Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Plot at bottom of a hill

Plot at bottom of a hill

Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plot at bottom of a hill

Has anyone got any advice or recommendation about what to look for if buying a plot at the bottom of a hill? Unlike where we are at the moment, halfway up a hill, the plot we are thinking of buying is pretty level although very bumpy! A friend has mentioned the plot will be waterlogged alot of the time when there are heavy rains due to the downward flow of rainwater from top of the hill.

Obviously a waterlogged patch of land is due to the rainwater not being able to penetrate the ground. There are culverts where the road is but I'm thinking within the plot. I thought of digging a very long ditch, maybe a metre down, then filling with gravel at the bottom (not sure of depth), then refilling with soil.

Might be better to get a land survey done?
Old Jan 9th 2021, 8:56 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plot at bottom of a hill

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Has anyone got any advice or recommendation about what to look for if buying a plot at the bottom of a hill? Unlike where we are at the moment, halfway up a hill, the plot we are thinking of buying is pretty level although very bumpy! A friend has mentioned the plot will be waterlogged alot of the time when there are heavy rains due to the downward flow of rainwater from top of the hill.

Obviously a waterlogged patch of land is due to the rainwater not being able to penetrate the ground. There are culverts where the road is but I'm thinking within the plot. I thought of digging a very long ditch, maybe a metre down, then filling with gravel at the bottom (not sure of depth), then refilling with soil.

Might be better to get a land survey done?
You really should keep looking for a better plot. Why invest the money to build on a plot like that and then have to spend a lot of money to rectify a drainage issue that may or may not be successful. I would not walk but run away from a property in a low lying area unless your looking for a wet season lake front property. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
You really should keep looking for a better plot. Why invest the money to build on a plot like that and then have to spend a lot of money to rectify a drainage issue that may or may not be successful. I would not walk but run away from a property in a low lying area unless your looking for a wet season lake front property. Just my opinion.
I see your point. I like the bit about a wet season lake front property. The ground as mentioned where we are which is halfway up is also waterlogged. My sister-in-law has rang neighbours living on one side and they have stated there has only been a one time when the garden got flooded due to the culverts not being able to do their job. I think that occasion was when the country was hit with massive hail stones. I think the best way forward is to employ a land surveyor to write up a report before we commit.

There's a church building next to it which is being renovated and I was worried that if it becomes a community centre we'd have increased traffic and possibly cars blocking the entrance/exit to the property but we have been told it's being converted into the vicar or priest's abode for the church on the same plot. So we should be okay on that point.

Old Jan 10th 2021, 7:34 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a construction professional, I don't believe a 'land surveyor' is normally expected, or qualified, to pronounce on rainfall, drainage, or related matters. Proceed with much caution.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Received a letter yesterday from the mayor to inform us we would not be able to build on the plot we were interested in buying. My wife had difficulty understanding the content of the letter so she will ask her sister for help. I translated it using Google Translate by scanning the PDF file on my laptop.

I'm at a loss to understand why this plot is for sale if it cannot be built on. I think it might be a good idea to pass the information onto the owner so they can take it up with the mayor. The plot is next to a church and a soon to be nearly renovated vicar's house. I've a sneaky feeling the mayor and church might be working together to buy it but it's quite an expensive piece of land. I've seen what the local "council" has done to my favourite chill out place, Malyi-To, I.e. zoned off the best part for accomodation and locals who will have to pay to use it.
Probably best to walk away!
Old Jan 19th 2021, 10:20 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Best to walk away from it. It does sound like their possibly could be some backhanded dealing going on but as I said before unless you want a wet weather lake better to walk away and find another property. I have a wet weather lake (poorly drained low spot) at the back of my garden that backs up to a swamp. You really don't want to be near a location that water stands because of mosquitoes during the warm weather months. They can be carriers of disease. It would only be good for grazing sheep or goats.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're going to look at other plots and keep an eye out for a property already built or a nearly finished new build.
I agree about the backhanded deal that might be going on. I suspect the owner is going to have to drastically reduce the price. The owner had bought it for his daughters! I don't think they'd be happy getting less!
As far as my eyes can see looking at the far end I can't see any risks of a lake forming or a swamp. We get enough mosquitoes around here but should be much less next year because we've emptied two large barrels of rainwater which weren't serving any purpose except attract mosquitoes.

Old Jan 21st 2021, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to look at other plots and keep an eye out for a property already built or a nearly finished new build.
I agree about the backhanded deal that might be going on. I suspect the owner is going to have to drastically reduce the price. The owner had bought it for his daughters! I don't think they'd be happy getting less!
As far as my eyes can see looking at the far end I can't see any risks of a lake forming or a swamp. We get enough mosquitoes around here but should be much less next year because we've emptied two large barrels of rainwater which weren't serving any purpose except attract mosquitoes.
I think I'm correct in saying that the Miskolc municipality spray for mosquitos every year.

Old Jan 21st 2021, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I think I'm correct in saying that the Miskolc municipality spray for mosquitos every year.
You are correct this area spray frequently to kill mosquitoes but sometimes a little too late. Annoyingly we find out the spray is happening a couple of hours beforehand. No direct announcement. Often neighbours tip us off!
Old Jan 25th 2021, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've been trying to find a website about latest rules for non-EU citizens buying residential properties but everything I find seems out of date!
We're going to look at some plots with an estate agency this coming Thursday and before then have a peek at a few plots we have been told about.
I will probably have to put down my wife as the buyer but can't see any problem with both our names on the title as owners.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to find a website about latest rules for non-EU citizens buying residential properties but everything I find seems out of date!
We're going to look at some plots with an estate agency this coming Thursday and before then have a peek at a few plots we have been told about.
I will probably have to put down my wife as the buyer but can't see any problem with both our names on the title as owners.
The solicitor you use to draw up the contract will know - but as far as I know foreigners can buy residential property with permission (which is almost never refused) Down by the Balaton near Keszthely there are enough (dubious) Ukraines (that are not ethnic Hungarian) to have some signs written up in Ukraine so I wouldn't expect a problem with an ex-EU, ex-pat Brit with a Hungarian wife..

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jan 25th 2021 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. Will engage services of a solicitor.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

We are currently bidding on a house in the village. It ticks nearly all the boxes and is the best house we have viewed. Unfortunately there's alot of interest in the house. We're currently the highest bidder but we have a feeling someone else will put in a higher bid after today's viewings.
More news later.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Being a Fen tiger I would have thought you would be aware of low lying ground, but accept that not many hills in the Fens.
If at bottom of a hill and you can see a large surrounding area of high land...keep away unless you intend building on stilts.
Any basement will be damp !!!
Old Jan 31st 2021, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Being a Fen tiger I would have thought you would be aware of low lying ground, but accept that not many hills in the Fens.
If at bottom of a hill and you can see a large surrounding area of high land...keep away unless you intend building on stilts.
Any basement will be damp !!!
Fen Tigers lived on the marshes of the Cambridgeshire fens, so I'm sure he will feel at home if it gets a bit boggy when it rains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.