tap varieties.
Thanks,
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Not wishing to go off topic but do I detect somebody is tinkering with Duolingo?
Oh, you noticed? It's really good, but so far haven't learned much that would be really useful. And I'm a bit worried about those kindergarten teachers that fly all over Hungary.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yes !!
Thought so. Thanks. Not a lot of choice is there? I would like some really funky ones but most are just boring. Have found some different coloured frames that are quite nice though.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ILIVEIN
VICTORIA PLUMBING COMPACT TOILET
THE CISTERN IS IN A FRAME IN WALL
Well, that's what I thought at first, but these ones I've looked at don't have a false wall to hide the cistern.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, you noticed? It's really good, but so far haven't learned much that would be really useful. And I'm a bit worried about those kindergarten teachers that fly all over Hungary.
To avoid being told off again(!) I'll start a new thread.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

jameswm is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought some light switches from Praktiker recently; they were complete units.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jameswm
I bought some light switches from Praktiker recently; they were complete units.
I've seen a few complete ones online from Praktiker & Obi, but the one's I've taken a shine too are the Legrand Celaine range that have different coloured frames & round chrome switches. These come in as many different pieces as possible. Mounting frame, mechanism, buttons & frame, all bought separately. Not badly priced as long as I stick to a plastic frame, rather than glass, metal or wood. They don't have these in any of the big DIY stores, only found them (online as I'm not Hungary yet) in smaller independent stores. It's daft, haven't even bought a house yet and already doing it up in my head.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I would like to mention if you are doing your own wiring. The standard way of fitting sockets just relies on friction to stop the socket from pulling out of the plastic mounting box. In practice this does not work too well so you end up using 2 hands to unplug something, one to pull the plug and one to hold the socket in place. You can buy boxes with screw holes (and sometimes with screws included) that enable you to screw the metal part of the socket to the box.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fidobsa
One thing I would like to mention if you are doing your own wiring. The standard way of fitting sockets just relies on friction to stop the socket from pulling out of the plastic mounting box. In practice this does not work too well so you end up using 2 hands to unplug something, one to pull the plug and one to hold the socket in place. You can buy boxes with screw holes (and sometimes with screws included) that enable you to screw the metal part of the socket to the box.
Thanks for that. I was wondering how these things fit together.