Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Organising social gatherings

Organising social gatherings

Old Jun 7th 2022, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Organising social gatherings

I've been here in Hungary nearly two years. The first year a local deaf couple organised a few social gatherings. No, correction, they were the only local deaf couple to organise social gatherings! Okay, maybe we could have organised something but it was difficult because my wife had to consider her mother to ensure she would be okay at home alone. The second year we organised a thank you party for those who helped us move to our new house. After that nothing happened. Not even a Christmas meal or party. We could have stepped in but our feelings were that nobody else is organising anything, not even a stroll around Malyi-to. A recurring issue with one deaf couple is they cannot afford visiting places. Yesterday at the first social gathering organised same local deaf couple mentioned above I tried to explain to one half of another deaf couple organising a social gathering or visiting somewhere doesn't have to cost anything except the petrol to get there and home. If they'd brought sandwiches and cold drinks we'd save money on buying food wherever we go. The response was .... I'm not sure about this!!!
My Hungarian wife told everybody it was about time we got together and also organised an event. There were very few heads nodding in agreement. Three times I'd tried to organise something but it fell flat before I'd finished talking about it.
I don't know if any of you are in similar situation as us. I often think why does it have to be so difficult to organise something. We, as a deaf couple, get free bus and tram travel in Miskolc. For the bus from Mályi to Miskolc we get a 90% discount on the bus fare. Most bus fares to Miskolc are about 300 Hungarian forints so the fare would be only 30 cents. Some deaf couples live in Miskolc so nothing to pay for bus or tram fare. I feel like banging my head against a wall sometimes.
Regularly the local Sinosz deaf charity organise social gatherings and everyone goes there.
Sorry, if this sounds like a bit of a rant.

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 7th 2022 at 7:33 am.