Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Telephoning in Hungary

Telephoning in Hungary

Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephoning in Hungary

It is still not anything like as easy as in other countries. I got my pay as you go sim on my first visit to Hungary. The process took about an hour and I was given 8 pages of paperwork they printed out for me! In some countries you can get sim cards from a vending machine. I later tried to get a pay as you go dongle for mobile internet but was refused because at the time I didn't have a residents or address card.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Not as easy as getting free sim cards with your weetabix box. But an improvement thank god. If only they would increase their broadband capability. Here, they are on about inceasing broadband speed accessibilty for everyone from next year from 10mb to 30mb and to 100mb by 2020. I can't see this happening in Hungary in my lifetime.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It is still not anything like as easy as in other countries. I got my pay as you go sim on my first visit to Hungary. The process took about an hour and I was given 8 pages of paperwork they printed out for me! In some countries you can get sim cards from a vending machine. I later tried to get a pay as you go dongle for mobile internet but was refused because at the time I didn't have a residents or address card.
Where did you go?

Never taken us an hour, we have bought 4, the first being nearly five years ago and it was the most difficult to purchase. The last was about a year ago and took 15 mins at the little phone selling kiosk, next to the ice cream seller in Nagy Tesco and if memory serves me correctly, I didn't need to fill in any paperwork - just my name and address.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:10 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty
Not as easy as getting free sim cards with your weetabix box. But an improvement thank god. If only they would increase their broadband capability. Here, they are on about inceasing broadband speed accessibilty for everyone from next year from 10mb to 30mb and to 100mb by 2020. I can't see this happening in Hungary in my lifetime.
It's getting there, slowly but surely. Internet in most towns is now quite good but villages will take longer because of the antiquated lines. It was the same in Ireland, towns and cities had excellent internet speeds but the villages would need a complete upgrade of the network before decent speeds could be provided (actually, Ireland was slightly different due to the technology they implemented when upgrading the main network a decade or so ago - they chose one which is now not compatible with today's technology)
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

It wasn't a question of where did I go, at that time there was no options. Had to go to the telephone supplier. But it was a while back, tempus fugit.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by bronty
It wasn't a question of where did I go, at that time there was no options. Had to go to the telephone supplier. But it was a while back, tempus fugit.
Not you, I can imagine where you had to go Fidbosa said he had 8 pages of paperwork to fill in and I have only ever experienced that at T-Home who, despite the procedure being simplified, seem to insist on an unnecessary amount paperwork being filled in.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Telephoning in Hungary - Facetime

Originally Posted by cathyg
Anybody using Facetime? I have just bought an ipad with 3g and I am going to get a sim card in Hungary so that I can use internet anywhere whilst we are over there.
Coming on Tuesday hooray!!
Let me know how you get on with 3g. 8 out of 10 frinds have had no problems here, so I am not sure if it was the area or something else, but I would be interested to know if anyone has any problems.
I have used 3g in the most obscure places, as you should, but still confounded with the problem here.
Good luck for your move.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Not you, I can imagine where you had to go Fidbosa said he had 8 pages of paperwork to fill in and I have only ever experienced that at T-Home who, despite the procedure being simplified, seem to insist on an unnecessary amount paperwork being filled in.
I don't know why they do this. The red tape is old hat now, perhaps it's a way of keeping everyone employed. It's bloody annoying and unnescessary.
If possible I go without rather than go through the palaver of more forms and signing your life away. I have never seen so many contracts in my life. Plus the fact that there is no continuity, no one says the same thing, and everyone is right. Just do the work!
Each time something comes up, which is a simple task, and they make a mountain out of a mole hill, I spend half my time in Hungary sighing. It is so anticipated, if I wasn't teetotal I would be plastered every day.....
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Where did you go?

Never taken us an hour, we have bought 4, the first being nearly five years ago and it was the most difficult to purchase. The last was about a year ago and took 15 mins at the little phone selling kiosk, next to the ice cream seller in Nagy Tesco and if memory serves me correctly, I didn't need to fill in any paperwork - just my name and address.
T Mobile shop in Tesco, Zalaegerszeg, March 2011. There was not actually much filling in but a few signatures, passport, mothers maiden name, colour of underwear etc etc. The time included standing in a queue to be served then waiting again for the other assistant who spoke English.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
T Mobile shop in Tesco, Zalaegerszeg, March 2011. There was not actually much filling in but a few signatures, passport, mothers maiden name, colour of underwear etc etc. The time included standing in a queue to be served then waiting again for the other assistant who spoke English.
Ah, makes sense now. The procedure itself is pretty quick and painless nowadays. Chap in the phone kiosk takes about 10-15 minutes and that includes the time to decide what you actually want.