Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Postal Addresses

Postal Addresses

Old May 8th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Postal Addresses

Now this may seem like an obvious question, but...

How do you write addresses; is it:

Area code, Name of town
Street and number
Hungary

or

Name of town
Street and number
Area Code
Hungary

Many thanks!
Old May 8th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Postal Addresses

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Now this may seem like an obvious question, but...

How do you write addresses; is it:

Area code, Name of town
Street and number
Hungary

or

Name of town
Street and number
Area Code
Hungary

Many thanks!
The first one! Taken from my ID card:
[POSTCODE] [TOWN]
[ROAD NAME] [HOUSE NO.]
[HUNGARY]
Old May 9th 2011, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Polgardi

Both formats are equally good.

When you fill out a yellow postal pay-in slip, they have the postcode boxes at the bottom, so you would put the postcode there. If you just send a letter, you can write it whichever way you like.

Regards,

Ria
Old May 9th 2011, 9:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Ria, am I correct in thinking that you are supposed to write the address in the bottom right hand corner of the envelope? A year or so ago, my eldest daughter was seriously reprimanded (in Hungarian so she didn't have a clue what she was saying) by a woman in the post office who insisted she buy a new envelope for her letter and reposition the address. This is the only time we have encountered this so perhaps she was just a bit of a jobs worth
Old May 10th 2011, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Rural,

Yes, you are supposed to write the address in the bottom right hand corner. The sender's address goes in the top left hand corner.

Still, if you put the address in the middle, they don't usually say anything, I don't know why she made a scene, it's not such a big deal as long as they can read the address.

Regards,

Ria
Old May 10th 2011, 9:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ria, must have been a jobsworth or perhaps she was having an "off day", we haven't posted anything at that post office since - too scared to
Old May 11th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for your help
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

I don't think it really matters that much which way your postal address is written as long as it has all the relative details
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:39 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

No, apparently it is the law! It should be written on the bottom right of the envelope otherwise Posta have the right to refuse it. Thankfully, few of them bother.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
No, apparently it is the law! It should be written on the bottom right of the envelope otherwise Posta have the right to refuse it. Thankfully, few of them bother.
Worse bureaucracy than in Germany ;-) and I can say that being part German and also having Hungarian relatives/ friends!
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Maybe as you say then it depends on the post office a I have had so many different versions of address writing I could of understood if they said something but they have'nt yet anyway.