Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me what this is?

Can someone tell me what this is?

Old Oct 6th 2021, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can someone tell me what this is?

Our house ground floor is just over a metre from garden level. In the middle of the steps on both sides is this what I think is for storing wood or maybe it's something else.
Does anyone know what it is?
A friend suggested we turn it into a den/kennel for the dogs.

Old Oct 6th 2021, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Dog den - yes
wood storage - yes
or a den for the pre-school grandchildren to play in.
In the construction it was probably easier to leave the hole rather than get all the materials to full fill the space which would need a concrete slab on top with rebar in it to stop cracking anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:07 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I would level it out and put a wood pallet under there and use it for firewood stoarge in the winter time if you use wood heat. In the warm months I would not leave anything under there or you may attract a snake or rodents to take up residence. Of course you could make a place for your dogs to hang out in the shade if that spot gets any daytime shade.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Dog den - yes
wood storage - yes
or a den for the pre-school grandchildren to play in.
In the construction it was probably easier to leave the hole rather than get all the materials to full fill the space which would need a concrete slab on top with rebar in it to stop cracking anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I would level it out and put a wood pallet under there and use it for firewood stoarge in the winter time if you use wood heat. In the warm months I would not leave anything under there or you may attract a snake or rodents to take up residence. Of course you could make a place for your dogs to hang out in the shade if that spot gets any daytime shade.
I'm not sure about storing wood in there because wood stored at the back will probably be there forever as it's not very high so will be bit back breaking to reach those bits.

For a dog den I'll probably insulate it so we can leave the dogs outside in the winter months when we go out all day. Also add a covered terrace so they can watch the rain from inside!

I feel quite annoyed with what looks like loose gravel inside the "hole". I have wondered if it was covering up something so will have a look once our new puppy, Milli the GSD (Ordas), settles down and isn't having to be chased to get things she picks up from the ground! First photo 10 weeks old when we got her. Second photo a week later!

Last edited by FenTiger; Oct 6th 2021 at 8:26 am.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:27 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm not sure about storing wood in there because wood stored at the back will probably be there forever as it's not very high so will be bit back breaking to reach those bits.

For a dog den I'll probably insulate it so we can leave the dogs outside in the winter months when we go out all day. Also add a covered terrace so they can watch the rain from inside!

A dog den with a covered terrace sounds good. What a cute puppy you have in these 2 photographs.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely dog!
Reminds me of our late Alexa - a hybrid of GSD and Malinois (Belgian SD).
I'd be careful with this hole, looks to me as if the roof is not that stable - so if it should fall down ...
PS:
Are you Brits allowed to use GSD again?
I read somewhere that a long time ago the name was changed to "Alsatians" ...

Last edited by wolfi; Oct 6th 2021 at 11:12 am.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Lovely dog!
Reminds me of our late Alexa - a hybrid of GSD and Malinois (Belgian SD).
I'd be careful with this hole, looks to me as if the roof is not that stable - so if it should fall down ...
PS:
Are you Brits allowed to use GSD again?
I read somewhere that a long time ago the name was changed to "Alsatians" ...
I do sometimes think Milli has been crossed with a Malinois. Maybe in six months time I'll have a better idea.
I'm sure the roof is fine. It does look bowed but then the sides at the front don't loom perpendicular to the ground. I'll be having a look at it again.
I always called GSDs Alsatians for decades then discovered they were called GSDs so have stuck with that.
Ordas in Hungarian means three colours.

Last edited by FenTiger; Oct 6th 2021 at 3:55 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I do sometimes think Milli has been crossed with a Malinois. Maybe in six months time I'll have a better idea.
I'm sure the roof is fine. It does look bowed but then the sides at the front don't loom perpendicular to the ground. I'll be having a look at it again.
I always called GSDs Alsatians for decades then discovered they were called GSDs so have stuck with that.
"German shepherd" was considered unacceptable in Britain after the first world war, "Alsatian" was politically correct!
Old Oct 6th 2021, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

A bit OT:
We got our Alexa in the village near the Balaton where we lived, her mother was a GSD. And when people asked us we'd say:
Her father was a Belgian tourist ...
She was so friendly, especially to children, would bring them her frisbee and wait until they threw it for her to fetch it.
She made it to 16 years ...
Old Oct 6th 2021, 7:00 pm
Banned

I think your right, I also see Malinois in the face. What a cutie Milli is.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
A bit OT:
We got our Alexa in the village near the Balaton where we lived, her mother was a GSD. And when people asked us we'd say:
Her father was a Belgian tourist ...
She was so friendly, especially to children, would bring them her frisbee and wait until they threw it for her to fetch it.
She made it to 16 years ...
We got Milli from a friend's nephew in Miskolc. Cost 35.000 forints. We saw both the mother and father but neither looked like GSD Ordas. Time will tell if the mother met a Belgian tourist!
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I think your right, I also see Malinois in the face. What a cutie Milli is.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
"German shepherd" was considered unacceptable in Britain after the first world war, "Alsatian" was politically correct!
I much prefer GSD than Alsatian. As a kid a friend's family dog, an alsatian, chased me down their garden and bit me on the bum on two occasions.
Our other dog, Archie the sprocker, is still adjusting to not being top dog!
Next vaccination today or tomorrow then we can take her for walks. Hope she doesn't get spooked by the guard dogs at every house we pass. Neighbours all around us have dogs and Milli gets a bit spooked outside when they're barking and runs inside.
Yesterday she stole my goat cheese whilst my wife was unpacking the shopping. I knew something was wrong because she was nowhere to be seen and our Archie looked like he was trying to say 'Why I got nothing?'.