Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Off topic but any advise on killer cats?

Off topic but any advise on killer cats?

Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic but any advise on killer cats?

Originally Posted by BEVS
I love my old pusscat. We had two.

Is this an ex feral cat? Has he been neutered?

There is not much you can do other than have him put down to save the wildlife or keep him indoors.

Or you may find a vet to give him a tranq. It has been known.
No, he's not feral, followed my son home from a bus stop one day and wouldn't leave. We assumed he belonged to an elderly in the village who had recently died as his colour is very unusual and nobody had ever seen him in the village before.

Out of all the cats, he was the one who never hunted - too lazy....

I've accepted the voles, mice and rabbits - our neighbours at the castle shoot the rabbits due to the damage their burrowing does to the foundations and so, whilst I hate it, I accept it's his natural instinct and they are being shot anyhow - though we do save them from him when possible.

So far though, he has left the birds alone and they have happily coexisted, he has a collar full of bells and quickly realised they give the birds plenty of warning and even trying is just a waste of his time and energy - told you he was lazy.
A nest full of nearly ready fledgling's is a different story though and an easy target.... He has been let out now and sprayed with water every time he went near the hedge and so far, so good, he hasn't went near it at all today and no babies have been brought as gifts. Another 5 or 6 days and they should fledge then and harmony will be restored until next Spring
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:23 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I'm afraid BEV is right ... unlike dogs, cat are untrainable so its a choice of putting up with his bad habit or having him PTS.

My cat often brings back dead birds, mole, voles etc which she leaves on the doorstep. I've found though if she has cat food always available for her, the amount of wildlife she kills tends to decrease. Her hunting is also seasonable .. in winter when all the birds have disappeared and small animals have hibernated the killing stops! Funnily enough, during the 6 months we spent in England last year she gave up hunting completely, but started again as soon as we got back to Hungary!
Ours was the other way round and he certainly has a taste for it now.
Likewise with regards the food though he's fussy and if we feed him dried food, he hunts but if we feed him wet food, he hunts less. In Hungary, I stopped feeding the animals wet food altogether because as soon as you put it out, within 10 minutes, the remnants had - well you know. Having a weak stomach made that a no and so I switched to dried.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thinks

You could clip the claws to lessen ability. Clipping is not permanent.

A tranq from a vet would also help a little with this

edit....

Threads don't have to be necessarily Hungary related y'know. The forum is primarily for Hungary stuff but the odd non-Hungary thread won't do any harm and might be interesting for you all.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 19th 2014 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Ours was the other way round and he certainly has a taste for it now.
Likewise with regards the food though he's fussy and if we feed him dried food, he hunts but if we feed him wet food, he hunts less. In Hungary, I stopped feeding the animals wet food altogether because as soon as you put it out, within 10 minutes, the remnants had - well you know. Having a weak stomach made that a no and so I switched to dried.
Just a disclaimer before I say this...I know zilch about cats! But I was just wondering if it would be possible to give your cat home cooked meat. I know that this is just not practical for everyone. We are fortunate (or I should say my dog is) that we slightly cook chicken/pork for our dog every morning. She was on a raw food diet before that but went off it. We don't leave food out, she knows what time breakfast is :-) I suppose cats are more of a law unto themselves.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is, cats don't really kill things because they are hungry, it is more to keep in practice or to be able to present their owners with meaty gifts. I think dogs are more lazy, if someone gives them food they won't bother trying to hunt for themselves.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The trouble is, cats don't really kill things because they are hungry, it is more to keep in practice or to be able to present their owners with meaty gifts. I think dogs are more lazy, if someone gives them food they won't bother trying to hunt for themselves.
Nah, don't agree. If I gave my dogs a ton of meat to eat and then presented a squirrel, fox or any other fluffy animal in front of them they'd go for it. It's a natural instinct of theirs.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:43 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Bevs - daughter wanted to get the cat claw covers, you get them in funky colours, glittery ones etc Such a girly girl my eldest. Along with the bootee idea, I crossed this out as we have a stream running through the garden and he often hunts there for water voles. Worried that if he slipped down the bank that he couldn't use his claws to climb back out again, likewise if he managed to get up a tree.

Fib - I would say it's the other way round. Feed the cat raw meat and he will happily lie in the conservatory all day with a full tum whereas Plum, no matter how much she has eaten, if she sees something move in the field, she is off and nothing can stop her. The hunter instinct in her is so strong though she has never actually killed anything that we know of. The other cats are different, they seem to instinctively hunt whereas this soppy monster never hunted - it's one of the reasons he was the one brought over. He only hunts when he has dry food and so I think I'll need to give into him!

Pol- I just don't have the time in the mornings and have you seen the price of meat over here - it's scary! Might stock up when I'm over..... With the dog it's easier as he is always "at home" so we feed her, she eats it. The cat is not always there at meals times and we are out a lot so need to leave the food out for when he decides to return - dried is the best option for this

Fen- Yes, ours is like that.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs may run after things but they are unlikely to catch anything and kill it. They are pack animals and not efficient solitary hunters like cats. Cats ambush their prey rather than outrun it. Even my Charlie runs after cats if he sees them (his eyesight is poor) but I don't think he will ever catch one.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Oh I don't know, our dog got hold of a fox once by it's tale, she wasn't messing about. Dachshunds were bred to hunt and kill and no matter how well fed she was, she would "hunt" anything that moves - she is never given the chance by us to prove or disprove the killing part.
Each dog is different though, just as each cat is different and whilst some of ours hunted for fun, 3 bells never did and it's only since being here he has started to hunt, he killed and ate one and obviously liked the taste of rabbit - had there been rabbits in Hungary, the story might be different.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Our dog will gladly kill anything that moves....but like Rural...we don't give her the opportunity. She was a trained working dog before we got her, she is a Parson Russell Terrier...and has dispatched a fair few moles in her time I can tell you. We don't encourage her of course...but unfortunately a few Hungarian moles have met their maker in her jaws. However, its very quick...one shake..job done.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Oh I don't know, our dog got hold of a fox once by it's tale, she wasn't messing about. Dachshunds were bred to hunt and kill and no matter how well fed she was, she would "hunt" anything that moves - she is never given the chance by us to prove or disprove the killing part.
Each dog is different though, just as each cat is different and whilst some of ours hunted for fun, 3 bells never did and it's only since being here he has started to hunt, he killed and ate one and obviously liked the taste of rabbit - had there been rabbits in Hungary, the story might be different.
I have never seen a fox, rabbit or mole in Hungary. As to foxes maybe the number of dogs in the neighbourhood keeps them away.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I would say foxes are one of the most common wild animals in my area of Hungary. If coming home late at night I will likely see 3 or 4 foxes and a couple of deer. I don't think I've seen a rabbit. I rarely see the moles but there is plenty of evidence of their activity on my land. Thankfully Charlie doesn't dig up the molehills.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I would say foxes are one of the most common wild animals in my area of Hungary. If coming home late at night I will likely see 3 or 4 foxes and a couple of deer. I don't think I've seen a rabbit. I rarely see the moles but there is plenty of evidence of their activity on my land. Thankfully Charlie doesn't dig up the molehills.
Have never seen any deer either.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:01 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Have never seen any deer either.

You should come visit us Fen - especially during the rutting season. Come at dusk and you will hear 4 or 5 stags rutting just a few hundreds yards from our house and on the road there you will see plenty of deer and if lucky, wild boar, golden jackals and pine martins. Only ever seen 1 or 2 rabbits though plenty of hares.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are no bears in Hungary these days but there are some still in Croatia so I will have to keep an eye out for them. I will try not to antagonise them by sleeping in their beds or eating their porridge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.