Tiling

Old Mar 27th 2019, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Dickyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiling

Hello,

We have an outside terrace that needs tiling. Would anybody be able to advise on the going labour rate for a tiler per square metre or day rate? All materials are being provided by us. The total area is 70 square metres and includes a number of steps.

Thank you,

Dicky
Old Mar 28th 2019, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiling

Round here they charge per square metre. I can't remember exactly how much but I think it's 2000/2500 forints per square metre, regardless of the number of cuts etc.

Make sure you have frost resistant tiles...I fell foul of that the first year we were here and paid the price
Old Mar 28th 2019, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you PaulinEger, as ever.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Make sure you have frost resistant tiles...I fell foul of that the first year we were here and paid the price
+1
And frost resistant flexible adhesive. It's not much more than the 'ordinary' variety and IMO worth the extra

Good luck with finding a tiler because around here any building trades are very difficult to get without a ridiculous lead time.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget the frost. It is the temperature you should be going for. In Szeged (in 2014) I was advised to go for tiles that could withstand at least -10 degrees on my small balcony; so I went for tiles (if memory serves me correctly) tiles of around 3,000 huf per square meter, which were (and still are) quite thick. Basically, with tiles, I would say buy the best you can. My tiles were done per square meter, regardless of the time spent.........no one in Szeged is doing Mosaic Tiles per hour though!!!!

With a tiler you need to dictate EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT DOING right down to the colour and make of the cement/glue/trimmings/etc. I have blue bathroom tiles, so went for a blue grout; as opposed to a white grout. I'm happy.

Old Mar 28th 2019, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the info and taking the time to reply. I think we've got all bases covered now. Got the frost resistant adhesive, decent tiles and grout. Just confirming the workers now.

Cheers,

Dicky