Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Returning EHIC Card

Returning EHIC Card

Old Jan 28th 2019, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning EHIC Card

I sold my house in Hungary and moved full time to Croatia in October 2018. One of the "loose ends" I have been trying to sort out is the transfer of state health cover from the Hungary system to the Croatia one. The people in Croatia say I must get an E104 form from Hungary and to get that I have visited the NEAK office in Nagykanizsa and sent a letter and emails to the head office in Budapest. I did get one email reply but they kept me waiting over 2 months after I replied to that. This is what they wrote:

"...unfortunately, selling a property does not cancel your residence in Hungary.

The new owners or you have to contact the central record office in order to report that you no longer live in Hungary: [email protected]

Please note, as you no longer have got a legal permanent residence in Hungary, you are no longer legally allowed to pay the monthly contribution to the tax office and in this case, you have to send back your EHIC issued in March 2018 as we’ll annul it with the date of moving away from Hungary.

As soon as you arrange your permanent residence, we’ll issue the “closed” E 104 form for you.

Best regards,

National Institute of Health Insurance Fund Management

Dept. of International Affairs and Entitlement Registry"

I realise that my entitlement to the EHIC card ended when I stopped paying into the Hungarian system but it is only this rule about the E104 form that is stopping me joining the Croatia health system. If I return it at this stage I will be completely out of options if I have a medical emergency. I have now posted back my Hungarian address and registration cards, with a covering letter to explain I am no longer a resident.

Last edited by fidobsa; Jan 28th 2019 at 10:39 am.