Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Property purchase post Brexit

Property purchase post Brexit

Old Sep 2nd 2021, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property purchase post Brexit

I would like to know if anyone, covered by the Brexit withdrawal agreement, has purchased an urban property (nothing special about it) in Hungary since the offical Brexit, at the start of this year.

i.e. No Hungarian citizen included on the contract, not married to one or an EU country citizen etc. Just a UK citizen covered by the Withdrawal Agreement (I have completed all the paper work and have the cards etc).

If so, were you asked to seek permission from the local council, and did you have to pay the 50,000ft application fee for foreign nationals.
As I have been asked to complete this process.

I guess I was hoping this maybe covered as a right under the Withdrawal Agreement but it is not specifially mentioned.

I was thinking of approaching the UK embassy and the EU commission to see if it was ever considered or specifically excluded.

Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property purchase post Brexit

I don't think this is EU-related. I had no difficulty buying a property in Hungary before it joined the EU; I wasn't even living there. I had to get permission from the municipality, but that's normally just a formality.

In fact, that was a significant factor in choosing Hungary: other countries in Eastern Europe that I considered were much stricter on foreigners buying property before they joined the EU.

50,000ft is what, a hundred quid? I presume that's not a deal-breaker.
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, I did some more reading and it seems the preserved rights in UK Withdrawal Agreement only apply to certain things like residency.

In the case of Hungary, that allows citizens of other EU countries to buy residential property with out requiring permission, that is lost for UK citizens covered under the withdrawal agreement.
And yes, it is not much relative to the purchase price, legal fees and purchase tax, so I will just "suck it up"
Thanks again for the response..
Old Sep 30th 2021, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

I got the permission, it took just over two weeks.