Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Plot at bottom of a hill

Plot at bottom of a hill

Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plot at bottom of a hill

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
Fen Tigers lived on the marshes of the Cambridgeshire fens, so I'm sure he will feel at home if it gets a bit boggy when it rains.
Of course the first 'Fen Tiger' read a Boxer, named Eric Boon. That was in the late 30s.
Followed by the next tiger born in the same town...that is Dave Boy Green reaching Euro light welter weight in mid 70s.
But on topic...the Fens albeit at sea level very rarely flood due to the pumps and drains, sluices that take water to the Wash or flood plains ...all done by a Dutchman Vermuyden.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

The Fen Tigers fought against the draining of the Fens and would sabotage pumps and drainage works but I'm sure you are aware of this, however, others may not be.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

The bidding on the house went up and up and up so after a re-think about the renovations needing to be completed decided to pull out. We did check out the bogginess of the garden and it seemed satisfactory for the area at this time of the year as long as no one is planning to play rugby on it every day. Shame as it was a really nice house.
The staircase was a bit garish and I was hoping to replace it but the money I was going to use was being eaten up by each higher bid. We were the first viewers and the second to start putting in a bid. So it's back to the drawing board.

Old Feb 1st 2021, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
The Fen Tigers fought against the draining of the Fens and would sabotage pumps and drainage works but I'm sure you are aware of this, however, others may not be.
There's some new culverts being installed around the village. And nope, I'm not creeping around after curfew sabotaging the works carried out. I think that maybe this village needs more ditches/culverts especially on the flat side of the village. The garden of local friends of ours looks like a muddy quagmire. The guilty culprit is one of their dogs which lives outside! Come summer it will look pristine as it always does when we have visited them.

Old Feb 1st 2021, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wellinever
Of course the first 'Fen Tiger' read a Boxer, named Eric Boon. That was in the late 30s.
Followed by the next tiger born in the same town...that is Dave Boy Green reaching Euro light welter weight in mid 70s.
But on topic...the Fens albeit at sea level very rarely flood due to the pumps and drains, sluices that take water to the Wash or flood plains ...all done by a Dutchman Vermuyden.
Our local friends seem to think I have no experience of the boggy terrain around here so I'm going to have to educate him. Might have to do this via one of their sons, who can both speak English, as my Hungarian, both spoken and sign language, isn't even above basic. Too many start and stop attempts.

Dave 'Boy' Green - I remember this boxer quite well as I used to love watching boxing but not so much these days! I saw him once in Peterborough when I lived there.

I'm sure you are aware of Joe Bugner, born in Szeged, whose family fled Hungary in 1956. They settled in a village called St.Ives, in Huntingdonshire, near the Fens!