Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The recipe thread

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I did...I did :-) I loved the spice souk....you could smell it before you saw it. I bought so many different types of spices and some things I didn't even know what they were. I just bung them all in the curry...love it. Unfortunately my herbs and spices don't last. I have even kept back a spice bottle set which was supposed to be a gift for a friend (don't worry, I gave them something else). I am not that mean
Oh, just thinking of the smells and colours has me craving a chicken tagine! Having cooked it a few times, I still can't get close to the ones we had in Larache, there is a depth of flavour missing and I just can't work out what it is.

Well I 'll remember never to ask you to bring me spices as a gift
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet you loved the busy bazaars Polgardi! They are the same in Egypt and Istanbul and along the Bosphorus strait.

Those are the places to simply dive in and wander. Don't have an agenda, just walk the crowded stalls and get lost. Stop for a tea, stop to chat with a carpet seller. If you're in a rush, you're missing the point. They love bargaining.

Juts enjoy your cooking and post some recipes.
Have a good day!
LZ
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I wouldn't mind a visit to the Moroccan souks, the spice stalls in the medinas are quite amazing.
I did...I did :-) I loved the spice souk....you could smell it before you saw it.
I did. I did too.

Morocco. Egypt . Tunisia. Dubai .

Love the smells and the colours. Just can't eat anything spicy at all.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I did. I did too.

Morocco. Egypt . Tunisia. Dubai .

Love the smells and the colours. Just can't eat anything spicy at all.
Why's that Bevs? Does it not agree with you?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Okay...so changing the subject slightly....got me some big cherries. How do I make that lovely big cherry cake which is so popular here...and scrummy?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Zelda
I bet you loved the busy bazaars Polgardi! They are the same in Egypt and Istanbul and along the Bosphorus strait.

Those are the places to simply dive in and wander. Don't have an agenda, just walk the crowded stalls and get lost. Stop for a tea, stop to chat with a carpet seller. If you're in a rush, you're missing the point. They love bargaining.

Juts enjoy your cooking and post some recipes.
Have a good day!
LZ
Not keen on the busy bazaars in Turkey ..... they can be very pushy and even insist on driving you to the hotel if you "left" your wallet at the hotel!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:43 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Okay...so changing the subject slightly....got me some big cherries. How do I make that lovely big cherry cake which is so popular here...and scrummy?
Is it the morello cherry slab?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to pick 11kgs of green walnuts today so my wife has started preparing for this year's pickled walnuts. We've also got a recipe for walnut liquer so the palinka's been ordered and I'll be back out tomorrow to get some more walnuts
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Polgardi,

I jave just baked one an hour ago for the grandchildren. It is still warm. It is a sponge cake with Morello cherries. I would attach a picture, but again it does not let me attach any photos. The link is gone.

So sorry, if someone from the Moderators could help reinstate it, I would appreciate it. I will post it later.
LZ
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:15 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
I managed to pick 11kgs of green walnuts today so my wife has started preparing for this year's pickled walnuts. We've also got a recipe for walnut liquer so the palinka's been ordered and I'll be back out tomorrow to get some more walnuts
Did you finish last years supply?
I've never had walnut liqueur but a Hungarian friend makes Walnut palinka which, surprisingly, was quite palatable!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:22 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Take a look here Pol, it doesn't have the sour/morello cherry cake but there are loads of them online. It has an alternative cherry pie and other recipes for foods you might recognise
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Take a look here Pol, it doesn't have the sour/morello cherry cake but there are loads of them online. It has an alternative cherry pie and other recipes for foods you might recognise
Thank you...yes it is the big sour cherries...Someone just came round and gave us a crate. We have some cherry trees in our garden...but they are not ripe yet...and I have no idea what they are. A Hungarian friend told me they were non-edible??? But I don't believe that because the guy that owned the property before us would not have had anything just for show.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Thank you...yes it is the big sour cherries...Someone just came round and gave us a crate. We have some cherry trees in our garden...but they are not ripe yet...and I have no idea what they are. A Hungarian friend told me they were non-edible??? But I don't believe that because the guy that owned the property before us would not have had anything just for show.
Loads here. Have the trees been sprayed? If not, he could mean they are non-edible because they will be full of maggots Unless they have been sprayed, the later, sweet cherries are usually full of them - yuck!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loads here. Have the trees been sprayed? If not, he could mean they are non-edible because they will be full of maggots Unless they have been sprayed, the later, sweet cherries are usually full of them - yuck!
Um...none of our trees are sprayed. We always have great plums (excuse the pun) and last year we had the most magnificent apples...but this year the apple tree didn't blossom We also have an almond tree (as well as the obligatory walnut)...but hubby is allergic to peanuts so I never know quite what to do with them. Maybe I should set up a little stall outside the house I did try pickled walnuts last year...but used the most cheap awful vinegar....won't be making that mistake again
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Did you finish last years supply?
I've never had walnut liqueur but a Hungarian friend makes Walnut palinka which, surprisingly, was quite palatable!
We have one jar of pickled walnuts left from the 5kgs that my wife made last year which we've been saving incase we couldn't get any this year. Our 2 trees have hardly any nuts on them this year so I've had to raid some that are growing at the side of the road We gave several jars away last year so would like plenty for ourselves this year.

The walnut liqueur is palinka based and the recipe says that we should get 4 1/2 litres from 2 litres of palinka so it's not very strong, maybe around 20-25 proof. We tried next door's and it was VERY easy to drink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.